an article in the NYT about annuity pitch steak dinner

...We soon were seated next to another couple at a table for four. Nice. However it was soon apparent that they were shills and we were the mark...

Interesting. Never thought they'd team up two-on-two. A few plants in the audience maybe, but your own personal shills? Wow!

I wonder how much they pay the shills. Maybe a good side hustle there...

Actually, at the two of these I've been to (one time share, one annuity sales pitch) I actually felt bad for the other couples seated near us. Especially if they ask questions. Maybe I still feel it's rude to contradict the presenter who just bought me dinner. I don't want to come out and say "this is BS" so I'll say something like "I don't really see how the numbers would work for us."

I guess they count on us marks being polite like that.

Interesting. Never thought they'd team up two-on-two. A few plants in the audience maybe, but your own personal shills? Wow!

I wonder how much they pay the shills. Maybe a good side hustle there...

Actually, at the two of these I've been to (one time share, one annuity sales pitch) I actually felt bad for the other couples seated near us. Especially if they ask questions. Maybe I still feel it's rude to contradict the presenter who just bought me dinner. I don't want to come out and say "this is BS" so I'll say something like "I don't really see how the numbers would work for us."

I guess they count on us marks being polite like that.

Yeah, I concluded that we'll take this presentation under advisement. I am surprised that there has been no follow up. They dropped at least a hundred bucks on us for no good reason. It confirms that there must be a heck of a commission for the conversions.

What’s Your Time Worth?

Reading this thread makes me think of Darrow Kirkpatrick’s blog post on determining what you time is worth: https://www.caniretireyet.com/financial-simplicity-what-is-your-time-worth/

He does it to help decide whether to spend time on financial mgt and other tasks. But, one does give up time for these ‘free’ dinner pitches, or other such offers, so it seems applicable.

I have never attended a ‘free dinner’ sales pitch; the 2-4 hrs for $100-$150 (for 2 people) never seemed like a good investment of our time, knowing we wouldn’t be buying. However, up the ante enough and you’ll get my interest. For example, offer me 5 nights in a $2000/nt 2BR/2BA oceanfront suite on Maui @ $500/nt for listening to a 1.5 hr timeshare pitch, and I’m in. :). That’s $2,500/hr for me plus same for DW. Not sure I’d do the timeshare thing again but, I was pretty happy with deal at the time and, $2,500/hr is a bit more than I made while working. ;)

Reading this thread makes me think of Darrow Kirkpatrick’s blog post on determining what you time is worth: https://www.caniretireyet.com/financial-simplicity-what-is-your-time-worth/

He does it to help decide whether to spend time on financial mgt and other tasks. But, one does give up time for these ‘free’ dinner pitches, or other such offers, so it seems applicable.

I have never attended a ‘free dinner’ sales pitch; the 2-4 hrs for $100-$150 (for 2 people) never seemed like a good investment of our time, knowing we wouldn’t be buying. However, up the ante enough and you’ll get my interest. For example, offer me 5 nights in a $2000/nt 2BR/2BA oceanfront suite on Maui @ $500/nt for listening to a 1.5 hr timeshare pitch, and I’m in. :). That’s $2,500/hr for me plus same for DW. Not sure I’d do the timeshare thing again but, I was pretty happy with deal at the time and, $2,500/hr is a bit more than I made while working. ;)

One has to eat dinner, so if it is at a steakhouse close by, good for me, plus love to compare their knowledge with what I know already.

I enjoyed reading this article. The content will not surprise anybody here.

"We went to a steak dinner annuity pitch. The salesman wasn't pleased".

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/...dinner.html?smid=tw-nytimesbusiness&smtyp=cur
In Orlando Florida there are many time share presentations where a free good meal is offered and usually includes free tickets to Disney or Universal. 2-3 hours of time but worth it. Someone in the group always get suckered into buying into one of the sales pitches.

If DW wants to try a restaurant we haven't been to, we'll often go. I haven't found any obvious shills in the audience, but have found some people that we might find fun to hang around with. During the down-time, after the presenter packs-up, we've often had some nice conversations. It's just a bit awkward to try to catch-up with these folks at some later time. Our best option was a couple that told us of their usual hang-outs and usual nights. But they're like 25 miles away, so we never went.

So rather than focus on the "cost" of my time, I like to leverage the "value" the pitch man offers to us all: rounding up people of our age, of our socioeconomic stratus, that might have similar interests.

We have never went to one but got a offer recently so we are going in a few weeks. I won’t do timeshares anymore because they get too rude and aggressive.

I've speculated while sitting through free dinner pitches. Say, 36 in attendance at $35 a pop. Add a tip, and you're over $1500 for the night. There could be some wine, and better meat. But let's say the FA is out $2500 for the night. Some percentage of the expense is covered by ad dollars. And those annuity salesman? Their company kicks in to allow them some floor time.
If just one attendee brings 1M to the FA, we're talking at least $7500 new advisory income. Even with a few shills, several plate lickers, and me, it is profitable.

Just got an invite today. Choice of one of two nights they are offering a nice dinner at a local restaurant. We went to one at the same place a couple years ago. One of us had a nice steak and one a nice salmon meal. This is a different company making the sales pitch, but probably the same message.....invest with them.

If the weather is good, I think we might attend. Night out on someone else's tab. I don't feel that I'm taking advantage of them as THEY are the ones extending the offer. They must have gotten my name somewhere and decided to spend 'two meals' on me and take a chance. It's called marketing/selling/business.

