529 plan mistake

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
I did a withdrawal recently from 529 plan.

But when I received the confirmation, it shows a DEPOSIT.

Don't know if I did the mistake or fund company (I suspect me).

Any idea what I do next ? I'll obviously call Monday.

Where did the deposit come from? Check the account to which you had planned to withdraw the funds, and see if the that account shows a withdrawal, in which case, you did make a deposit to the 529 somehow. Hope it wasn't too much money.

So can't you just do two withdrawals, one that nets out the original, and the second for your original intent? I am guessing 99.999 percent of these errors are not on the fund end.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

So can't you just do two withdrawals, one that nets out the original, and the second for your original intent? I am guessing 99.999 percent of these errors are not on the fund end.

Yes, I'm sure it was my mistake and I can do the two withdrawals.

I'm just wondering how/if I should document this mistake for tax purposes.

I'd like to avoid getting a 1099-Q for "2 times the real distribution" - as I don't have expenses to match the 2x amount.

I just didn't know if the fund company can do a "reversal" or something to make my mistake not look like a deposit and withdrawal.

Thanks !

Contact the fund administrator. I suspect that they will reverse the deposit as a mistaken contribution (and it will be reported that way for tax purposes) and then the distribution as a distribution that will then jive with your expenses.

I had a similar mistaken contribution issue a few years ago with my HSA and I suspect it will be handled similarly.

Back
Top Bottom