Are you frugal or a cheap b@$t@rd?

I know this is an old thread, but I have to weigh in on not having cable being considered CB. I couldn't disagree more.

I don't have cable for one simple reason: without it I read more, play music more, and in general do more enriching (to me) things. With it, I get sucked into watching things that, in retrospect, seem like a big waste of time. You could argue that I lack self-control and that may be the case. But what sense would it make to pay for cable and then decline to watch it? To me that's neither cheap nor frugal--that's just dumb and wasteful.

I only have so many years on the planet. I'd like to spend as little of it as I can being filled with the kind of drivel that seems to dominate 95% of the cable offerings (seems like 80+ % of it is cop shows or their derivatives. What's with that?). I can get news from lots of other places (and as an added bonus, don't have to listen to Fox, and it's "fair and unbiased (tm)" propaganda).

The only downside that I've ever found is a bit of cultural ignorance. TV shows come and go that I've never heard of. I've never watched (nor wanted to watch) American Idol or Dancing with the Stars so I miss the "social connection" of talking about such things. During my working years, the cable in motels on business trips was plenty to fill in those holes. I guess now that I'm ER'd, I'll just have to be blissfully ignorant....

I know this is an old thread, but I have to weigh in on not having cable being considered CB. I couldn't disagree more.

I'm a little confused by (but interested in) your post. Are you actually talking about watching television in general (whether the signal is delivered by cable or off-the-air) or just about watching programs only delivered by cable?

The only downside that I've ever found is a bit of cultural ignorance. TV shows come and go that I've never heard of. I've never watched (nor wanted to watch) American Idol or Dancing with the Stars so I miss the "social connection" of talking about such things. During my working years, the cable in motels on business trips was plenty to fill in those holes. I guess now that I'm ER'd, I'll just have to be blissfully ignorant....

You haven't lived until you've spent many evenings watching 'dancing with the stars', 'survivor', and 'american idol'. (heavy sarcastic tone)

I had a co-worker that was absolutely baffled that I'd never seen a single episode of 'friends'. Started referring to one episode just presuming that of course I'd seen it. Ugh, tv!

That said, some of those ,planet earth, shows were pretty cool.

- John

I'm a little confused by (but interested in) your post. Are you actually talking about watching television in general (whether the signal is delivered by cable or off-the-air) or just about watching programs only delivered by cable?

since I can't get reception any other way where I live, I just think of TV as something you pay for. But my point , is that I don't want to pay for something that for me seems to lower the quality of my life.

I'm not saying that there is nothing worthwhile whatsoever on television. But boy, it sure seems that you have to hunt for it. During the period I did have cable, I noticed that me (and everyone in the house) watched it more and more. That didn't seem to be the case when 3 stations were available with rabbit ears.

Obviously, this is a matter of personal preference. But I think that before labeling people a CB for regifting or not purchasing cable, it's well to remember that some folks just choose to live differently than others and the choice may not be primarily motivated by money. This forum seems full of them--that's a good thing!

Bosco, you are not alone. We do not have TV, period. We read and talk and walk around out in yard, throw ball for the dogs, watch the sheep, etc. I don't think there is much of anything worthwhile on television. To me, it is just a mechanism created to make you watch commercials and buy things.

There is a little TV in the guest room with a VCR that we keep just in case of hurricanes or whatnot. I think we can get local channels on it, but I'm not entirely sure.

I hate it when grown people act like little kids about Christmas. DH's family does this. We have gradually reduced the gift insanity by refusing to buy more than one gift for each adult, and then give books to the children in my family. My mom goes crazy for the grandkids, but it doesn't really affect childfree me!

We only got cable so we could have a cable modem for the computer. Now I have 108 channels that I don't watch; before I only had one channel to ignore. Although my current cultural knowledge is completely deficient, I don't regret not watching the TV. I would much rather read or waste my time here.

Can you keep the cable modem internet service and drop the TV service? We used to have cable tv and cable modem internet and we switched our tv service to satellite but just kept the cable modem internet. Years ago you could save $5 a month by having both but there is no longer that discount.

This is with Time Warner Cable Roadrunner.

I wish we could go without any pay TV service. But I just love the Discovery Channels, Bravo, A&E, MSNBC, CNN and Court TV.

since I can't get reception any other way where I live, I just think of TV as something you pay for.

Understood. I've lived in rural areas and understand your situation. Here in urbanville, we get 18 stations off the air without cable or satellite, so the temptation to watch too much tv is there regardless of whether you subscribe to cable/satellite or not. The 18 stations include all the networks, three PBS stations and a bunch of independents. PBS is the time killer for us. On Friday, there are several concert/music based shows like Austin City Limits and Soundstage. Sunday evening has several drama/mystery/comedy series we're hooked on.

We do our best to keep it under control and not waste too much time.

Can you keep the cable modem internet service and drop the TV service?

the one time I did have cable, it was because they wouldn't give me cable modem service without it and DSL was not available. when I complained, the acted like cable tv was the "carrier" and I wouldn't complain about being made to get local phone service if I wanted long distance. Weird attitude.

Where I live now, there is no DSL, but I can purchase cable modem without cable TV and that's what I do.

