A Test of ER Resolve

My GF is a bit too label conscious. I need her to think like you do! :)
You probably do not have a Bevmo close to you. Else, their deal of 5c-for-the-2nd-bottle-of-the-same-label will allow you to tell your GF with a straight face that the bottle you are pouring from is $20 or more.

I am only a couple of miles from both Bevmo and Total Wine, and between the two I can always find some good deal. Yes, if I moved permanently to the boondocks as I once entertained the idea, I would really miss the amenities of the suburb of a metropolitan area,

You probably do not have a Bevmo close to you. Else, their deal of 5c-for-the-2nd-bottle-of-the-same-label will allow you to tell your GF with a straight face that the bottle you are pouring from is $20 or more.

I am only a couple of miles from both Bevmo and Total Wine, and between the two I can always find some good deal. Yes, if I moved permanently to the boondocks as I once entertained the idea, I would really miss the amenities of the suburb of a metropolitan area,

By the time I filled up my tank to get to Total Wine, it would about be a $20 bottle of wine before I took the bottle to the counter and paid for it! Our towns "wine center" requires you to take a machete with you and cut through the cigarette smoke of the cashiers (yes, they do it on the job) and about every "patron" just to find the wine.
I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't illegal in some states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I figured out how to drink cheaply. The $8 high rollers here need to discover the joys of the Botta Box. Now if I can figure out why I drink alone.

Last edited:
Our towns "wine center" requires you to take a machete with you and cut through the cigarette smoke of the cashiers (yes, they do it on the job) and about every "patron" just to find the wine.

I am pretty sure that in WA you cannot smoke within 40 feet of a human being.

Ha

Lots of advice here to not watch CNBC, but I say all things in moderation! Here's a nugget from Jack Bogle yesterday (including a line I thought I originated in a totally different context).
"Don't do something, just stand there........"

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/20/investing-legend-jack-bogle-stay-the-course.html

As cool as Bogle is, and he is a legend, remember that he makes his livelihood by having investors stay invested with his firm .... His comments represent a conflict of interest if you ask me, no matter how right or wrong he may be.

As cool as Bogle is, and he is a legend, remember that he makes his livelihood by having investors stay invested with his firm .... His comments represent a conflict of interest if you ask me, no matter how right or wrong he may be.

At 86 years old, seven heart attacks and a heart transplant, I'm not thinking he is to worried about future earnings. He is a true investor advocate that has exposed the flaws of active fund investing. I am certainly a disciple.

I don't think Bogle is financially connected to Vanguard any more than I am. Could be wrong about this but my understanding is he is just an old retired guy.

I know how you feel. ER'd Sept 18, 2015. I thought having gone through 2008 would have hardened me much more than it has. I thought my response to a downturn would be, "Well, nothing could be as bad as that was. This is cake".

But I didn't know myself very well. I am quite unhinged by the current drop, even though I am 50/50 and have 3 years of living expenses in cash. I learned from 2008 not to give in to the anxiety and cash out, but the living with fear is putting a serious damper on retirement.

A couple of coping strategies are marginally working for me. I review my plan A,B and C which makes me feel a little more in control. Also I tell myself that it was a waste to ER if I'm going to MAKE MYSELF as miserable as I was in my last job.

I retired Jan. 2008 & every time we have a larger than usual drop my mind goes to " Oh no not this again".I then remind myself that I lost 40% of my portfolio and even though I complained a lot I did not sell or go back to work and everything turned out fine .

By the time I filled up my tank to get to Total Wine, it would about be a $20 bottle of wine before I took the bottle to the counter and paid for it! Our towns "wine center" requires you to take a machete with you and cut through the cigarette smoke of the cashiers (yes, they do it on the job) and about every "patron" just to find the wine.

Illegal to smoke on the job - or use a machete?

Here in CA we have some of the most restrictive smoking laws. As a non smoker I like it. I can see where smokers would not like it, though.

