Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #41
gone traveling

Well, just as I was warned, the IRS used my overpayment for at least a month after my return was accepted with e-file.

Quote:
We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Unless there is a processing delay or you owe other taxes, you should receive your refund by March 6, 2012.
Actually it will be closer to 5 weeks.

But in any case, it won't fall within the 10 - 21 day window they claim.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think we know what software your accountant has been using to do your returns.
Years ago I use to have an accounting office on the floor above my business. During tax time about every 15 minutes I would hear the little TT software start up jingle.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I e-filed using TT on February 3rd and I got an email about six hours later that my Federal return has been accepted. I've been checking the Where's My Refund website for a little over two weeks. I wonder if
Quote:
This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days.
is gubment speak for "have absolutely no idea..."? No wonder they don't have a date on the message.

Some years back the IRS used to send refunds out on Tuedays and Fridays. I think. Does anyone know if that practice still stands?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #44

This answer was on the TT website. I can't link it because I think you have to sign into TT for their Q&A.

Quote:
February 17, 2012 - More Information on Nationwide IRS Refund Delay

The refunds released today by the IRS included only a small number of refunds that were filed in the first week of the month. Current estimates are that about half of all returns filed between 2/2 and 2/7 have not yet been released by the IRS due to a nationwide IRS computer problem.

The IRS has a button at the top of IRS.GOV that says "I'm waiting for my refund". When a taxpayer clicks this button, they go to Where's My Refund and see an IRS message that explains "We are aware that some taxpayers who have filed electronically and received an acknowledgment from the IRS are concerned when the visit Where's My Refund and are told that we have no information regarding their return. This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days."

It appears that up to 70% of the taxpayers still waiting for their refund filed in the first week of February and are not found in Where's My Refund. This leads these taxpayers to incorrectly believe that their return was not filed. Also, a small number of taxpayers are seeing a message that their refund was released when in fact it was not. In these situations, we have found that if these taxpayer returns to Where's My Refund in a few days, they will see a different message and that this new message (which will now be correct) will either show that their refund was not released or give the taxpayer a new future release date. It is difficult on all of us when the IRS does not show correct information on Where's My Refund.

This coming Monday is a federal holiday. As a result, unfortunately, the IRS will not release any refunds to any banks on Monday. As of today, looking at our statistics of tax returns filed, for returns filed on 2/1, approximately 10% have not yet been released by the IRS. For returns filed on 2/2, approximately 50% have not been released, while for returns filed between 2/3 and 2/4, about 60% of refunds have not yet been released by the IRS. For returns filed between 2/5 and 2/9, about 40% have not yet been released. For returns filed 2/10, about 50% have not yet been released. For returns filed on 2/11, about 60% have not yet been funded. For returns filed 2/12 or later, the IRS has so far released only a small number of these refunds.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed my 2011 taxes using TT for both myself and my DD on Feb 3, 2012. I am due a refund of ~$2,600, my DD owed a few bucks which I scheduled for an early April withdrawal. Her taxes show up fine checking on the IRS website. Mine do not exist (except in Intuit/TT land and all their not very assuring e-mails). Like everyone else here, Intuit/TT says the have been accepted. I saw the IRS note of 10-21 days "delay", should I wait until 24th (21 days) to start "raising H**l" Any suggestions since I don't exist when I put in my information on the IRS website for where is my return? BTW, I’ve used TT for the last 6 years and this first time had any problems like this. Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
Any suggestions since I don't exist when I put in my information on the IRS website for where is my return?
Patience maybe? I'm in exactly the same boat but not going to worry about it - at least not for now.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #47

I filed on February 3rd also and I don't expect the refund to show up until early March. Bummer. This problem is soley on the shoulders of IRS. They had a programming problem that looks like it's continuing to be a problem. What bothers me is I'm pretty sure the people in charge of the "problem" got a three day weekend.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
I filed on February 3rd also and I don't expect the refund to show up until early March. Bummer. This problem is soley on the shoulders of IRS. They had a programming problem that looks like it's continuing to be a problem. What bothers me is I'm pretty sure the people in charge of the "problem" got a three day weekend.
I am sure many of them also took Friday and/or Tuesday. Federal employers with more than 3 yrs get 20 days of vacation and 13 days of what we (when I worked for the Govt.) called "slick" leave. 26 days of vacation after 15 years.

Anyway, some of this may also be due to Congress sending in last minute to the President at the end of year. I can't think of or point to anything specific. But having worked large software systems for much of my career it takes time implement and test changes resulting from tax law changes.

Do not get me wrong the IRS is still near the top of my resentment list, but I know for a fact lawmakers have no clue when they pass a bill that effects some major software driven system, it takes time for the changes to be put in place by the Govt. or contract employees that do the work.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #49

Quote:
<snip>Anyway, some of this may also be due to Congress sending in last minute to the President at the end of year.
I absolutely agree that's a major part of the problem. HOWEVER, my return was a simple 1040 without any schedules or forms (the problem areas) so there is no reason it should not have been pushed through fast and furious.

