I did a search and found this
. I typed out my question there and went to post, but it wouldn't let me...
The wife and I have already maxed out our Roth IRA's for the year. In addition, my 401k is set to max out at the beginning of December, which about 80% of the contributions are Roth, the other 20% traditional. I have been doing a little research and I found out my company continues their match on the after tax money. So, if I contribute 1% on an after tax basis, they'll contribute 4%. If I contribute 2% after tax, they'll contribute 8%. 8% is my max benefit from the company. Our plan is administered by Vanguard and my employer has IMO excellent funds available to us.
So...am I missing anything? Besides taking 5 years to catch onto this, it seems I would be foolish not to max out our 401k asap and then continue contributing 2% after tax for as much of the year as possible? I understand there are accounting/tracking considerations. I guess once I reach my max I would either invest the difference in taxable accounts or pay down the mortgage more (probably a 50/50 split).