PBS is the time killer for us. On Friday, there are several concert/music based shows like Austin City Limits and Soundstage. Sunday evening has several drama/mystery/comedy series we're hooked on.

We do our best to keep it under control and not waste too much time.

When I could get reception, I watched PBS. Austin City Limits was also a favourite. One thing about PBS, though--as its funding gets cut, the spiels between programs seem to resemble commercials more and more. Although not as long, one wonders how long before it's just another commercial network.

To get back on topic, I'll make a nomination for CB:

When I was in university, I lived with some guys who would bring a paper shopping bag into public toilet stalls and "milk" TP into the bag to avoid buying the stuff. To me this is over the top, and probably constitutes theft.

To get back on topic, I'll make a nomination for CB:

When I was in university, I lived with some guys who would bring a paper shopping bag into public toilet stalls and "milk" TP into the bag to avoid buying the stuff. To me this is over the top, and probably constitutes theft.

Probably? What is the source of your doubt? :confused: I would think that the TP wasn't there for them to allow the general public to replenish their home supplies with as much free TP as they wanted - - it was there for people to use if needed in that facility.

There is a plethora of worthwhile shows on cable, leading with "How Things are Made" and "Dirty Jobs." I would also include "Boneyard" and "Modern Marvels" at the top of the list.

Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch and Lobster Wars are not bad but all contain WAY to many episodes. Perhaps six of each would do.

Pretty much everything on Discovery and The History Channel is ok at a minimum.

Yep - PBS, History, Discovery.

NOW! - somebody convince me - Football is not a drug, football is not a drug, football is not a drug.

heh heh heh heh heh heh -well at least soooo far not watching local High School Football on Friday night - like I did in Louisiana(Direct Tv)

Hair Cuttery. Fifteen bucks for the cut and two for the tip = 17.00. I could do some shopping, but the places I go to aren't exactly day spas. They're pretty low-rent. However, given the choice between a place that only charges five dollars and my wife cutting my hair, I think I'd actually feel safer having my wife do it. ;)

My mom always used to cut my dad's hair (he was bald on top) and always did a very professional looking job.

DSL instead of Cable

We only got cable so we could have a cable modem for the computer.
If you have an "old fashion" "land line" telephone, check with your phone company about DSL. AT&T has some incredible deals !

Yes, it is slower than cable, but unless you do a lot of large downloads you probably won't notice the difference except for the money you save :cool: !

the one time I did have cable, it was because they wouldn't give me cable modem service without it and DSL was not available. when I complained, the acted like cable tv was the "carrier" and I wouldn't complain about being made to get local phone service if I wanted long distance. Weird attitude.

Where I live now, there is no DSL, but I can purchase cable modem without cable TV and that's what I do.

I don't know if they figured out how to fix this yet, but at least as of a few years ago, the cable companies had no way to disable the basic cable signal in their cable lines - which means that even if they sell you just the cable broadband w/o the cable TV, all you need to do is splice the line and feed it to your TV to get the basic cable service. Of course, that would be illegal...and you'd really only save a few bucks a month, but may be useful information for some of you out there :)

Ah, and yes, doing so would qualify you for being a CB!

When we canceled our cable tv and kept just the cable modem service, they came out, climbed the pole in the back yard and installed a filter on our line. At least that's what they told us it was.......

When we canceled our cable tv and kept just the cable modem service, they came out, climbed the pole in the back yard and installed a filter on our line. At least that's what they told us it was.......

It was those nice men from the NSA.

My other holiday issue over the past few years is the charity thing. I love to give to those less fortunate during the holidays, and have done this for a long time. But now it seems that every group of people (multiple church groups, work groups, even my weight-loss group) adopts a family or something, and all of a sudden there are dozens of worthwhile causes calling for attention. Like I said, I really believe in this, but the sheer numbers are getting out of hand. And if you opt not to support anyone's individual "cause", people think you are just cheap.

Rant over!

CJ
For the last few years, I've made a deal with my girlfriend. We buy each other a thoughtful gift of around $10 and then we make a donation together to a needy cause. There are several organizations that allow you to purchase animals/livestock for needy villages around the world.
As an alternative, I've recently discovered (recently meaning earlier this morning) that local foodbanks can purchase excess pallets of food by the pound. In my local case, they buy canned food for 18 cents per pound, and from what I saw it is brand name quality items. This is potentially a way to make a huge food donation that fits with my "dollar stretching" mindset.

I've recently discovered (recently meaning earlier this morning) that local foodbanks can purchase excess pallets of food by the pound. In my local case, they buy canned food for 18 cents per pound, and from what I saw it is brand name quality items. This is potentially a way to make a huge food donation that fits with my "dollar stretching" mindset.

Could you share the details? Sounds like a great idea!

Fireup, That reminds me of a story I heard (no idea whether it's true) of a guy that got some huge amount of frequent flier miles (like a million) by buying pudding cups with a promotion, then donating them to a food shelf and taking the tax deduction.:angel:

How's this for frugal? I still use Managing Your Money 12 (for DOS)!

Too old and set in my ways, I guess. The only disadvantage is that it predicts my net worth in 2000! :D

Back
Top Bottom