Anybody buying?

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
Haven't heard peep on the subject, so I was wondering the current mood and whether it signaled a buying opportunity for some, or if others feel we have further to go. Evaluations even with the recent drop are high according to number crunchers, which includes both stocks and bonds.

Of course the global markets are fueling the fire, but according to Carl Icahn's latest mini documentary, there is more to it than that. But then we must question the motives in putting it out.

I have a monthly purchase of shares I do every month of IVV. The current October 2015 order is set for 60 shares of IVV at a limit of $183.91. It closed at $189.05 today.

If it does not hit by ~10/15, I will pull the trigger and get it with a limit order at market price.

My dividends are reinvested on 10/1, at the ex-dividend price date of 9/25 prices.

I am relying on 130+ years of market history, regardless of what my gut tells me.

yeah I'm buying but powder is running low so maybe one last shot will be my limit.

I have run out dry powder about one week ago, but my 401(k) automatic contributions will go in tomorrow. Will do some buying when my next CD matures.

I have been buying very little since the debacle on Aug 21, less than $50K worth. Whatever I bought, I lost money on. :)

I have to go slow if I am to keep buying until the market finds bottom, which maybe a while. Some of my buys are short-term plays, and I will book quick profits if they bounce.

Last edited:
I am watching but not pulling the trigger, but almost all of the MLP market took a severe nosedive over the last two days...I think there might be more downside over the next 90 days vs. upside, so will ease into some of the better (more financially strong) players in this space over that time period.

We still have a lot of cash from the sale of our home last month. Over this month I've been buying shares in a few Vanguard ETFs very slowly, limit orders in fairly small amts, and when they fill I set up new limit orders w prices ~ 2% below the previous order. Most of my current orders filled yesterday so I set up new limit orders w prices about 2% lower. Yeah, I'm a pessimist. :rolleyes:

I'll keep buying on a slow bell until I reach our 60/30/10 target, then I'll leave it alone & just rebalance annually.

Last edited:
Wish I could, but I don't have the cash to do so. Dividends and capital gain distributions are paid out to my checking account and they cover my living expenses.

So far I haven't had to touch my principal since I ER'd almost 16 months ago and hope to continue that trend for several more years.

But yeah, if I had a large sum of cash laying around I'd be buying right now.

Yes-- had been waiting for a downward trend, so I could DCA more cash into favorites within the IRA's. It's nice to watch my "average purchase price per share" drop. Too much cash had been sitting in the Vanguard money market.

Have been catching falling knives for the last two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mp

Looking to do some switches from funds to similar ETF's to capture the loss and avoid the cap gains that are certainly coming.
Stocks I've bought this week were buy/writes with options being at or slightly below the money.
My outright buys have been small additions of VYM and IVW.

I moved up some contributions to be able to buy over the next few days once my deposits post.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I had not gotten around to funding our IRAs so last week I finally bought some Vanguard funds with them at the bargain prices. Now of course they are even cheaper :facepalm:

I am going to look close at some VWO if it dips into the mid $20s.

Nope, except for dividend reinvestment. I haven't hit my rebalance limits yet.

Last edited:
We still have a lot of cash from the sale of our home last month. Over this month I've been buying shares in a few Vanguard ETFs very slowly, limit orders in fairly small amts, and when they fill I set up new limit orders w prices ~ 2% below the previous order. Most of my current orders filled yesterday so I again have new orders w prices about 2% lower. Yeah, I'm a pessimist. :rolleyes:

I'll keep buying on a slow bell until I reach our 60/30/10 target, then I'll leave it alone & just rebalance annually.

Funny a number of you mention this. I made a comment to this effect on that "other" board of Vanguard followers, and I got preached to like I was so naive to try and "time the market" (a very, very bad word:nonono:). According to respondents "limit orders" were a fools game.

We still have a lot of cash from the sale of our home last month.

Same here except the sale was in May and I've been sitting on the money ever since. I started a weekly DCA purchase during the big dip in August and have been steadily buying since then. At my current rate I have another 16 weeks' worth of purchases at my increased rate to use up the house proceeds, then I'll go back to my (much smaller) monthly purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

As money appears in my accounts I have been buying the asset class that's got killed in my portfolio. Emerging markets. All those people on TV tell me not to do it but my allocation says buy. So I buy.

Have been catching falling knives for the last two weeks....

Me too if that makes you feel any better (misery loves company theory). I've been holding my nose and continuing to re-balance into emerging markets, committees, etc.

Looking to do some switches from funds to similar ETF's to capture the loss and avoid the cap gains that are [-]certainly[/-] hopefully coming.....

This too. Still need to do a couple of more switches to lock in more short term losses from the last couple of weeks.

Already did my main buying on the previous dips ($400K) so burned up all of my dry powder, so now I am left with the monthly purchases within my 401K ($4417/mnth).
I am okay with that. :)

I am going to look close at some VWO if it dips into the mid $20s.

VWO in the mid $20's means another 22% drop from here. Come on, why are you so bearish? :)

That would take it way back to 2005, nulling out a decade of gains. Yikes!

If every stock is like this, posters who are not yet retired will be talking of doing OMD (one more decade). When they finally stop work, they will be ready for SS at 70.

Still accumulating so still buying, averaging down on most things. Don't really have 'extra' funds to put in now but if I did....bazinga more of something else that is down.

I try to stick to two moments a year where I reallocate - one in mid december, one in june.

If this keeps up I'll shift my equity allocation to 50% or even 55% (now at 40%). It will be invested in VT (mostly) and VOE, my only two passive funds.

Want to end up with 80% in equities eventually (somewhere in the next ten years).

Thinking about it but my little (successful) dabble from the August low seemed like a bit of a fluke. If I didn't get out when I did I would be loosing more and more. Not sure I could catch the right exits again so...

Back
Top Bottom