Actuaries Longevity Illustrator

That's what the charts said to you?
:confused:
Yeah, I would've thought that some people would be surprised how long they might reasonable live, and get a little nervous about FIREing too early.

Yeah, I would've thought that some people would be surprised how long they might reasonable live, and get a little nervous about FIREing too early.

I'm glad to see at least one person gets it.

75%
Chance you'll live to
Your life expectancy is a bit less than other people your age, (9.8 years less than average).

Your Estimated Life Expectancy =75

... that would be a major delight to my GP ( and cardiologist ) ( even the 70 figure )

Of the 3 more detailed links, one has me living till 96, one 97, and one 98. Our planning horizon is 95, and projects that even then we will have quite a bit of money left. I figure if I really live to 95+, I may not know whether I have money or not.

It did occur to me that all of these calculators are provided by insurance companies trying to sell annuities. Hmmmm ...

I figure if I really live to 95+, I may not know whether I have money or not.

It did occur to me that all of these calculators are provided by insurance companies trying to sell annuities. Hmmmm ...

'Aye, there's the rub'. What if our older brains can't manage the money. We've seen it with relatives, and and IMO is a selling point for annuities or something like them, hence the connection you noticed. An annuity could limit our losses and may be easier to sign over to the nursing home. Or not. So is the annuity salesperson now better than the later in life unscrupulous people you might meet or be related to? Instead of pondering it, I'm going to have an alcoholic beverage instead. According to that detailed calculator, people who drink live a couple months longer than people that don't drink :rolleyes:

Based on that calculator I got the answer to the SS question.

"Based on your life expectancy, it could make sense for you to begin Social Security earlier in your retirement."

There you have it. Now I know what to do. I'll assume by "earlier" it means 62.

But, if I were to start drinking a couple drinks a day, my life expectancy goes up and I'm back to:

"Based on your life expectancy, it makes sense for you to consider how to maximize sources of guaranteed lifetime income (like Social Security and annuities)."

So, I can start drinking and buy an annuity, or not drink and get my SS at 62:blush:

That's well-known. Unfortunately, according to an article I read in an actuarial journal years ago, they tend to become frail and need more care at about the same age- so those extra years can be expensive ones.
Maybe. I'm from Eastern European stock (both sides, so 50 Czech and 50 Hungarian). Have you ever seen those women?

Back
Top Bottom