Amazon 3% Cash Back

Ok- maybe it is time to switch cards! :)

Can you cash in anytime you want with the Amazon card, or do you have to hit a dollar amount?
The Amazon card is backed by Chase. At Amazon.com, your only option is to use points for Amazon purchses. But if you look at your account via Chase.com, you also have the options:

• Cash Back in the form of a statment credit
  • Gift Cards for gas, hotels, dining, etc

Chase Freedom (my primary card) is doing Amazon in the 4th quarter this year with the 5% cash back ($1,500 max for extra $75).
I have this card and buy an Amazon gift card during the promotion to use the following three quarters.

I actually just got the Amazon Prime store card. It gives back a statement credit for 5% of purchases on Amazon. I don't usually like store cards, but we buy a lot at Amazon so this was very attractive. For non-Amazon, I use my Amex Blue Cash preferred.
I better look into this!

Ya, prime is awesome. Free tv shows, music, shipping. Better service reps. It's worth the fee. ..

You mean "for you"? I don't think it's universal, I've got the free trial a couple times, and I did not consider the service to be worth the asking price (to continue the service).

Too many products don't qualify, and/or you can find them cheaper non-Prime. So you sometimes pay twice, or end up paying for a service you don't get to use. And, for me, the two day shipping is hardly ever an issue - for the times I might really want it that fast, I could pay for shipping and be ahead.

I've been buying some more stuff through the third-party Chinese sellers at Amazon or ebay. Incredible prices, shipping included on even very low cost items. Of course, I end up waiting weeks, maybe even over a month - but for some of this stuff (spare parts, future projects), it just doesn't matter.

The 'free' (you meant 'included in the price', didn't you?) music/video isn't something we've used more than twice - Netflix suffices, and some of the stuff on Netflix that DW watches isn't available on Prime, so dropping Netflix isn't in the cards... for us.

And again, it bothered the environmentalist in me a wee bit to see a truck making a special delivery on a Sunday for something I didn't need on Sunday. As they say on "Shark Tank": "For all those reasons... I'm OUT!".

Of course, if you think it's worth it for you, that's great for you. I just am not a fan of these 'universal', 'one size fits all' statements.

Better service reps?

-ERD50

I'm not usually interested in this stuff but we have been buying stuff like college textbooks and motorcycle parts on Amazon so yesterday signed up for the 5% off. Included a $40 Amazon gift card as bonus.

You mean "for you"? I don't think it's universal, I've got the free trial a couple times, and I did not consider the service to be worth the asking price (to continue the service).

Too many products don't qualify, and/or you can find them cheaper non-Prime. So you sometimes pay twice, or end up paying for a service you don't get to use. And, for me, the two day shipping is hardly ever an issue - for the times I might really want it that fast, I could pay for shipping and be ahead.

I've been buying some more stuff through the third-party Chinese sellers at Amazon or ebay. Incredible prices, shipping included on even very low cost items. Of course, I end up waiting weeks, maybe even over a month - but for some of this stuff (spare parts, future projects), it just doesn't matter.

The 'free' (you meant 'included in the price', didn't you?) music/video isn't something we've used more than twice - Netflix suffices, and some of the stuff on Netflix that DW watches isn't available on Prime, so dropping Netflix isn't in the cards... for us.

And again, it bothered the environmentalist in me a wee bit to see a truck making a special delivery on a Sunday for something I didn't need on Sunday. As they say on "Shark Tank": "For all those reasons... I'm OUT!".

Of course, if you think it's worth it for you, that's great for you. I just am not a fan of these 'universal', 'one size fits all' statements.

Better service reps?

-ERD50

No, i specifically meant for you. Your personal situation would benefit immensely if you listened to me and bought prime. All of your life experience and wisdom are secondary to my uninformed opinion. No one else would benefit, by the way, only you would matter, and i posted only for your benefit.

Please enjoy, as I am, the remainder of this gorgeous holiday weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

And again, it bothered the environmentalist in me a wee bit to see a truck making a special delivery on a Sunday for something I didn't need on Sunday. As they say on "Shark Tank": "For all those reasons... I'm OUT!"

We get a lot of deliveries from Amazon between what we buy, our business purchases and a Vine reviewer in the house. Last Sunday we had a delivery of a used warehouse item, under Prime 2 day shipping, that cost under $10. I don't see how they can make money off items like that. I do think it makes more sense environmentally still for one truck to deliver many items to the neighborhood than me driving to the store for $10 worth of office supplies.

The Sunday before we received not only one but two deliveries. When we first started getting deliveries on Sunday, I thought maybe we had a Newman situation (the episode where Jerry delivered Newman's backlog of mail on Sunday to get it out of Newman's storage locker.)

Just amazing that they never apparently think about the total interest they're paying.

I think that is why they have such enticing sign up bonuses. The one we are helping one of the kids meet the spending requirements on now has a $1K spend for $500 back in bonus points. There is no way that could be profitable for the credit card companies unless many card holders do not pay off the cards or do not cancel them before the annual fees kick in.

We get a lot of deliveries from Amazon between what we buy, our business purchases and a Vine reviewer in the house. Last Sunday we had a delivery of a used warehouse item, under Prime 2 day shipping, that cost under $10. I don't see how they can make money off items like that. I do think it makes more sense environmentally still for one truck to deliver many items to the neighborhood than me driving to the store for $10 worth of office supplies.

