Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjm51 View Post
I would like to hear from folks that retired a fews back on things that went well and not so well.
What advise would you give yourself starting over. Surprises you didn't expect to happen. Good or bad

I hear people say you have to find hobbys you enjoy and find an outlet to visit with people. Work can be a very social atmosphere and when you leave mega corp you need to have people to be around
More health problems than we anticipated. Not just us, but close family.
Similarly, we were well protected financially in the Great Recession, but we discovered ourselves helping family who were more vulnerable.

Didn't do the traveling I'd hoped for. Discovered that it was possible to slooow doowwn (took a while).

The lesson is that we benefitted from "belt and suspenders" planning. We had a big cushion and used it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Independent: why no travelling? That is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Mickeyd: i'm glad that the US sock market has treated you well. Hosery will never let you down.

Everyone else: thanks for the reassurance. With 16 months to go to finishing work at 50, I still worry about missing the psychological rewards if work. It sounds like you've left all of that behind without regrets.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

"Retired" in 2005 at the age of 35. In July will be retired for 10 years. The "retired" years have gone by much faster than the working years. Thank you Apple!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired just over five years ago at age 40. Biggest surprise was the huge number of conventional retirees out and about during the usual workday. I had to get used to these being my new "peers," which I haven't felt ready for. I had to get used to very sloooooooow moving in parking lots and grocery store aisles, although that annoyance is a whole lot less than the annoyances in my former megacorp life.

Another surprise was realizing just how many projects I had always dreamed about working on during retirement were fundamentally profit-motivated, which I didn't need now being FI and retired, and I lost interest in. Make custom bass guitars in my woodshop? And deal with the marketing, customer service, shipping, parts, inventory... eh, no thanks. Write a novel? But why? Don't need the money, so what would I get out of it? Lots of critics? Eh... no thanks.

One thing I do enjoy that I imagined I would before retirement is waking up naturally. Every morning when that damned alarm would go off in my working life I swore someday when I'm retired I'm going to sleep as long as I want and get up when I feel ready. I get to do that now. I still love that.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
More health problems than we anticipated. Not just us, but close family. Similarly, we were well protected financially in the Great Recession, but we discovered ourselves helping family who were more vulnerable.
This is similar to my own situation. I did not mention it in my previous post because it wasn't specifically a "surprise" related to or cause by "retiring"

Moral of the story: (My story, anyway) Be prepared even for low probability / high down-side stuff that you will not be able to fully recover from.

And people used to tell me I worried too much. HAH!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #26

Now into our 6th year and it has been everything we planned and hoped for. I did expect to need to add a hobby or 2 but that didn't turn out to be the case.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retired seven years . The only surprise was how much I could lose in the recession and still be okay .
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

5 years and counting here. As several others said, it has been basically all good so far. A few minor annoyances involving family members (who never learned how to manage their money) asking for money from time to time, but I'm learning to deal with that. As for missing the social aspect of work, that is not a factor with me. I was never all that social to begin with, and while I do miss a few folks from work, I've made some new friends that I now spend more time with, and that's been plenty of social interaction for me. The free time I have in retirement is priceless.......I would never be able to go back to the working world now, after experiencing the freedom I now have
Old 02-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #29

Only retired for 397.96 days, so I'll make it short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
One surprise was how much less our taxes were. You can get a good idea by taking a copy of your 2014 tax return and changing your earnings to 0 and making any other needed adjustments (for like a pension or SS starting or 401k/IRA withdrawals).
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
Another surprise was realizing just how many projects I had always dreamed about working on during retirement were fundamentally profit-motivated, which I didn't need now being FI and retired, and I lost interest in.
+1
Old 02-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all very much, most appreciated
I could sure see how family could throw a hitch in retirement if you were not prepared
A close friend retired a fews years ago and came back as s consultant. He told me a month or so into retirement he had to fund $40k for motherinlaw in a nursing home. It was very unexpected

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-26-2015, 01:38 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

8 years as of next Sunday. I miss my windowless basement cube.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
10+ years retired. What has surprised me is the fact that all of my unsophisticated stubby pencil back of the envelope planning has paid off so well.
Yeah...took me a while to say: "hey! the plan is actually working!!"
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
Independent: why no travelling? That is what I'm looking forward to the most.
1) Health. My wife spent a year in cancer treatment plus a couple other serious problems. (No sign of cancer today.)
We also stayed close to home when one of our kids had a serious problem.
2) Other priorities. One of our children adopted 3 kids all at once. We wanted to be around to help with that.
3) "I" vs. "we". I was looking forward to traveling more than my wife.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #34

We are approaching 7 years of ER.

- Educate yourself on the reasoning behind your investment and withdrawal plans. You'll need that conviction to stick to your plan when things go south.
- Track your spending down to the $ for a few years so you know how much you need. A mistake here could be costly.
- Be flexible. In your spending as well as willingness to earn a little if conditions call for it. Or to move, or down size. Or to tighten your belt or loosen it.
- Be prepared to be different - To hell with what anyone else thinks.
- Be curious. You'll have the time to learn anything that attracts your fancy.

All the best.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

3 yrs. retired for me, 5 for my wife. We moved to a 55+ Active Adult Community which we absolutely love. What has surprised us is how, for the most part, no one gives a flip what you did for a career in your working years. I mean, sure, it comes up, but usually only very briefly. They want to talk instead about your kids, your grandkids, your travels, and your experiences (other than work). It's great!

I work with, in kind of a mentoring relationship, younger men at our church, and many of them are all puffed up about what they do, how many hours a week they do it, etc. Man, do I get some icy, quizzical stares when I tell 'em, "Ya know, when you're my age and leave the corporate world, no one's gonna care a bit about how great you did in your career! Probably won't care about your career at all"
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by psweath View Post

I work with, in kind of a mentoring relationship, younger men at our church, and many of them are all puffed up about what they do, how many hours a week they do it, etc. Man, do I get some icy, quizzical stares when I tell 'em, "Ya know, when you're my age and leave the corporate world, no one's gonna care a bit about how great you did in your career! Probably won't care about your career at all"
Yeah, but don't discourage 'em!! We need these guys to keep paying our Social Security and Medicare! They'll wise up soon enough.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh you're right marko! I do encourage 'em - that's one of my primary roles in the relationship - there are a few that need a big serving of humble pie though!