Almost Even!!!!

Boxkicker

Recycles dryer sheets
I have been tracking my TSP the last few months and put together a nice spreadsheet to keep track of it. I retired from the Navy in December 2008, so I am not eligible to put anymore into it. Here is what has happened since I first put money into it (3Q/03):

2003 + 6.7%

2004 + 8.4%

2005 + 7.0%

2006 + 11.1%

2007 + 5.8%

2008 - 33.4%

2009 + 11.3%

After all of that, I am "only" down about 1% since I put money into it. Figures out to "only" $500 loss in 6 years. Hopefully, it will continue to make money.

I am just thankful, I have my Military retirement to live and just waiting 20 more years to take my TSP money. :)

Boxkicker,

I'm Navy too, and still investing. I have about 7 years to go before retirement. I decided to check my TSP account after you mention that you were almost even... And it turns out that I am about where you are. In fact, this may be my only investment account where I'm almost even... Well, about 5% off.
I'm positioned 100% in Fund C: S&P index.
More interesting, and I didn't know this until now: About 50% of these investments are tax exempt from being in combat zones! I had no idea. Do you (or anybody) know if the tax exempt applies to the contributions only, or the contribution and the gains thereafter?

TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS: $ 64,651
TOTAL VALUE: $ 61,219

After all of that, I am "only" down about 1% since I put money into it.

Surprisingly, I'm also "only" down about 1% since 2003 (although I'm still down almost 13% over the last twelve months)...I hope the market keeps trending upward.

I take it you were a porkchop??

I'm from the grunt side of the house - former 97A.

Back
Top Bottom