Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Prime going to $99 but stock makes up for it
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon Prime going to $99 but stock makes up for it

I just got a notice that on May 28 my Amazon Prime will go up to $99 (from $79).

Taking some of the sting out of it, one of my ETF's has 1.7% in Amazon and Amazon stock is up today by 2.4% (as of 8:30am PST). The general market is down so I figure I made a little in Amazon. For me the math is:

Net change = -$20 + $60 (from stock) = $40

Maybe they should have raised Prime to $150?

If you owned $100,000 of Total Stock Market, then your Amazon stock pushed up its value by $15 by my calculations.

This points out a general situation that for many of us (including pensioners) stocks buffer us from some of the rising prices.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I look at things the same way. My little bit of Costco stock goes up enough to pay for my membership.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm no longer an Amazon stock owner (not directly anyway, unfortunately). However, I've been an Amazon customer since 2000 and do 90% of my shopping there, in fact, almost one or two items a week. I've also been a Prime member since they first introduced it. It was a pretty good deal for $76.

$99 is border line getting into the 'hmm do I really need the 2 day shipping?' category. I'll still keep it but anymore and I'll probably drop it. Personally I think they should offer two options for their Prime expedited shipping $76 for a 3-day shipping and $130 for a 1-day shipping. When I order something I'm ok waiting for it for 3 or perhaps even 4 days before but usually not OK with the standard shipping which could take over a week and a half depending on what it is and where it's shipping from.

May be I should drop the Prime membership so I'm not so trigger happy buying stuff and 'getting my Prime membership's worth'
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I will discontinue the memeber when comes for renewal in a couple of months. I used to like prime because I can buy a couple of things and get free shipping. Now I need to spend at least $35. I rather save the $99 since I will get free shipping anyway if I spend $35, albeit not 2 day shipping.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my amazon prime. Twenty more dollars, oh well, I think I will stick with it.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

At $99, it's still worth it for me. I get at least a couple of packages from AMZ every week. Some of them are really bulky and/or heavy (like my cats' dry food) and paying for the actual shipping costs would become prohibitive very quickly.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here's how to continue to get Prime for $79 - at least for a while.

For new memberships the price is still $79 until mid-April.

If you are an existing member, until the price goes up you can purchase an Amazon Prime Membership Gift Card for $79 and specify the future delivery date of the gift. Our membership just renewed and I'm purchasing a Prime gift card for DW, with a delivery date the day after our membership expires next February.

Hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Administrator

Thanks, REWahoo.

Oooh, they are so smart to price it at $99. I was afraid they would up it to $150 and then I would have had to think about it. But $99 is pretty reasonable, even for those of us who don't use their streaming video.

Mostly I use Prime for the free two day shipping. I do use the Kindle library but not very much, since usually the books I want are not offered. I saw one yesterday that I plan to borrow, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
At $99, it's still worth it for me. I get at least a couple of packages from AMZ every week. Some of them are really bulky and/or heavy (like my cats' dry food) and paying for the actual shipping costs would become prohibitive very quickly.
Same here. It is amazing how much my Amazon purchases have increased since started Amazon Prime. I probably order five times as much as I used to order from Amazon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's how to continue to get Prime for $79 - at least for a while.

For new memberships the price is still $79 until mid-April.

If you are an existing member, until the price goes up you can purchase an Amazon Prime Membership Gift Card for $79 and specify the future delivery date of the gift. Our membership just renewed and I'm purchasing a Prime gift card for DW, with a delivery date the day after our membership expires next February.

Hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks...
Interesting idea there ReWahoo.

Our account is linked to Chase and I'd just as soon keep it the same. So could I let the Prime expire May 28, and use a gift card purchased with another credit card from DW to get Prime for another year say at the start of June?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
So could I let the Prime expire May 28, and use a gift card purchased with another credit card from DW to get Prime for another year say at the start of June?
You got it...

Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I just checked and my annual membership renews today by coincidence so I'll get the next year for $79. I'll probably still renew at $99 but I'll assess that a year from now based on my usage over the next year.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

My student Prime membership (free the first year) is going up to $39 when it renews later this year, and then in 2015 to $49. I don't think it includes the streaming stuff, as I don't use that.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never seen the benefit of amazon prime. I bundle things up to get over the minimum for free shipping, most things I order are delivered in 3-5 days anyway. I'm not in that big of a rush for it.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I have never seen the benefit of amazon prime.
Since we 'cut the cord' and get our TV programming via OTA antenna and streaming, Amazon Prime has a double benefit for us. Amazon Instant Video plus the two day delivery at no additional charge makes it well worth it in our situation.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I Joined Prime just before Christmas with the 30 day free trial. I managed to get free and two day shipping on almost all our Christmas gifts this year!. I became a full member early January and added three family members for free. (That's a good deal).

So now DW, DD, Dstep-daughter and I are using it for shipping, movies, Kindle, etc.

Next year I am renewing at $99.

Personally, I hate shopping in brick and mortar stores so Prime will serve me well. I ordered two new toilets, three bar stools and several other home goods for our newer home this Spring so far. And *sometimes* Amazon fails to charge us sales tax also (Texas residents are required to pay, I believe).
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

My purchases significantly increased after I got their Prime membership about 3yrs ago - which is why they offered it in the first place to increase their sales. On the other hand for me it just became way too easy to spend my money on things I don't really need. For me, and I'm sure others too, the act of pulling out your wallet and handing over even a credit card for the purchases keeps the spending habits in check. I'm in the technology field and I see that in the not too far future carrying a wallet will be like carrying a landline these days. I buy my Starbucks on my iPhone, my online purchases are all done electronically with pre-saved cards, bills pays and even my Chase rewards points are connected to my Amazon account. I feel we're slowly becoming desensitized to the amount of money we spend because of the way we pay for things. When I see an item for $75 online its value seems less than if I were to pull out $75 from my wallet. I just looked at the last 2 weeks worth of things I bought on Amazon. I bet I wouldn't miss any of them if I didn't have them. Anyway, that's just my own observation.

So I think the price increase just gives me the impetus to sit it out for a while after my current Prime membership expires and see if I really need the Prime service going forward.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

We had been paying $79 a year for year. This past Christmas, we actually started using Prime Instant Video - $20 a year for that "new" benefit (new to me) seems well worth it.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I have never seen the benefit of amazon prime. I bundle things up to get over the minimum for free shipping, most things I order are delivered in 3-5 days anyway. I'm not in that big of a rush for it.
Considering the general 'delayed gratification' attitude that most of us FIRE/LBYM types have, I'm surprised as well - although some say they find the Instant Video worthwhile, that certainly changes the value proposition.

I almost never have been in such a rush that I couldn't accept the free shipping option, and bundle a few things that I need and keep in reserve for that occasion. And if I did want/need it fast, paying shipping charges once or twice a year would still be less than $99 in most cases.

The only time I can recall paying shipping was recently - DD called and needed a new toner cartridge at college. I had bought a 3 pack (we have 4 of these printers in the family now, Brother HL-2270DW), so I thought I'd mail one of ours to her (I didn't think she would need one until she returned for break). Turned out that I could now buy a single, for less each than the three pack, and shipping was less than mailing one of ours. Done.

After all that, we recalled the 'continue on low toner' option, set that, and I think she is still running on the first cart now.

It's also encouraging that when you send to a different address - amazon runs you through some added security checks.

-ERD50
Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Here's a way to lock in your next renewal for $79.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57620296-285/how-to-lock-in-another-year-of-amazon-prime-at-$79/?ttag=fbwp
See post #7 above.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oops! Sorry, I did a quick scan (too quick) and missed your post.