Every time I log on to Where's My Return I answer the survey questions. The gubment likes surveys so I'm happy to oblige. I'm satisfied on the first two questions and I give them the absolute worse rating on the third question about my satisfaction of the information I received using this website.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #50

I mailed my passport renewal 10 days after I e-filed my taxes. I bet I'll get my passport before my refund. At least the Department of State's Passport_Application_Status website works. (I put in the link in case some of you were not aware you could track your passport application.)
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Every time I log on to Where's My Return I answer the survey questions. The gubment likes surveys so I'm happy to oblige. I'm satisfied on the first two questions and I give them the absolute worse rating on the third question about my satisfaction of the information I received using this website.
I gave them the same rating, probably many people are giving that lat question the lowest rating. Generally when there is a short survey like this, and you give a low score, your are given a chance to explain the low score. Hmmmm, I guess the IRS doesn't want a bunch of expletives from those that are due a refund
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Some years back the IRS used to send refunds out on Tuedays and Fridays. I think. Does anyone know if that practice still stands?
I filed this year using Free File Fillable Forms, and one of the emails they sent me stated: "Now that your return has been accepted, in 72 hours, you will be able to track your refund at Where's My Refund? on the IRS website. ... The IRS issues refunds every Friday, so if you check Where's My Refund and do not get an expected refund date, wait until the next Friday to check again. You can also call (800) 829-4477 for refund status, but wait at least 4 weeks from the day you e-filed."
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Slowly getting more annoyed at Intuit and IRS

I'll give the IRS their 21 days to get an acknowledgment from them (The actual IRS, not Intuit, God, my Congressman. Bill Gates....) that my TT electronic files were received and are queued up in the IRS system. Right now I just getting tired of seeing the following message after the 15 or 20 times I use “where is my refund".

You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again.
Please confirm your Social Security Number, Filing Status and Refund Amount shown below.

How does know Intuit know my tax files didn’t get lost somewhere in IRS computer land. I have prepared an amended return to file. Added the cents in, instead of rounding to the nearest dollar. So I’ll be sending in an amended return to a return that seems to ne lost in cyberspace. I will call the IRS Richmond office first, but I’m getting ready to leave the country for a while and won’t be back after mid-April. I just want an answer from the IRS that they have or don’t have my return. If the refund gets dragged out some, that is fine.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #54

Quote:
I'll give the IRS their 21 days to get an acknowledgment from them (The actual IRS, not Intuit, God, my Congressman. Bill Gates....) that my TT electronic files were received and are queued up in the IRS system. Right now I just getting tired of seeing the following message after the 15 or 20 times I use ďwhere is my refund".
What happens after the 21 days?

Quote:
How does know Intuit know my tax files didnít get lost somewhere in IRS computer land.
Because the IRS sends an acknowledgement.

Quote:
I have prepared an amended return to file. Added the cents in, instead of rounding to the nearest dollar. So Iíll be sending in an amended return to a return that seems to ne lost in cyberspace. I will call the IRS Richmond office first, but Iím getting ready to leave the country for a while and wonít be back after mid-April. I just want an answer from the IRS that they have or donít have my return. If the refund gets dragged out some, that is fine.
Why are you amending?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #55

I am happy to report that, after 19 days in limbo-land, the Where's My Refund finally shows IRS received our tax return and to expect our refund by March 6th. It's still neck-in-neck if I'll get my refund or my passport first. I'm still betting on the passport even though it was mailed ten days after I e-filed my tax return. Oh, the suspense!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #56

Prototype - it's not Intuit's problem so you might want to back off blaming them. Like MichaelB said, as long as you got the confirmation IRS received your tax return you're OK. Eveything that's happening is because of the IRS and their programming problems. It looks like the folks at the IRS enjoyed such a nice, restful three-day weekend they were able to kick things into high a higher gear.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #57

Quote:
I am happy to report that, after 19 days in limbo-land, the Where's My Refund finally shows IRS received our tax return and to expect our refund by March 6th. It's still neck-in-neck if I'll get my refund or my passport first. I'm still betting on the passport even though it was mailed ten days after I e-filed my tax return. Oh, the suspense!
Maybe the IRS employees are reading this thread and making sure the returns get acknowledged, but not too soon.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I e-filed using TT on February 3rd and I got an email about six hours later that my Federal return has been accepted. I've been checking the Where's My Refund website for a little over two weeks. I wonder if is gubment speak for "have absolutely no idea..."? No wonder they don't have a date on the message.

Direct deposits are coming in on random days this year.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #59

I think they just got the computer-caused log jam cleared. I can't imagine it would take another two weeks to process my very simple return. It's passport versus refund.

OR - maybe IRS just put that notice out for everyone just to keep us off their backs. So.... is the message (return being processed and a March 6th date) real or fictional? Hmmm... something else to ponder. Real or Memorex (doesn anyone remember that commercial?)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Mine also finally popped up on "where's my return" this morning also after 19 days. Thanks to all for tolerating my previous rants