H&R Block Limit 3 form 8938

Sunset

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicag
This year H&R Block decided to limit form 8938 to 3 for e-file.

The form 8938 is to report foreign accounts to the IRS.

Last year there was no limit which was good as I have a few that were always empty but the bank refuses to close them, to "keep the records" :facepalm:

Of course H&R Block only warns a person when they are about to e-file. :mad:

Searched Internet, best choice was file with 3, then do amended return.

So I filed, with 3 accounts to get my return done.
Then did their 1040x which also turns out also limits to 3 of the forms :mad:

Finally I just filled out the pdf 1040x from the IRS - easy and just 2 pages total, plus my 30 pages of form 8938..

Off to the mailbox next week.

Will NOT buy H&R Block for next year !!

Seems like it may be worthwhile revisiting those account closures? I don't know what country your accounts are located in but I am pretty familiar with several European systems and I have never encountered a bank that refused to close an account. Also, if the balances are all zero then I would consider just ignoring them and not file the 8938 for those.

Does Block want you to upgrade to a costlier version to handle more of those forms?

My quick googlefu shows that IRS says you can only efile one Form 8938, but with up to 25 page 2 attachments for different accounts. Did you tell HRB you had multiple attachments, or just try to file 15 full forms. Best I can tell, IRS prevents that, not HRB. I would guess the 3 forms at HRB are for husband accounts, wife accounts, and maybe a trust (3 TINs).

Seems like it may be worthwhile revisiting those account closures? I don't know what country your accounts are located in but I am pretty familiar with several European systems and I have never encountered a bank that refused to close an account. Also, if the balances are all zero then I would consider just ignoring them and not file the 8938 for those.

Yes, I will be talking to them again, maybe a different person can give a different answer.

I don't want to ignore the accounts, as an OCD gov't worker could say I owe fine of $10K for failing to report.

My quick googlefu shows that IRS says you can only efile one Form 8938, but with up to 25 page 2 attachments for different accounts. Did you tell HRB you had multiple attachments, or just try to file 15 full forms. Best I can tell, IRS prevents that, not HRB. I would guess the 3 forms at HRB are for husband accounts, wife accounts, and maybe a trust (3 TINs).

The HRB forms in the software all seem the same, and it's the same (already prefilled) from last year (except for the $$$ and conversion factor).

Maybe IRS changed their rule for this year :confused:

Besides my beef with HRB changing the rules without warning.

I also think the 8930 requirement is dumb, as they set different thresholds depending upon if you live in USA or outside USA (both are required to file USA taxes).

And extra annoyed by it as I have to file FINCEN as well and it's practically a duplicate filing.

Back
Top Bottom