The Sunday before we received not only one but two deliveries. When we first started getting deliveries on Sunday, I thought maybe we had a Newman situation (the episode where Jerry delivered Newman's backlog of mail on Sunday to get it out of Newman's storage locker.)

Our Postman told me the other day that they are required to work Sundays to handle the Amazon sorting and deliveries. At least the Post Office is handling something besides junk mail.

... Last Sunday we had a delivery of a used warehouse item, under Prime 2 day shipping, that cost under $10. I don't see how they can make money off items like that. I do think it makes more sense environmentally still for one truck to deliver many items to the neighborhood than me driving to the store for $10 worth of office supplies. ...

If the only options are a truck making rounds to numerous places on a Sunday, or each of those people driving to the store on Sunday, I'd agree the delivery still makes sense.

But those were not the options I was addressing. I would have been fine with normal Monday delivery, when they make the normal rounds - neither one of us doing additional driving.

-ERD50

I don't see myself applying for the Amazon cash back card. I think the $79 I paid for Prime (which I learned of here) has been worth it for me.

If the only options are a truck making rounds to numerous places on a Sunday, or each of those people driving to the store on Sunday, I'd agree the delivery still makes sense.

But those were not the options I was addressing. I would have been fine with normal Monday delivery, when they make the normal rounds - neither one of us doing additional driving.

-ERD50

If you have prime and don't care if your delivery shows up later, Amazon will give you a $1 dollar digital credit for books, music, etc, each time you select standard delivery instead of the 2 day option.

-ERD50

I don't usually need the Sunday delivery, but it may be important to some of our neighbors - diapers, dog food, text books, medical supplies, or Amazon pantry? Some of our neighbors are not able to drive for various reasons.

I thought economically the trend would be to reduce the number of days mail gets delivered door to door, and eventually go the way of the milkman. I was surprised to start seeing packages on Sunday.

-ERD50

Simple, delay your purchase to Saturday instead of ordering on Friday if you want a Monday delivery, you have the power to make the difference.

If you have a student with a .edu mail account Prime is $49 now.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Simple, delay your purchase to Saturday instead of ordering on Friday if you want a Monday delivery, you have the power to make the difference.

If you have a student with a .edu mail account Prime is $49 now.

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

If you have prime and don't care if your delivery shows up later, Amazon will give you a $1 dollar digital credit for books, music, etc, each time you select standard delivery instead of the 2 day option.

Good points. I did see the $1 rebate option, I think I used it once, but we really don't purchase much music/video/books from Amazon, so that might just stack up for a long time (though I guess it would be used eventually).

And I could delay the purchase to Saturday. But for me, it just doesn't seem to make sense to put out the money for Prime, and then go out of my way to circumvent the supposed advantages.

-ERD50

I do the calculation the other way: Is the price worth the advantages I wish to capitalize on? The advantages I'll ignore don't factor into my decision at all.

Good points. I did see the $1 rebate option, I think I used it once, but we really don't purchase much music/video/books from Amazon, so that might just stack up for a long time (though I guess it would be used eventually).

And I could delay the purchase to Saturday. But for me, it just doesn't seem to make sense to put out the money for Prime, and then go out of my way to circumvent the supposed advantages.

-ERD50

We don't buy a lot of digital content from Amazon either,but over the holiday weekend they had a special rental on the movie Whiplash in HD for .99..it was a great movie. Between the library, free Kindle offerings and streaming Netflix and Amazon it isn't necessary to spend a lot of extra money.

The problem (if one can all it that) with the $1 off on media, such as non-prime movie from Amazon Prime is now I have to allocate time to watch movies before the credits expire :LOL:.

I like the flexibility of having Prime 2-day, or if not in such a rush, get the $1 credit.

For Amazon purchase, I use the 3% cash back card. For other purchases, I use my Discover card.

I still think the best way is to get the Blue Cash Preferred from Amex and buy Amazon gift cards from the supermarket at 6% cash back. If you and your spouse each have a card, the $12000 grocery store limit per year should (hopefully) cover ALL of your grocery store and Amazon/and gift card shopping needs for the year!

You just need to spend $2500/yr per card at grocery stores to recoup your $75 annual fee vs the non annual fee card and you get a bonus of 3% cash back on gas!

I've recently made some changes to our credit card usage. This was prompted by an invitation to get a new card from American Express. It pays 5% back on groceries as a statement credit. Maximum usage is $6000 per year. Might as well get something back. Also, you get $250 back (one time) as a statement credit after you spend $1000. That's a good return and I like the 5% on groceries as we have never charged groceries. But for 5% I'll do it.

So now we're down to three credit cards: The AMEX card, our Bank of America credit/debit card (Visa) and Sam's Club Master card. I need the BOA card to make deposits and withdraw cash at their ATM's. The Sam's card gets me into the store and gives me 5% cash back on gas everywhere. I'll use the AMEX card at Costco's and I think they are changing this. I'm not cancelling the other credit cards we have as this has an adverse effect on your credit rating. I protect that for insurance and other purposes.

I don't mess with cards that change categories every three months. One other strategy I now use is that when we make a purchase over $100, I immediately send a payment to the creditor through online bill pay with Bank of America. This eliminates getting the large bills at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom