Anyone using Ally or a Kassasa account?

ArkTinkerer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Now that we are moving our business accounts, I'm looking at our personal accounts and thinking about where to go with those. Ally has a pretty good ad series and looks pretty good online but has anyone here actually used them? Kassasa looks OK as well.

I like being able to put funds away and get some interest but being able to use any ATM is a real draw for me. Online access to the account info helps as well.

So, again, anyone use these or something like them?

I like Ally a lot. I only use them for online savings and I have a 2-year CD with them. It is pretty easy to move money around and they seem to beat the projected transfer times most times.

We've had all our cash at Ally for about two years, and we've been pleased. Their online savings rates are competitive, and transactions, etc. are quick and user friendly.

I'm also using Ally, both checking and savings accounts. Love the free, anywhere, ATMs, too! Easy to use web interface. They have a very helpful chat service and good rates.

We have our 5% cash allocation at Ally. Transferring in/out is easy and fast. But we don't use any other banking functions... just the online savings, as a convenient place to park cash and earn very competitive rates. We do all traditional banking in a Fidelity cash management account, but keep a minimal balance there.

Another favorable opinion of Ally to add to the list. Th majority of my cash is is with them and the service and web functionality is excellent.

I had a checking account with Ally for several years but recently closed it. Their service was good but I really didn't use the account very much. I was getting better checking, saving and CD rates at my local brick and mortar bank. I do keep a checking account at Charles Schwab (for free ATM) and find it very easy to move money on-line between my brokerage accounts and checking account as needed.

Last edited:
I use Ally checking and saving. Free checks and interest in both accounts. Deposit funds from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We have cash in local independent bank Kassasa accounts... dumped Bank of America long ago in favor of earning at least a little interest...
here's a cut and paste of what our bank offers

Free, high-interest checking account
2.50% APY* on balances up to $10,000
2.50% - 0.54% APY on balances over $10,000 depending on balance in account*
0.05% APY* if qualifications aren't met
Nationwide ATM fee refunds*
Can link to high-interest Kasasa Saver account
No minimum balance to earn rewards
No monthly service fee
Free online banking with bill pay
Free paperless e-Statements
Free debit card
Unlimited check writing
Direct deposit available
Check images with statements
Unlimited TeleBanking
$100 minimum deposit to open

We have a couple Kasasa accounts...
one pays 1.5% up to $15k First Arkansas Bank & Trust
one pays 1.26% up to $50k Farmers & Merchants Bank (in VA)

Have been with both for 5+ years or so. Definitely feels like small banks when you call in, but all good.

I've had a Kasasa account for a few years. It started great, with 2.25% on 50k. They now are down to 1.5% on 25k. The game is you need one ACH deposit and 10 POS usages on the debit card (per month) I don't like the idea of having a debit card on a higher balance account, but, well, I guess it's just a risk I take. My CU has a better rate on more of the balance, but you need 30 POS transactions a month! I'd need to go to ten different places and spend money every time I left the house!

I opened an Ally savings account about a year ago, then added a checking account about six months ago. I've been very happy with the service - online chat is quick and informative when I need it, checks and ATM use are free, money can be transferred between checking and savings instantly. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom