Additional 220,000 IRS Tax Records Stolen through Get Transcript

I think it's time to give everyone free lifetime access to their credit report. This "one free year" is a giveaway for the credit agencies, it's better marketing and lead generation than anything they could do.

Like the old Beach Boys song "Wouldn't It Be Nice..." if there was lifetime access.

A year from now, after my free access subscription is over, I'll still be asking, despite being a hack victim, is continued monitoring worth the $8.95/month or so or not? :LOL:

If I have a credit monitoring service, but then have a "freeze" in place, will that still work? Or will the "freeze" make the monitoring not doable?
If your credit's frozen, monitoring is not going to add any value except, perhaps, if you thaw it long enough to get a new credit card or something.

I'm spoiled, being in NC, we get the federally mandated on report per year for free, plus we can freeze and thaw for free too!

Get on your state legislature to get your state law fixed. Call the law maker who supported "free" when the original law was enacted, but was not successful, and ask how to get it fixed. Or you could just hum a Beach Boys ear bug :cool:

Good point. You don't need monitoring if you have a credit freeze, and you can get free credit reports each year from each agency.

If your credit's frozen, monitoring is not going to add any value except, perhaps, if you thaw it long enough to get a new credit card or something.
I'm not sure about that. The credit rating agency does not authorize credit, only records credit and other activity reported to them. A freeze does not prevent accounts from being opened in your name.

Been working (bad word around here, I know) more on my ID Theft situation. Here's a good site that tells what sort of steps to take:

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

On step 3 is to report the theft to the FTC. I did that online. On Step 4 is file a report with your local police department.

I just came back from my local police department. When I first told the officer why I was there, he kind of chuckled and then I said, "You've seen something like this before?" and he said yes. I showed him my letter and he took down some info that asked too to make sure the letter was legit. So, we talked about that for a moment. Overall he was helpful.

I brought in my printed affidavit that I filled out earlier. There's a section for the officer's signature if filing a report in person. When I asked, can he do that, he freaked out :LOL: backing off saying no one has ever asked that before. I didn't push it and said I'll just wait for the report (I gotta pick that up in about 10 days).

From what I learn is the affidavit and police report is to CYA in case in the future, say someone breaks the law under your identity or screws up you credit, then you have proof as a victim instead of getting asked "Did you call the police?. How do we know the crook wasn't you?" Plus, the report shows you are victim for freezing and unfreezing your credit reports.

I'm not sure about that. The credit rating agency does not authorize credit, only records credit and other activity reported to them. A freeze does not prevent accounts from being opened in your name.

It will prevent quite a few accounts being opened in your name because most utilities (including cellphone service) and financial institutions as well as any company extending credit will pull your credit file as part of opening your account. If your credit file is frozen, I don't believe they will open an account for you. That's why you have to temporarily unfreeze your credit file to open these accounts.

Maybe someone can open an account at Ma and Pa's local hardware store under your name.

I know from looking at my credit report, during last year, when I switched from AT&T to Comcast, I see a credit report look by Comcast. Had there been a freeze on, Comcast would probably assumed that I'm a slacker :).

It will prevent quite a few accounts being opened in your name because most utilities (including cellphone service) and financial institutions as well as any company extending credit will pull your credit file as part of opening your account. If your credit file is frozen, I don't believe they will open an account for you. That's why you have to temporarily unfreeze your credit file to open these accounts.

Maybe someone can open an account at Ma and Pa's local hardware store under your name.
They shouldn't open any account when your credit is frozen. Some businesses will go ahead and do so anyway, probably because the risk / reward structure encourages employees to do so. AT&T just opened a new account in my name, with a service address that is not mine, even after sending me a notice stating they would not do so because my credit report is frozen and they were unable to verify whatever it is they verify.

They shouldn't open any account when your credit is frozen. Some businesses will go ahead and do so anyway, probably because the risk / reward structure encourages employees to do so. AT&T just opened a new account in my name, with a service address that is not mine, even after sending me a notice stating they would not do so because my credit report is frozen and they were unable to verify whatever it is they verify.

Interesting - that seems like an error since they said they wouldn't do so, plus you got a notice!

Monitoring advised because companies make mistakes or have poor control systems - hmmmmm. Probably wise.

+1. I guess what tipped them off was that the fraudulent return was asking for $$$ and I wrote them a check!

You got the IRS notification today? If so, I feel your pain. I really do :facepalm:.

Last edited:
You got the IRS notification today? If so, I feel your pain. I really do :facepalm:.

Actually yesterday. I had received a number of letters from them since June asking for more information on my return (copies of 1099's, W-2's, various forms) so I suspected something was wrong.

Going to get one of their PIN's and hopefully nothing like this will happen in the future.

Actually yesterday. I had received a number of letters from them since June asking for more information on my return (copies of 1099's, W-2's, various forms) so I suspected something was wrong.

Going to get one of their PIN's and hopefully nothing like this will happen in the future.

Bummer. I thought you were just joking about that bogus return filed. I hope when you look at the credit reports there aren't any phony accounts opened under your identity.

That link I gave in a prior post outlines what steps to take. At least having a plan makes things feel less dire. :(

Bummer. I thought you were just joking about that bogus return filed. I hope when you look at the credit reports there aren't any phony accounts opened under your identity.

That link I gave in a prior post outlines what steps to take. At least having a plan makes things feel less dire. :(

Nothing on the credit report. I have them automatically notify me of any inquiries. :D

Just a quick follow up.

