Anyone worried about the Ukrainian situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually spent a fair bit of time in different parts of the Ukraine teaching from 2004-2008 and still have many contacts there. They are all very concerned about what is going on but most of all, regardless of whether their leanings are Ukrainian or Russian, they long for good, honest and accountable government.

Let's worry more about what is happening near the good old USA. How about Venezuela, or Cuba, or drug cartels in Mexico? Even Uppity Canadians! :D Why are we so easily distracted by things that have the least effect on our lives?

I'm not worried from an financial investment perspective. This too shall pass. I'm more worried as we have friends over there, some who have kids in Ukraine's armed forces. The concern is more personal than financial.

Did someone say that same thing about IRAQ?
Omce upon a time there was a Yugoslavia, Bosnia... there was some activity Kosovo as well. Hmmmm. Remember Scott O'Grady?

I think there will be an impact, but I think it will be temporary, from which the indexes will quickly recover. The panic crew made their moves today: I think we'll see things stabilize in a week. At the risk of getting political, Putin has tactically won already, and I don't see any nation rocking the boat too much over Crimea! when no one's been hurt and the move was popular with a large portion of Crimean residents.

I don't see any reason to change strategies...

Just my $.02

Dont be niave. This is Russia vs the USA. The stakes are much higher as this could escalate exponentially. I doubt it will since a hawk is not in da house, but the potential is always there. Its much more serious than Syria.

I'm more worried from a war standpoint than finances.

But maybe it's about time to get back to the "good old days" where Russia and the USA can't stand each other. :blush:

At last we'd know where each stands.

Dont be niave. This is Russia vs the USA. The stakes are much higher as this could escalate exponentially. I doubt it will since a hawk is not in da house, but the potential is always there. Its much more serious than Syria.

So I should rent a backhoe and start digging the backyard bomb shelter post haste?

The stakes are much higher as this could escalate exponentially. I doubt it will since a hawk is not in da house, but the potential is always there.
That's not how it works. It only takes one "hawk" to escalate, and one "hawk" can be more dangerous than two. There was no "hawk" in Ukraine, but they got their escalation. There was no "hawk" in Poland in 1939, and France was hawk-free in 1940.

Why? Everybody made a lot of money off that last Cold War. And the dangers were wildly overstated. But it wouldn't have been as profitable if the People had known that.

Kind of hard to overstate the dangers of global thermonuclear war in my opinion.

The Ukraine thing's got nothing to do with this. Bloomberg, CNBC, and other media pundits still have not figured out what forum frequenters have known for quite a few years now. It's the "Wheee" from the Oracle of New Orleans.

See this post on Friday 2/28/2014: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ur-equity-allocation-70808-3.html#post1421394.

I was off this site for a few days due to heavy involvement with audio stuff, but even if I knew about the above post, still would not be able to sell everything in time.

Anyway, I do not know if it's time to dig bomb or nuclear shelter, but how do I back out of this recently placed order of a pair of Sonus Faber Aida speakers?

Just joking. Certainly about the SF speaker order.

Kind of hard to overstate the dangers of global thermonuclear war in my opinion.

Well said.
Even Russia's conventional forces are plenty potent enough to screw over the world- or at least many important parts of it.

It looks like the Russian pullback from the border has relieved the financial issues for now.

It looks like the Russian pullback from the border has relieved the financial issues for now.

I see the financial issues all related to Ukraine and the EU dependence upon Russian natural gas. That issue existed before the current Crimea situation, and will exist after. Unstable foreign policy from Russia is always a concern.

I suspect that the only real suffering will be the Ukranian people.

There is a reason why countries like Albania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Poland are members of NATO. Mr. Putin has just strengthened those reasons.

Looks like Putin has decided to play nice for a bit. Hopefully both sides can talk things out, perhaps Russia pays some $$ to Ukraine for a long lease (or buys outright) the bases in the Crimea, builds a land bridge to them from Russia and things smooth over.

The Ukraine thing's got nothing to do with this. Bloomberg, CNBC, and other media pundits still have not figured out what forum frequenters have known for quite a few years now. It's the "Wheee" from the Oracle of New Orleans.
<snip>

I was off this site for a few days due to heavy involvement with audio stuff, but even if I knew about the above post, still would not be able to sell everything in time.

Anyway, I do not know if it's time to dig bomb or nuclear shelter, but how do I back out of this recently placed order of a pair of Sonus Faber Aida speakers?

There you go, trying to hijack yet another thread with your fascination of all things audio--from strings to a pair of Sonus Faber Aida speakers.

IMHO this is a pretty unique situation, with Russia having a major southern naval base there, and so many ethnic Russians. Nevertheless it is a long term loosing position for Putin and Russia no matter what option they choose, both economically and politically.

In spite of calls from some US politicians for 'action', there wont be sanctions or anything else other than some symbolic G8 (G7?) meeting posturing, freezing some mostly symbolic transactions, etc. Both sides know they are not the only ones who get to move the chess pieces here.

Even now the Russians are seeing the economic effects in their falling markets and currency. And both the other European countries and Russia see the disaster a trade war would have.

Long term this is really bad for Russia, tips their hand (heavy hand) and makes their neighbors even more wary of ties with them. There will be more long dislike of Russia in Ukraine and an even stronger desire to be allied with the west.

Short term it makes Putin vastly more popular in Russia (they like strong shirtless leaders apparently), so short term is a plus for him. But he has to stop short of disturbing the economic conditions to severely or risk tipping Russia into a deep recession.

Other than as a source for raw materials and gas and oil, Russia is not too critical to the world economy, so I doubt there will be much economic impact in the west, assuming the west and Ukraine will still keep buying Russian energy resources.

We have been in much much greater areas of differences with Russia in the past. This is pretty localized and will likely remain so.

On the other hand... It made no sense for the assassination of a minor Austrian archduke to start a world war either. So I guess when you assume that people or countries will act in their best long term interest, you have to take it everything with a hopeful grain of salt.

See this post on Friday 2/28/2014: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ur-equity-allocation-70808-3.html#post1421394.

Ha ha, i looked up those speakers and thought at first I saw $120/pr but then noticed there was a comma and 3 zeros after:

A pair of Sonus faber Aida loudspeakers cost $120,000!!

I'm doing OK but not that OK. I imagine they sound OK. Only then did I see your little note about joking. Got me!

Well, when other posters talked 'bout building bomb shelters and such, I though I could sneak in a line, and it was just a line mind you, about a change in planned spending (in jest). It's the other posters who made it worse by responding to it. ;)

Anyway, I did not buy nor sell anything (stock or speakers) and if the market holds up till close, I will be setting a new high above last Friday close when the "Wheee" decree was declared. Did she retract it or anything?

Last edited:
You can always count on Matt to come up with a witty cartoon.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 135
I got a text on Saturday from my roommate, asking if the land I have down in Southern VA has any buildings on it. I replied back "No. Why?"

Then I got another text talking about how the President was moved from DC and we gotta get out of this area, and how it's going to be worse than the Cuban Missile Crisis!

So, apparently, this stuff does scare some people.

Funny thing is, we went through roughly the same scenario 30-some years ago. I remember my Grandparents telling my Mom that if there was a nuclear outbreak, they were going to get me out of school, head down to that land immediately, and hole up. And that Mom could come meet us down there.

The part that nobody ever thought out though, is that if something like that happened, the roads EVERYWHERE would be jam-packed with traffic. Plus, DC is between us and that land in Southern VA, so even if it was some kind of safe haven, it's not like it would be that easy to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom