Join Early Retirement Today

Time's up :o)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Time's up :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcha View Post
I'll carry on for another year and report back, if anyone seems interested.
Hey Dr Cha. >>I'M<< still interested, if you have another year to report.
How's it been going? I'm thinking of starting down the Ivy Road
Thanks
Jim

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in PA View Post
Hey Dr Cha. >>I'M<< still interested, if you have another year to report.
How's it been going? I'm thinking of starting down the Ivy Road
Thanks
Jim
The good Dr hasn't logged onto the forum for more than a year. Maybe you should send up the bat signal...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Jim,

10% last year. This year, about 21% annualized, though I still have 3 months to go, so things could change.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm back. 12.9% for 2011.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Appreciate the follow up/update. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently purchased the book, and have read a few chapters. It is a worthwhile book, but some of the concepts may surprise, especially if this is one of the first investing books you read.

For instance, the Yale portfolio which is the center of this book, is not easily replicated. There are suggestions as to how to approximate the strategy, but owing a REIT is not the same as having hard assets that date back 100 hundred years or so, as does the Yale portfolio.

A very interesting book, and it will take me some time to full understand what is in it.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks Doc

Appreciate the update, Dr Cha. With the S&P 500 doing nothing for the year, 12.9% was not too shabby.

Can you give us the big picture here? I presume that you were invested until August (?). Did you go short then as you alluded to earlier? What happened after that? From what you had said, you use the 200 day MA of the efts. Have any crossed back above as the S&P has?

And again, thanks for the update.
Jim
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcha View Post
Ok, I promised to come back after using this method for a year and compare it to Vanguard Wellesley. After taxes and commissions, I have made 21.3%. It looks like Vanguard Wellesley has returned about 16.1% after taxes and commissions. I am assuming an average tax rate of 20%.

I still strongly disagree with the statment above that this is riskier than a 60/40 fund. My results look pretty much like what Mebane Faber says: about half the trades are winners, the winners end up being held much longer than the losers, and the average winner is about 10 times the size of the average loser. My expectation is that this methodology will underperform a raging bull market most of the time, but will vastly outperform in a true bear market.

I'll carry on for another year and report back, if anyone seems interested.

This is my understanding as well. The ivy portfolio emphasizes the quantitative aspect of a low correlation portfolio which is more involved than the risk adjusted stock/bond retirement etfs you see in vanguard.

The 200 day moving average is a guide, not necessarily a prescription. The message is the best way to make money is to not lose it. (sounds simple in theory). personally I use several moving average crossovers, as it provides a clearer picture and avoids the whipsaws that others are referring to.