Got my police report in the mail today. Then went to a currency exchange to get notarized the affidavit document I created at ftc.gov about a couple weeks ago.

Still no sign of any misuse or creation of accounts in my name. No news is good news.

Next, I'll just file this stuff away for my own record and keep the police report handy for when I need to freeze/unfreeze my credit as I understand, since I'm now an ID victim, in my state, the freeze/unfreeze should be free upon proof.

Been working (bad word around here, I know) more on my ID Theft situation. Here's a good site that tells what sort of steps to take:

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

On step 3 is to report the theft to the FTC. I did that online. On Step 4 is file a report with your local police department.

I just came back from my local police department. When I first told the officer why I was there, he kind of chuckled and then I said, "You've seen something like this before?" and he said yes. I showed him my letter and he took down some info that asked too to make sure the letter was legit. So, we talked about that for a moment. Overall he was helpful.

I brought in my printed affidavit that I filled out earlier. There's a section for the officer's signature if filing a report in person. When I asked, can he do that, he freaked out :LOL: backing off saying no one has ever asked that before. I didn't push it and said I'll just wait for the report (I gotta pick that up in about 10 days).

From what I learn is the affidavit and police report is to CYA in case in the future, say someone breaks the law under your identity or screws up you credit, then you have proof as a victim instead of getting asked "Did you call the police?. How do we know the crook wasn't you?" Plus, the report shows you are victim for freezing and unfreezing your credit reports.

I'm trying to get this straight here.

You got a letter from the IRS that someone attempted to access your IRS records? And that was enough to get a police report?

I guess that's a little more firm and can be construed as ID theft as compared to a letter that notifies you of a data breach.

I'm trying to figure out if a letter notifying of a data breach is sufficient for us to go to DPS and get an incident report (or police and get a police report) so that DH doesn't have to pay for his credit freeze.

I'm trying to get this straight here.

You got a letter from the IRS that someone attempted to access your IRS records? And that was enough to get a police report?

I guess that's a little more firm and can be construed as ID theft as compared to a letter that notifies you of a data breach.

I'm trying to figure out if a letter notifying of a data breach is sufficient for us to go to DPS and get an incident report (or police and get a police report) so that DH doesn't have to pay for his credit freeze.

Yes, I think a letter such as the one from the IRS transcript hack shows more than one saying a data breach as the latter says you may be vulnerable, but the IRS letter says you data was obtained.

Not sure if you used a data breach letter would that be sufficient for a police report.

Yes, I think a letter such as the one from the IRS transcript hack shows more than one saying a data breach as the latter says you may be vulnerable, but the IRS letter says you data was obtained.

Not sure if you used a data breach letter would that be sufficient for a police report.
That's what I'm thinking. Because in your case they know someone specifically tried use your identity = ID theft.

BTW - the IRS fraudulent access numbers were greatly expanded yesterday AND they're having serious problems with people getting the special TAX ID PINs fraudulently because they still use the idiot credit report based questions to verify identity that are so easy to spoof.

IRS: 390K More Victims of IRS.Gov Weakness http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/irs-390k-more-victims-of-irs-gov-weakness/

And even worse:
Thieves Nab IRS PINs to Hijack Tax Refunds
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/03/thieves-nab-irs-pins-to-hijack-tax-refunds/

The stupid identity questions - today, DH got two questions from Experian* that ONLY he could know, according to their website. The questions - what county does he live in, and what model car does he drive. Now everybody in our $&@%! neighborhood knows the answers to those questions. In fact - everybody we know locally knows the answer, as well as quite a few not locally. How ridiculous is that!!!!

*DH was signing up for the free credit monitoring from Experian because he was exposed to the T-Mobile data breach (caused by Experian).

Last edited:
To establish a person's identity, they should not use public records. :facepalm:

The problem is perhaps that's all they have. :facepalm:

Last edited:
BTW - the IRS fraudulent access numbers were greatly expanded yesterday AND they're having serious problems with people getting the special TAX ID PINs fraudulently because they still use the idiot credit report based questions to verify identity that are so easy to spoof.

IRS: 390K More Victims of IRS.Gov Weakness http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/irs-390k-more-victims-of-irs-gov-weakness/

And even worse:
Thieves Nab IRS PINs to Hijack Tax Refunds
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/03/thieves-nab-irs-pins-to-hijack-tax-refunds/

The stupid identity questions - today, DH got two questions from Experian* that ONLY he could know, according to their website. The questions - what county does he live in, and what model car does he drive. Now everybody in our $&@%! neighborhood knows the answers to those questions. In fact - everybody we know locally knows the answer, as well as quite a few not locally. How ridiculous is that!!!!

*DH was signing up for the free credit monitoring from Experian because he was exposed to the T-Mobile data breach (caused by Experian).

I haven't started filing my taxes yet. Fingers crossed that my security PIN isn't stolen. So crazy that IRS would sent the PIN by mail but then also allow for the PIN retrieval by their website. :facepalm:

I haven't started filing my taxes yet. Fingers crossed that my security PIN isn't stolen. So crazy that IRS would sent the PIN by mail but then also allow for the PIN retrieval by their website. :facepalm:

Yeah, drives me nuts!

To cut down on this is the IRS set up to ignore electronic filings upon request? Can people tell them "Ignore any electronic filings in my name, look only for my tax return via conventional mail"?

Back
Top Bottom