Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
What makes anybody think that ACA will still be here in a few years? Why turn your life upside down for something that undoubtedly be changed or eliminated soon?
This is no different than managing a portfolio for tax efficiency, which is something every member should do.

As for eliminated soon, let's not get into that here, eh?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What makes anybody think that ACA will still be here in a few years? Why turn your life upside down for something that undoubtedly be changed or eliminated soon?
One could turn your question around 180 and ask what makes anybody think that ACA will be gone in a few years? I don't see it being eliminated, changed perhaps depending on politics, but unlikely to be eliminated.

Besides no one is talking about turning their life upside down.... just trying to find and optimal strategy for their facts and circumstances.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
One could turn your question around 180 and ask what makes anybody think that ACA will be gone in a few years? I don't see it being eliminated, changed perhaps depending on politics, but unlikely to be eliminated.
Even if the groups who want it "repealed" assume full control, some aspects of ACA are far too politically popular to be rolled back. In particular, the elimination of preexisting condition exclusions and underwriting, as well as being able to keep children on the policy up to age 26, are very unlikely to be undone because these enjoy widespread (and largely bipartisan) support among the public.

Much of this law can be tweaked and perhaps some of it will be backed out. I don't see these aspects of the law going away.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Of course if it is a problem you have to consider managing for ACA issues versus managing for the income based increases in Medicare. In particular if over 85k single you pay more up to 315/month at 214k for parts B and D.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Maybe not gone, but surely massively changed.

Financials, if nothing else. Premiums are going up and up, as are deductibles. Co-ops are all going bankrupt or otherwise out of business. GAO now projects a very large cost in upcoming years, nowhere near the savings that were originally projected.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #46

ACA is changing over time for sure, but that really is OT for this thread and is not an avenue to be pursued here. Managing income for ACA vs. Roth conversions is a very valid topic here but I think it's kind of been played out over multiple threads.

I think the i-orp calculator now includes this type of what-if analysis, haven't used it myself.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
WOW.... cannot even find a cat plan...
Here's what I did to estimate the cost of a catastrophic plan:

Price a regular bronze policy for myself. Then that same policy with the fake age of 30. Then price a catastrophic plan for a 30 year old and to the math to scale-up the catastrophic price presuming it's the same age factor for the two types of policies. But the catastrophic policies I have access to are just not that much cheaper than bronze, so I'm not in the same boat as PB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I think the i-orp calculator now includes this type of what-if analysis, haven't used it myself.
Yes it does. You can turn cliff prevention on or off. Also Roth conversion on or off. When I turn both on, that gives me the most favorable model result. The model is smart enough to undo the cliff prevention at age 65, so it has you converting up to the 15% bracket once you've hit Medicare age.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Maybe not gone, but surely massively changed.

Financials, if nothing else. Premiums are going up and up, as are deductibles.
My 2016 subsidized premiums are actually down quite a bit from 2015. Deductibles are up slightly, to $6000 from $5500, but the new plan is HSA eligible.