Another word besides retirement

A grand-poohbah at work just announced he's leaving the company. His global email said he was going to "take a pause in his career".

Someone coined the term "pretired". i think that's pretty goo, except that you'll end up having to explain it to most people. I generally tell people I'm a financially independent investor.

It is refinement.

Having time to enjoy and pursue the finer things in life, at leisure.

"I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets
Make love to these woman languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home..."

Steely Dan, on what I do all [-]night[/-] day...

"I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets
Make love to these woman languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home..."

Steely Dan, on what I do all [-]night[/-] day...

learn to play the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink scotch whiskey all day long

What do you call working 25-50% time for some years for 1/10th your previous wage so you can enjoy life more?

A cut in hourly wage so severe it's not worth considering. How would that be more enjoyable?

I started with entrepreneur adventurer and in trying for something more fun then entrepreneur; thought of going rogue but that turned out to mean shady dealings.
Try remittance man, let them worry if you meant welfare or living off the fruits of your portfolio-or your dad's.
I tell people I am living off my good looks. That stops them dead-for good reason.

Now I'm trying to remember a series of private detective novels where the guy took a job then didn't work again til he ran out of money.He lived on a houseboat. Anybody know what that was??

A cut in hourly wage so severe it's not worth considering. How would that be more enjoyable?
The enjoyable part is a combination of working part time (vs full time) and in a job that is either helping people or is fun (vs being burnt out and so far removed from having a positive impact). My current job pays very well, but there isn't an opportunity for it to go part time. At our net worth and projected (and current) level of spending, $10k to $20k of retirement income from a PT job for several years can help offload the stress some, but albeit not a ton, of both worry and our investments. Firecalc and other methods seem to indicate we are close/borderline in our ability to retire outright, so some income coming in for a few years would be beneficial. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are great and and many quite entertaining!

Last edited:
Now I'm trying to remember a series of private detective novels where the guy took a job then didn't work again til he ran out of money.He lived on a houseboat. Anybody know what that was??

ONLY MY FAVORITE SERIES OF ALL TIME!!!!

John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series.
I own a copy of every book he wrote.

I put my life on the fast track by removing inefficiencies that hampered my self development while simultaneously exploiting the synergy of reduced expenses, lower frustration and a healthier lifestyle.

It’s annual review time at work, so I’m kind of in review BS mode. I don't really have to fill one out this year since I will be gone before raises occur.

The enjoyable part is a combination of working part time (vs full time) and in a job that is either helping people or is fun (vs being burnt out and so far removed from having a positive impact). My current job pays very well, but there isn't an opportunity for it to go part time. At our net worth and projected (and current) level of spending, $10k to $20k of retirement income from a PT job for several years can help offload the stress some, but albeit not a ton, of both worry and our investments. Firecalc and other methods seem to indicate we are close/borderline in our ability to retire outright, so some income coming in for a few years would be beneficial. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are great and and many quite entertaining!

Still, unless you misstated the numbers, 1/10th the salary for 1/4 to 1/2 the hours? In other words, you were making (example) $50K working 40 hrs/week but now will be making $5K working 10-20 hrs/wk? That would be a cut in pay from ~$25/hr to $5-$10/hr. If I loved the job enough to take that pay cut I'd stay full time and keep the higher rate. JMO, though.

Here is a conversation I had this week with a family member I haven't talked with in a while.

FM: So what are you up to these days?
Meadbh: I'm retired.
FM: Oh. So you're taking some time off?

Showing once again that people hear what they want to hear.

Anyway, we don't like to say retirement as that brings up images of slow lifestyles or not working at all.
Not according to all those non-FI people who claim to be retired but are really self-employed (writing books or blogs telling everyone that they are retired).

Somewhat tiring to hear "you are too young to retire" and also want to avoid drawn out explanations. Our finances are our business of course and we do not owe anyone explanations.
Funny, isn't it, how people feel it's perfectly all right to make such judgmental statements ... even though they would never dream of telling someone that they are "too old to work".

One thing I always notice is that service workers often seem happy at work. I stop in regularly at a few restaurants etc., and people are always friendly, upbeat and basically cheerful.
"Like Brian, for example, who has 37 pieces of flair, okay? And a terrific smile."

I thought we would use the term "rewired" but realized how stupid it sounded and that people would not understand what the heck it meant or would assume I had developed speech issues and was trying to say "retired." And really no one cares.

For the OP's purposes I would just say part-time.

Back
Top Bottom