Another reason I like Indexing

urn2bfree

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been out of individual stocks for over four years, but every few months I get another reminder of one of the things I hated about owning individual stocks. I just received another notification of a class action lawsuit about owning a stock from some date to another. These usually settle for something like $50-$300 for me but are a huge PITA trying to dig up documents from many years ago of when I bought which shares, etc. I guess I could just ignore them and know that it would not have bothered me if I had remained ignorant, but it is hard to put that toothpaste back in the tube. I do, however, feel grateful that someday in the future I should stop receiving these notifications as individual stock ownership fades ever farther in my rearview mirror. With so many of these fraudulent stock deals, it all just reminds me what a racket stock trading ultimately has become.
Oh, I also do not miss all those meaningless proxy votes.

I didn't mind the paperwork so much.

What bothered me about individual stocks was trying to figure out whether they would go up or down. ;)

When it comes to fixing computers, there are a lot of people who think they know an awful lot more than they do. In actuality, they know just enough to cause quite a bit of damage.

I figured out early on that I was the same way with individual equities, and that my level of knowledge was unlikely to increase. For that reason, I index. I do have small amounts in GOOG, RAX and BIDU (having just sold my position in MAKO) but as I sell my small positions in these stocks, I will not be buying more.

Ownership of individual equities is just not for me.

I would have to learn far too much to get involved with individual stocks, or deal with an FA. I see neither the need - or the profit - in doing either.

Back
Top Bottom