After tax 401k contributions

ronocnikral

Full time employment: Posting here.
I did a search and found this. I typed out my question there and went to post, but it wouldn't let me...

The wife and I have already maxed out our Roth IRA's for the year. In addition, my 401k is set to max out at the beginning of December, which about 80% of the contributions are Roth, the other 20% traditional. I have been doing a little research and I found out my company continues their match on the after tax money. So, if I contribute 1% on an after tax basis, they'll contribute 4%. If I contribute 2% after tax, they'll contribute 8%. 8% is my max benefit from the company. Our plan is administered by Vanguard and my employer has IMO excellent funds available to us.

So...am I missing anything? Besides taking 5 years to catch onto this, it seems I would be foolish not to max out our 401k asap and then continue contributing 2% after tax for as much of the year as possible? I understand there are accounting/tracking considerations. I guess once I reach my max I would either invest the difference in taxable accounts or pay down the mortgage more (probably a 50/50 split).

Thoughts?

Standard advice is to contribute to the maximum of your employer match, so if that includes after-tax, then by all means do it.

You will need to do some bookkeeping to make sure your after-tax contributions are not taxed again when you begin to make withdrawals or do a rollover. (Maybe file a form 8606 with the IRS?). Some plans actually allow you to do an in-service rollover of the after-tax contributions to a Roth IRA, so this is a clever back-door way to contribute to a Roth IRA when either (a) not eligible or (b) you have already maxed out your Roth IRA contributions. If this is allowed, do the in-service rollover right away so that the gains on your after-tax contributions are tax-free in the Roth. Otherwise the gains will be taxed at ordinary income tax rates which is not good.

FYI FWIW

In case you run into it again, there is a message at the bottom of old threads:

This Thread is more than 187 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.
In other words you can add your thoughts to the thread but you have to intentionally open it up for discussion. If the data contained in the thread is still applicable/relevant today, you should.

I'd also ask over at Fairmark. Moving 401(k) after tax contributions to a Roth is a grey area, still in flux over recent changes in the law.

Back
Top Bottom