Like someone else said, who knows, I could very well learn something about funds, retirement, investments, etc. Just so that I don't JUST take their word for it. And NO, they won't be getting any of my funds.

Being cheap as I am, I'd go. But being vegan, a free sweet potato (if I was lucky enough to be offered one) would really not be worth my time. I guess I could bring the steak home for my doggies.

I went to one that was at a place DW and I would go once a year after we were FI. Expected and got a better than average meal, though not up to the places normal quality.
The night includes a presentation from an attorney who after I checked on him I used for my will and POA. The FA sales guy gave a fifteen minute talk and let it go at that. His A/V equipment failed and he just handed out some business cards and chalked it up to a bad day. Found out DS called him and he was honest enough to tell her his firm didn't fit her. That got me to save his card in case I ever decide I need an FA.

I’m going to an estate planning seminar tomorrow. They are serving Continental Breakfast, does that count? I almost prefer presentations that provide a light meal or snacks. No pressure. My favorite was the box lunch seminars Fido no longer offers. While I might enjoy a free steak dinner, I don’t think I would learn anything and DW would be miserable. It’s interesting to watch the interaction between the presenter and the prospects but they usually require spouse to attend if married.

Well I went to two, a week apart; a few years back. I got a call from my account representative at TD Ameritrade "inviting" me to them. I was curious, so I dragged DH to them

One turned out to be for Fisher Investments. The next was for bonds.

I was seated upfront at the Fisher presentation; and my questions to Fisher were about their fees; and about their performance. To the best of my recollection, they started at 1.5%; but if you went over a certain level; they reduced the charge. (No, I did not shout out, "WOW, YOU CHARGE A LOT" ) I don't remember the details with regard to their performance levels; other than when asked, they dragged out a chart to show they lost less during some periods of stock market drops, and that they protected their investors. I got some calls from Fisher and TD after that meeting, but was not tempted. I stopped answering the phone when I saw who was calling.

Regarding the meeting about the bonds, that was an in-house rep. Even he seemed dejected about some of the low income levels at the time. I did not get the impression that there were any shills at our table. Same group of attendees each time. All (at least reportedly) TD customers; and more interested in talking about their own investments than what was being presented.

Will I ever attend any in the future? I don't know. Maybe after I retire. Right now I don't have the time and my DH makes better steak than any restaurant.

Last edited:
Jackpot! Choice of Ruth's Chris or another steakhouse I've never been to. Invitation is to "A Timely Learning Seminar for IRA and 401(k) Owners. I think the answer will be "Buy An Annuity". I'll probably pass.

Over the years I have attended many "free meal seminars", listened to the sales spiel, had a nice meal and left without committing to anything.

I got invited !!!
This is terrific as it's been the first time in many years (if ever) to get invited.

It's also a sign our neighborhood has gone up in value ? As I heard they only send the invites to certain area's.

It's for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. . I've never been there ... ymmmm !!

I got invited !!!
This is terrific as it's been the first time in many years (if ever) to get invited.

It's also a sign our neighborhood has gone up in value ? As I heard they only send the invites to certain area's.

It's for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. . I've never been there ... ymmmm !!

Ruth Chris is one of our favorite steak places, for the few times we eat steak out.

I got one today that's a little different.

Free dinner at a local restaurant "Immediately following our digestive health seminar."

There's a list of digestive system symptoms, along with the suggestion to "Learn what you can do to restore your gut function, naturally and WITHOUT DRUGS"

It's "Presented by Wellness & Functional Medical Expert" so-and-so, "L.A.C, M.A.O.M."

Being familiar with pseudo-medical "cures" and "natural" remedies, I have no interest.

I'm guessing this guy isn't even a chiropractor, since he doesn't have a "Dr." prefix. The acronyms after his name imply some sort of affiliation, which Google suggests may be acupuncture related. If so, it's disappointing that acupuncturists are getting into this phony medical scam game, along with (dishonest) chiropractors. These few bad apples give their entire fields a bad name.

Anyway, it's a new one on me, so I figured I'd pass it along.

I got one today that's a little different.

Free dinner at a local restaurant "Immediately following our digestive health seminar."

There's a list of digestive system symptoms, along with the suggestion to "Learn what you can do to restore your gut function, naturally and WITHOUT DRUGS"

Well, at least you know he’s not full of $h!t. :LOL:

I got invited !!!

Could be. Or, could be due to recent market volatility causing folks to be nervous about equity investments. That’s certainly been the tone of several infomercials on radio and TV lately.

I was seated upfront at the Fisher presentation; and my questions to Fisher were about their fees ...

I would love to go to one of these seminars and ask the presenter, "Would you please throw up a spreadsheet showing how hosting these seminars results in a long-term net profit for your company?" Nothing else the presenter would have to say would be of much interest. After asking such a question, I doubt that I would be invited back any time soon. :)

BTW: a large number of "free" meals are offered locally by wealth managers via snail-mail and ads in the local newspapers. This is a surprisingly popular way for such folks to troll for new clients. I sometimes wonder how much the people who call are pre-qualified before being allowed to attend. Too many people looking only for a free meal could turn these seminars into an unprofitable enterprise for their hosts.

A wealth manager who needs to drum up business by selling seminar tickets and making money by book royalties is someone I would avoid. There is a sucker born every minute. Although if a free good meal is thrown in, I would still go.

Back
Top Bottom