45 Y/O 5 years to go!!!

katwillny

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi All. Long time lurker, havent posted in ages. DW and I are both 45 and are planning to make the ER move in five years 7 tops. The reason i say 7 is because by then both of our children will be out of college and on to their careers if not graduate studies. We have done a decent jobs at funding their 529 plans since their birth and provided that they stay in state school, they will be fully funded. We currently live in the North East and plan to retire overseas, the Caribbean to be specific which is where i was born . We just finalized the building of our home which we cash flowed and are very excited to start the furnishing process. The plan is to be as off the grid as possible and are doing the preparations now, i.e, solar panels, inverter with battery packs, wells for fresh water ect. (solar panels and batteries we are saving for as we go along, no sense in installing them now.
As for our current financial situation: 475K in retirement accounts combined, about 70k in brokerages accounts and about 45k in cash. Presently we have about 90k in equity in our current home in The States. DW will be fully vested by the time we retire and will be eligible for a full pension at 60 which we anticipate to be approximately $2100 p/m.
Being that we will have no mortgage and will have paid for newer vehicles we anticipate our monthly expenses to be approximately 1500 p/m, that includes healthcare overseas for both of us which is a huge plus.
Great site full of great people willing to share how they have been able to do it.
thanks all
Kat.

Last edited:
Welcome out of lurkdom. There are a few members who have posted asking the way in their retirement home building. (Especially Hermit). You'd get a lot of interest if you posted things you liked about your give design, adventures of building, etc. It must have been challenging building in another country

It must have been challenging building in another country
It was challenging but we were very fortunate to have a very decent builder. Plus I have family there and they have been a great help.

Welcome! The next 5 years will go faster than you think. Hope to hear more from you over time. Building your home sounds like quite an adventure !

Good luck. Save as much money as you can. You're situation is a little lean for me. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom