Notes after Three Years of Retirement

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired three years ago. Here are some observations:

1. I'm lazier than I imagined. I don't mean "lazy" in a critical, judgmental way; it's just the word that seems to capture it. There are a wide range of social, cultural, educational, and touring activities I could be doing, but by and large I just don't feel like it. I'm content if I have maybe one of these "things to do" per week. That's enough. I know retirees who like to have their calendar full of things to do, every day. Not me.

I'm happy with my routine, which usually involves a mix of walking my dog, visiting parks, taking care of chores around the house, dealing with texts and emails, riding my bike, watching Youtube, eating, napping, writing, and working on a project. Or just sitting around doing nothing in particular, just resting and reflecting. In fact, recently I've discovered that what I need is not so much another activity, but more non-activity -- times when I'm just walking or sitting in nature, doing nothing.

This has taken some adjustment. I've had to overcome the guilt of not being "productive," the guilt associated with living such a lax, easy life. There is still a little voice in the back of my head telling me I "should" be doing more with my remaining years. But there's a louder voice up front saying that I've worked plenty hard in my life, and I'm retired now, with nothing left to prove.

2. I notice that my personality has changed. I'm still mostly the same person I was three years ago, but I've changed in some ways, too. One of the main ways I've changed is that I'm friendlier and more open to people than I was before. When I was working, I was forced to deal with people -- and some of them were people I did not want to deal with. When I got home, I just wanted to be left alone. So I didn't develop many friends outside of work.

Since being retired, I've changed. I'm just a nicer person. I was always pretty nice, but often it was politeness, not genuine interest in the other person. I'm not saying I've been transformed into an extroverted empath or anything. I'm still a highly introverted person who mostly enjoys time alone. But I'm much more friendly and warm with people I meet. I'm much more open to friendships. I've cultivated two of them since retiring that I wouldn't have had the time or inclination for, before.

3. I'm surprised at how easy it is to fill the time. I had some concerns about not being able to fill all the time, 24/7, 365 days a year, but that hasn't been a problem. I'm surprised at how quickly the time goes.

Days are satisfying. I do a little exercise at the end of the day, which I learned from positive psychology, in which you ask yourself, "What are three things that went well today?" I never have a problem thinking of more than 10 of them. Life is good. I kind of wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. I'm not used to things being this smooth for this long.

4. I've forgotten the little stresses of work. I've been surprised when I go back and review my journals from those years, how much time I spent stressed about one thing or another. The cumulative nights of poor sleep, which carried over to ruin the next day. As you know, it's not just the hours you spend at work, but how those hours affect -- how they bleed over into -- your "leisure" time.

It's easy to forget about those little work-related stressors. I'm glad I made a record of them, so I can remind myself of what it was like.

My friends and family -- all of whom continue to work -- are also a good reminder. They are always talking about being slammed by their workload, pressured by work, stressed by colleagues, patients, or complaints. I offer support, and inside I'm thinking, "I'm glad that's not me anymore."

5. I still go back and forth on the question of moving. I have seriously considered several different options and got close to pulling the trigger once, but I've always decided to stay put. I've given some thought to 55+ communities, although I have some reservations about that. My current situation is pretty good, so I keep deciding that the effort/stress and expense of moving isn't worth it.

Some of this is "paradox of choice" material -- i.e., having so many choices that you get paralyzed, start regretting your choice, imagine better alternatives, etc. I recognize that I am probably wasting my time, and that I'd be better off just committing to where I am and forgetting about a move, but I keep drifting back to wondering about other places. The grass is always greener...

6. The current economic situation is no fun, but I'm three years in and still under 2% withdrawal rate, without social security (I'm 60, haven't drawn it yet). I've kept careful records of spending for the past three years and think I have a pretty realistic, road-tested estimate of what my expenses are. I'm not happy about the economy, but I've got plenty of cushion, so I'm not feeling any pressure.

Otoh, I do notice a reflexive tendency to tighten my belt. I don't really "need" to, but I have spent so much of my life being frugal, it's second nature. Especially at a time like this. But I also recognize that I'm fine.

