Amazon Credit Card

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
I see Amazon offers a "store" credit card which has a 5% cash back store credit. Anyone have this and are you satisfied?

My biggest question: Can you choose when you use the credit or is it automatically applied against purchases?

Thanks!

Just got it. so far so good....rewards credited automatically each month as far as I know. Got the first month's rewards.

There's another thread on this. (Because that's what triggered me looking into it.)

I have it. The 5% is applied towards your balance monthly.

Yep. Works well.

It automatically applies each month as statement credit.

Be a little careful w/ the names. There is an Amazon.com store card that doesn't get the 5% rewards. There is an upgraded version of this card that you can get if you are a Prime member .....sometimes it's called Amazon Prime store card; sometimes it's called Amazon.com store card also.......it's this version that gets the 5%.

Note also that the 5% rewards technically only goes to the Prime member. If you are a couple, probably only one of you is the Prime member although the other gets to share in the shipping benefits. Have the real Prime member sign
up for the Amazon Prime card; the other person can use the same store card
and also earn the 5%. If the other person (non Prime member) signs up for their own Amazon.com store card, they probably won't get the 5% rewards
on their own card.

I have the Amazon store card (the one with Synchrony). It has greatly simplified my transactions.

I don't like the credit card web site.

They recently started the 5% back and they have reduced the bill so far. No problems there.

A question for those with Prime membership and this card. Do you get the 5% for all transactions on amazon.com? Even if the goods are from "Other sellers on Amazon"?

Last edited:
I think Discover card will be giving 5% cash back for most of the last half of this year.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

I think Discover card will be giving 5% cash back for most of the last half of this year.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.

For those who like to complicate their lives:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html
confirmation that amazon will be covered the last half of this yr.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1500944/
about getting double cashback for new Discover IT card meaning you can get 10% back on Amazon purchases (subject perhaps to some max quarterly spending) for the last half of 2016 after enrolling . You also double any other rewards you get for the yr after you are enrolled. Also if someone refers you, both
get $50 signup/referrral bonuses possibly? also subject to the doubling.

You will have to enroll in the rewards program each quarter to get the 5%.

Last edited:
For those who like to complicate their lives:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html
confirmation that amazon will be covered the last half of this yr.

Thanks for the post. We usually use our Amazon Chase card for 3% on Amazon purchases. Then at the end of 2015 our Chase Freedom card had a 10% for Amazon purchases, which was a nice one!

I've dug out our Discover card and put a note on it and activated the offer for July-Sept. Oct-Dec will have to be activated later.

A gotcha on the Amazon Store Card. Make sure your defaults are set for 5% in all cases and keep an eagle eye out for anyone else using your card.

My husband was gypped recently on a couple of large purchases when he used my card. I have my defaults always set to 5% statement credit, but because he is not the prime account owner or store card holder, he doesn't have a place to do this.

He made two large purchases (>$149) recently, and didn't realize in the Amazon payment screen that "Promotional Deferred Interest" had been chosen for him by default. So he accidentally forfeited the 5% store credit for those purchases. This is infuriating, because he didn't even realize what was happening. And it just seems so sneaky. It's not even apparent on the checkout page that it can be changed.

I have the correct defaults set in my account, but he didn't have the option to set the same defaults in his, since he is not the card holder.

We did a test with a higher dollar purchase, and found that if you go to "change payment method", then you are given the opportunity, under the store card, to choose between 5% statement credit or the promotional financing.

So - be sure when using this card for purchases over $149, that "promotional financing" is not selected by default, and use "change payment method" to correct it so that 5% statement credit is selected instead.

Turns out my husband had been caught out by this a year ago as well. Poor thing - he had no idea what had happened, that there was some alternative to the credit (not desired by us) for larger purchases, and I just caught it on this recent statement.

He provided feedback to Amazon on their user interface, they called us to discuss it, and they linked us to Synchrony bank who they said could change it from promotional financing back to statement credit. Synchrony bank customer service readily submitted the change request to store credit from promotional financing, that I should see something online within 48 to 72 hours, and that it might take one to two statement cycles to get the credit. So - if you catch it quickly Synchrony can change it - but what a pain!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom