All of the gold owned by US is pocket change

Interesting. The GLD fund has a market cap of $31 billion today. Supposedly this ETF is backed by stored physical gold, but IF the value of all the gold in the world is $247B as you say, am I supposed to believe that this fund holds 1/8 of all the gold in the world?

No this report is all the gold owned by the US government, not all the gold (in a refined state) in the world.

Furthermore, all of the gold owned by the US would barely pay half of one year's interest on the federal debt (current running at about 450 billion a year).

Unfortunately, our biggest asset is our military power. I guess it's the global political version of the guns-and-ammo-are-better-than-gold theory.

Unfortunately, our biggest asset is our military power. I guess it's the global political version of the guns-and-ammo-are-better-than-gold theory.

Yes and no IMO. Like a house, in order for our military power to remain a valuable asset, we need to keep throwing (a lot of) money at it... When the USSR crumbled politically and economically, its military might crumbled with it.

Back
Top Bottom