Last edited:
Congrats! You seem to be doing retirement the right way, doing whatever you want to do. Keep up the good work!

Wow. Your #1 sounds just like me! And I'm very content in that mode.

Nice summary. I am a little short of a year into my retirement and I have similar experience. I feel that I really don't want to accomplish anything. I left a few home-improvement projects unfinished and I don't care. I fill up my days with endless working on my fruit trees, flowers, and vegetables. I don't seem to find time for travel anymore as the flowers and vegetables need almost my daily attentions.

I am only 4 months into retirement and read a lot of what I feel and do in your write-up.

Thanks for providing an update as it is hard to picture before you actually start retirement. Your post was helpful to me and I am sure others

Yup, it's easy to do nothing and that's exactly what I do after a day in the engine room.

Doing nothing gets boring after a while and then you just need to do something.

But something always needs to be done, so always busy eh?

Sounds like you've adjusted well in retirement!

Yeah, moving. I agree, I hate moving. If you are happy where you are then no need to move eh?

Congratulations, and you can probably look forward to continuing satisfaction. I'm still relaxing after 16 years of retirement.

Ride bike, walk dog, eat, nap, silent time of reflection. We share these Loves of Life, haha! Congrats on finding your happy place.

This sounds like you know yourself well. You are enjoying a happy, peaceful retirement.

Left to my own devices, this looks similar to what my retirement would look like. We are gearing up for some travel, which will be fun, but it will probably be good to get back home. I am 16 years in retirement and I enjoy it very much.

I was just talking with a neighbor yesterday about finding reminders of work stressors occasionally scattered about. A much-folded and stained piece of paper on how to disarm the burglar alarm in the old building I used to work in just fell out of somewhere in my home desk. I still have 4 or 5 pieces of paper with really bad memories - such as one early on in my tenure when I predicted imminent doom due to a missed deadline - which I held onto all those years as a reminder that I shouldn't worry so much (which never worked).

Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. And, I only mark the hours that shine.

You are looking good from my perspective. I'm 10 years into retirement and this all sounds very familiar to me except for #5. I was fortunate to have found my retirement place to live 45 years ago.

Cheers!

Thanks for this update. As it happens, I woke up agitated from a rather recurrent dream where I was presenting something important to the board of my former employer and I was neither dressed properly nor prepared well. I retired 7 years ago! When does this end:confused: :confused::(:blush:

-BB

Ha, I can relate to all... but the 55 community. I'm not there yet! I am more open to the idea of moving in general than a year ago but love being here so don't have much reason. My best friend plans to leave the area and while I have a great base of friends none are so deep that I'd necessarily stay here for them. I'll post some sort of 1 year FIREd post in a few weeks.

Congrats on 3 years of freedom!

I retired shortly after you, so my wife and I have the difference of not having been able to establish routines before the pandemic hit. This may be a large part of why we haven't done quite as well--mostly with the moving part.

1. I'm lazier than I imagined. I don't mean "lazy" in a critical, judgmental way; it's just the word that seems to capture it.
I'm clearly not doing as many things as I thought I would, but feel like I've been reasonably productive. The surprise has been that I'm not all that motivated to travel domestically.

2. I notice that my personality has changed.
As for personality, I really haven't seen a change. Having more time to read and follow news does provide a little more jaded view of the world. Fortunately, I've been a committed non-watcher of TV news for over a decade.

3. I'm surprised at how easy it is to fill the time.
I've only reached the point of filling my days with having taken on more volunteer responsibilities in the past 6-9 months.

4. I've forgotten the little stresses of work.
There are elements of working that I miss, but there would have been huge stressors in having stayed in my job over the past three years.

5. I still go back and forth on the question of moving.
We did move to a new community a few months before I retired, and the jury is still out on whether it will be a success. Thinking we were too young for it, we decided against a 55+ community, but I wonder whether it would have provided social connections we haven't made yet--especially for my wife, who has never lived in this area before.

In any case, we would had to have moved from our previous house within a few years, as it would have been too expensive (and big) to remain in long-term.

We'll make a go/no-go decision on moving within our new area or relocating elsewhere in the first half of 2024. While we wouldn't return to our previous neighborhood, there are places we could consider nearby.

6. The current economic situation
Other than postponing some changes to our house, we've had no significant economic concerns until deciding to do some traveling and replace a car in the past few months. The market decline has turned our planned 4.5% retirement draw for this year into a 5% draw. A conservative stock allocation kept it from being higher. My wife will take Social Security early next year.

Last edited:
Thanks for this update. As it happens, I woke up agitated from a rather recurrent dream where I was presenting something important to the board of my former employer and I was neither dressed properly nor prepared well. I retired 7 years ago! When does this end:confused: :confused::(:blush:

-BB

In my tenth year of retirement, I still have dreams related to my engineering employment, not always too consternating.

Good news is: the bad dreams of my college student days have mostly stopped; the ones where I sign up for a course and then can't remember what days or where the lectures are...

Eddie, much of what you have written resonates with me even 13 years into retirement. 'Lazy' is such an emotive word, I still don't know, or care, what-when-if I'll do anything on any given day, I just do it or not [with apologies to Yoda :)] But my days are filled with things that are not work and fill me with joy and satisfaction.....huzzah!

To quote A.A. Milne/Winnie the Pooh .... "Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes, I just sits" :)

Cheers

I retired three years ago. Here are some observations:

1. I'm lazier than I imagined. I don't mean "lazy" in a critical, judgmental way; it's just the word that seems to capture it. There are a wide range of social, cultural, educational, and touring activities I could be doing, but by and large I just don't feel like it. I'm content if I have maybe one of these "things to do" per week. That's enough. I know retirees who like to have their calendar full of things to do, every day. Not me.

I'm happy with my routine, which usually involves a mix of walking my dog, visiting parks, taking care of chores around the house, dealing with texts and emails, riding my bike, watching Youtube, eating, napping, writing, and working on a project. Or just sitting around doing nothing in particular, just resting and reflecting. In fact, recently I've discovered that what I need is not so much another activity, but more non-activity -- times when I'm just walking or sitting in nature, doing nothing.

This has taken some adjustment. I've had to overcome the guilt of not being "productive," the guilt associated with living such a lax, easy life. There is still a little voice in the back of my head telling me I "should" be doing more with my remaining years. But there's a louder voice up front saying that I've worked plenty hard in my life, and I'm retired now, with nothing left to prove.

First off thanks for posting, the entire post was great for us folk who are a few years out. We are looking at retiring at about the same age as you in a few years and your first bullet point is something I'm starting to feel already, was starting to think must be something wrong with me!

In all seriousness, the past number of years we have been thinking what our gogo years are going to look like, had all grand ideas many think/have, world travelers etc. Fast forward to today and can tell we are getting closer to your #1 point.

When I think about it, it really should not be a surprise, we have been in our "starter home" for 30 plus years, it the perfect retirement home:) Sitting on a few acres with area now built up around us we are in a great spot. Can putter around the yard all day, garden etc than walk up to a restaurant or two for a meal. Have been also toying with the idea of a lakeplace or little 20-40 acre parcel to grow "something" on, just another place to putter around on!

I have come to realize trying to predict what retirement will look like 20 years out from your 40's is like trying to predict what the stock market will be like 20 years from now.

Great update ER Eddie!
I easily relate to pretty much everything you said.
6 1/2 years in for me. Where does the time go?? Seems like yesterday I was walking out the door for the last time.
But loving every minute of retirement.

-BB

When the dream ends with you telling them what you really think and walking out? :D

Eddie, much of what you have written resonates with me even 13 years into retirement. 'Lazy' is such an emotive word, I still don't know, or care, what-when-if I'll do anything on any given day, I just do it or not [with apologies to Yoda :)] But my days are filled with things that are not work and fill me with joy and satisfaction.....huzzah!

To quote A.A. Milne/Winnie the Pooh .... "Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes, I just sits" :)

Cheers
I am also 13 years retired, and agree with you totally. I am glad we got our traveling done when we did, as we can no longer tolerate those 10 hour flights from the West Coast to Europe.
So we have slowed down and either cruise or take domestic trips. Our cruises have been round trip from LA. NO airports.

Back
Top Bottom