Anyone Incorporate their trading / investment account?

A couple adds and question:

First, again thank you for all the advice and comments.

In the business, I think ill buy a condo or townhouse that my kid can live in during college and use as an investment for other renters and especially longer term.

Can I keep all earnings in the business? For example if I make $100k on stock prices rising and dividends, rent, etc. I don't need to show any income from the business correct? I can continue to rollover paper gains etc over time, correct?
You won't show income, but the business will.

You won't show income, but the business will.

This may seem like a dumb question but let's say through some stock transactions the business makes 200k, can the business just pile back in with more investments? It doesn't have to show the gains in that year does it?

This may seem like a dumb question but let's say through some stock transactions the business makes 200k, can the business just pile back in with more investments? It doesn't have to show the gains in that year does it?
You really need to get professional tax help for this.

You really need to get professional tax help for this.

+1
I will tell you that after running a business for 20+ years, the government always gets their share. Remember that saying about death and taxes?

Last edited:

Why would you think you would not have to show gains:confused:

Why would you think you would not have to show gains:confused:

I was thinking that if I carryover the gains in a new investment then I wouldn't... it's my understanding that if I sell a house at a profit then buy a new one at a higher cost, one doesn't need to show the gains?

I guess I thought the same concept applied but that's a big assumption.

I was thinking that if I carryover the gains in a new investment then I wouldn't... it's my understanding that if I sell a house at a profit then buy a new one at a higher cost, one doesn't need to show the gains?

I think you are confusing a few issues. When you sell an investment for a gain, the gain is either ST or LT. You can use losses to offset those, but if you roll a gain into another investment, the gain has been captured already.

Your house example could be a 1031 exchange, but that is a whole other animal. You really need a lawyer to pull that off.

I think you are talking about a very old tax dodge that was done away with years ago. Now if you sell a primary residence, you have a $250K ($500K for a couple) exemption on the profit. But that only applies to a primary residence. As COcheesehead said, for a rental or second home you can do a 1031 exchange to delay paying tax on the gains, but that definitely requires professional help. And none of that applies to stocks.

The home ownership was a special case for individuals.... not for corporation... and it was only for your primary residence... if you had a second home it did not apply...

Basically think that if you sell anything at a profit you might have to pay tax on the profit and you will be in a better place than you are now.... you might have some exceptions here or there, but the default should be 'it is taxable'....

Back
Top Bottom