Illegal to smoke on the job - or use a machete?

Here in CA we have some of the most restrictive smoking laws. As a non smoker I like it. I can see where smokers would not like it, though.

As long as you aren't threatening anyone with either, I am sure you are fine here! Some small rural restaurants are more progressive here. The smoking and nonsmoking section may have an arms distance between them.

I'm with you guys; I truly hope the class of 2015 does become the example for bad sequence of returns!

I keep reminding myself that this is why I worked 2 more years to get to a 3% WR. I figured the worst that happens is (a) I don't get to increase my spending based upon a new all time portfolio high at 3% and (b) there is a possibility that I will need to live solely on SSI at the age of 90 or so. In either event there is no denying that the past 7 months have been AMAZING.

I'm with you guys; I truly hope the class of 2015 does become the example for bad sequence of returns!

I keep reminding myself that this is why I worked 2 more years to get to a 3% WR. I figured the worst that happens is (a) I don't get to increase my spending based upon a new all time portfolio high at 3% and (b) there is a possibility that I will need to live solely on SSI at the age of 90 or so. In either event there is no denying that the past 7 months have been AMAZING.

I hope the class of 2015 won't have to endure any severe sequence of return risk. As for the past 7 months...no big deal.

I retired Jan. 2008 & every time we have a larger than usual drop my mind goes to " Oh no not this again".I then remind myself that I lost 40% of my portfolio and even though I complained a lot I did not sell or go back to work and everything turned out fine .

+1, retired March 08, did not panic and all was, eventually , well.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just checked my account balances for the first time since January 5th when I pulled two months cash out. (Instead of the full 1st Q spending - my lame attempt at market timing.) Since fear and greed are my portfolios greatest enemy I try not to look at the balance anytime volatility is high, both up or down.

I am surprised I'm only down about 4% (of course Friday was a good catch up day.). On the minus side the market took care the rebalancing I was going to do next week. Or I could look at as a day off from the 10 two hour work days a year I put into my portfolio manager job.

de​
I'm with you guys; I truly hope the class of 2015 does NOT become the example for bad sequence of returns!

:facepalm::rolleyes::hide: EEK! I just noticed that the word NOT is missing from my original post! Sorry about that!!!!

Or maybe because he knows Vanguard customer service is horrible, they can't handle any more calls. I've just experienced this recently and question whether I should move be my 401k to Vanguard at all. Just terrible service. I've heard it's pretty common.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I am in bit of a different spot. I ER'ed April 1, 2015 but have my equities invested for dividend income. So I pay less attention to the day to day price fluctuations and focus on the companies' ability to sustain the dividend, and grow it. I have had a few dividend increases in the last two months, which helps to allay the fears. The portfolio is primarily large cap, blue chips with strong dividend growth histories. That said, i have losses on paper that aren't fun.

-BB

Or maybe because he knows Vanguard customer service is horrible, they can't handle any more calls. I've just experienced this recently and question whether I should move be my 401k to Vanguard at all. Just terrible service. I've heard it's pretty common.
I don't know how long you've been with VG. I've had to call in recently several times (unusual for me). I've been on hold a bit but nothing terrible. When there is market panic like recently, I think that should be thought of as unusual circumstances.

What matters most to me are costs and availability of the investment options I need.

Also it has been reported that VG has experienced large inflows in recent years. I suppose there may be some growing pains. I'd suggest you give it more time but if you want to move on there are some good alternative out there.

I've been with Vanguard since the early 90s. I never experience anything bad. I was able to transfer money in and out with no problem, I had slight problem with Fidelity before, as in they didn't want to part with my money, but not with vanguard.
This week Vanguard had made so many mistakes that it was unbelievable, they did the same to my secretary, it took them 6 months to transfer her money from another brokerage to Vanguard. I never thought it would happen to me until now.
The wait time didn't bother me, the messing up did. Too many mistakes that I didn't think I care to list here.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom