Are you keeping a low profile in these difficult economic times?

This is a serious question, not sarcasm.
Do you actually need a permit of some kind to hold a part-time job in the US (other than citizenship, green-card etc)? If so, how do the 'powers that be' decide if you qualify? What does it cover: mowing lawns, babysitting?
Here in the frozen north, there are some restrictions on who businesses can hire on a regular basis but casual work for 'the guy next door' is fine. School attendance is mandatory until grade 8 or age 16, but weekends are yours.
Same child-labor laws here. The work permit probably just covers employers who are required to pay employment/payroll taxes. So her Kumon supervisor can't put her on the payroll without a work permit, although that same supervisor would be free to hire her as an "independent contractor" to mow her lawn or babysit her kids. I guess our kid would have to declare lawn-mowing/babysitting income as self-employed earnings and pay her own employment taxes.

I didn't mean to imply that getting a work permit is the kid's/parent's responsiblity. Her Kumon supervisor took care of that paperwork along with the witholding and other tax paperwork.

Our kid is the top earned-income employee in our household now, and pays more state taxes than we parents...

Our kid's high school has a work-release program for quailifying seniors, with classes up until noon and the rest of the day free. Four courses instead of six. She's far enough ahead on credits that she's applied for it. She'll continue to work at Kumon, perhaps take courses at the local community college, and get cracking on those college applications.

And of course kids are free to drop out anytime for homeschooling/unschooling & GEDs. Ours has had no interest in "Dad's Homeschool", despite my repeated generous offers to devote my time & attention to improving her appreciation of the finer aspects of education & culture.

I'm coming back next lifetime as a hot chick with X-ray money detectors for eyes.
You're still going to post the pictures here, right?

Last edited:
I used to have a Very nice Car, it became to much hassel parking it, worrying about it getting Key'd or Dented, People Bumping into it, etc..same for the Corvette.. Sold them both..now just a Lincoln TC and a older Mazda Miata sports car, Took out One of my Old Cars for a Drive qround the lake to have some drunk hit us and ruined that one ( 56 chevy) so keep the other 2 ( a 57' chevy and 72 Olds 442) parked in the Garages , House in Wi. is pretty well Covered up from the street with Evergreen Trees, etc.. and set back 100 yrd long driveway, Security system, etc..and just go were the others like kind go and stay away from inappropitate places that attract the lower mentality & trouble maker types..still no guarantees.. and I Do keep Guns in the House, since I am a Hunter and do Gun Club - trap shooting, etc..Still have my M16 from the Army days..
;)

We did a survey a few weeks ago. The vast majority of people on this forum declared themselves millionaires. Since only about 8% of the population belongs to that club, I think that millionaires could be described as rich. And if you are 40/50 years old and you can afford to stay in your PJs at home all day, I think that only on ER.org would we question whether or not that qualifies as rich.;)

Sorry but rich is not the proper word into todays world even with the recent downturn in net worth. Financially secure might be a more suitable term for posters-lurkers here. The truly wealthy-rich will not be hanging out on this site. No offense meant to all the great LBYMr's here but it's a relative world:cool:

The truly wealthy-rich will not be hanging out on this site. No offense meant to all the great LBYMr's here but it's a relative world:cool:

What's your definition of the "truly wealthy-rich?" Try to specific with some numbers...... ;)

What's your definition of the "truly wealthy-rich?" Try to specific with some numbers...... ;)

Well, I would have to agree that billionaires like Warren Buffet probably don't participate on this website. I don't think he would have the time to post. On the other hand, that is just a hunch and there is no way to know! Some of our members do seem to be extraordinarily wealthy.

I think he spends most of his online time playing bridge with Bill Gates. Or did, once upon a time.

That is when they aren't posting on the ER Forum about how old their oldest clothes are, that they would wear outside the house, or what their car value to house value ratios might be... :D

Sorry but rich is not the proper word into todays world even with the recent downturn in net worth. Financially secure might be a more suitable term for posters-lurkers here. The truly wealthy-rich will not be hanging out on this site. No offense meant to all the great LBYMr's here but it's a relative world:cool:

Again, I don't care whether YOU think you are rich, what I care about is whether other people think you are rich. Yes you are right, it's a relative world. So why compare yourself with the wealthiest 8% of the population (the "millionaires") instead of comparing yourself to the other 92%? And actually, you are comparing yourself to the "truly wealthy"... What's that? The top 1%? The top 0.1%? Bill Gates? It's kinda skewed, don't your think? Again, relative to the vast majority of people, ER.org posters can arguably be considered rich.

Put it another way. Let's say you are driving a Suburban. In your mind it's a rather small car compared to the car of your dreams, the Hummer H1. But would other people who drive compacts, sedans and small SUVs really think that a Suburban is a small car?

I conducted an informal survey among family and friends over the past week. To the question: "would you consider someone with a net worth of $1M+ rich", 95% answered "yes". The lone person who answered "no" happened to be the one millionaire in the bunch...

I conducted an informal survey among family and friends over the past week. To the question: "would you consider someone with a net worth of $1M+ rich", 95% answered "yes". The lone person who answered "no" happened to be the one millionaire in the bunch...

So, were all your friends and family jealous of you?:whistle:

Well, I would have to agree that billionaires like Warren Buffet probably don't participate on this website. I don't think he would have the time to post. On the other hand, that is just a hunch and there is no way to know! Some of our members do seem to be extraordinarily wealthy.
Ok, Warren, the game's up! :hide:
Come out, come out wherever you aaaaaaaaarrrrre.

So, were all your friends and family jealous of you?:whistle:

No, because they have no idea about how much we make or how much we have. We were talking about executive compensations and the question came up in that context. So they assumed I was asking a purely rhetorical question...

Again, I don't care whether YOU think you are rich, what I care about is whether other people think you are rich. Yes you are right, it's a relative world. So why compare yourself with the wealthiest 8% of the population (the "millionaires") instead of comparing yourself to the other 92%? And actually, you are comparing yourself to the "truly wealthy"... What's that? The top 1%? The top 0.1%? Bill Gates? It's kinda skewed, don't your think? Again, relative to the vast majority of people, ER.org posters can arguably be considered rich.

Put it another way. Let's say you are driving a Suburban. In your mind it's a rather small car compared to the car of your dreams, the Hummer H1. But would other people who drive compacts, sedans and small SUVs really think that a Suburban is a small car?

Why are you so interested in hammering on this?

"Rich" is clearly a word open to any interpretation. It is a judgment, not a statement of fact, or a reliable taxonomic categorization

IMO, it does not include people who spend a lot of time obsessing about small daily expenses. Or trying to define "rich"". How 'bout I help you out of your pain- You, Firedreamer are hereby certified as rich, and let no one challenge this label. You can now go forth with a calm heart.

Ha

"Rich" is clearly a word open to any interpretation. It is a judgment, not a statement of fact, or a reliable taxonomic categorization

IMO, it does not include people who spend a lot of time obsessing about small daily expenses. Or trying to define "rich"". How 'bout I help you out of your pain- You, Firedreamer are hereby certified as rich, and let no one challenge this label. You can now go forth with a calm heart.

Ha

I was just trying to re-center the debate around my original question. You are right, I don't care either way and I am letting it go. You guys keep talking amongst yourselves.

Ah, but it needs to be! If it's not, then how can the gov't tax the heck out of "the rich"? Just consider us trying to define the word as doing what we can for our country, instead of asking what our country is doing [-]to [/-]for us. :greetings10:

Again, I don't care whether YOU think you are rich, what I care about is whether other people think you are rich. Yes you are right, it's a relative world. ...

I realize that financially I am better than many people out there. Still, I do not consider myself as rich, because I still have concerns over money, and the market movement still makes me sweat. The truly rich would have expenses way below the 4% SWR, unless they were really stupid, which makes you wonder how they stumbled across that pile of money in the 1st place. But I digress.

Anyway, what worries me is if the guvmint thinks you are rich. Now, that's a scary thought!

I know several friends who made the same or higher salary than I did, back when I was with megacorps. Then, the last 13 years I made even less than they did, due to my leaving the safety net and taking chances with business ventures that crashed and burned. Why is it that my assets are more than theirs? How will I get punished for my LBYM philosophy?

Remember that your neighbors or your cousins do not know what you have. Big brother, on the other hand, knows every dollar you have, and where you stash it.

"Rich" is a state of mind. I am rich because I decide that I am. I have enough to live my life the way I want to until I die.

(I know some people who are worth more than $10 million. I would not trade with them.)

Sorry don't have a number

I'd have considered a million rich back in the 70's and early 80's. Today I just think the word conjures up a sense of truly significant wealth. Blame the media if you want. For example belt tightening for the rich in these tough times might be selling the vineyard in Tuscany or putting the Gulfstream into a timeshare to help offset costs. Sure, the family with a 100 goats might be considered rich next to the family with 2 goats. Just one of those crazy 4 letter words open to a wide range of interpretation:cool:

Sorry don't have a number

I'd have considered a million rich back in the 70's and early 80's. Today I just think the word conjures up a sense of truly significant wealth. Blame the media if you want. For example belt tightening for the rich in these tough times might be selling the vineyard in Tuscany or putting the Gulfstream into a timeshare to help offset costs. Sure, the family with a 100 goats might be considered rich next to the family with 2 goats. Just one of those crazy 4 letter words open to a wide range of interpretation:cool:

I recommend a book by Lee Eisenberg, former EIC of Esquire magazine. I'm sure most on this forum have heard of it and some have read it. "THE NUMBER". (Sorry, I forget my 8th grade citation etiquette.)

I didn't learn much "practical" info in this book - such as AA, LBYM, etc. I did pick up some self psychology however. One of Eisenberg's "Bottom Lines" or take away messages is called "...almost everybody suffers from reference anxiety."

I'd always wondered about the phenomenon TargaDave pointed out above. It occurred to me that I had done the same thing 'to myself' over the years. I recalled a time in college when I didn't have a dime, yet had everything I needed. Then when I first got a job at Megacorp, I thought I was rich - for a month, anyway. After that, I always could (and sometimes did) compare myself to folks in my own work group, my old study group at college, by peers in other Megacorps or academia, etc. etc.

In simplest terms, it's a form of "keeping up with the Joneses." Never got into that too deeply, but here's where I learned something about myself. Eisenberg suggests there is a more insidious version of this phenomenon "...spiraling lifestyle entitelment." Or "When is good, good enough?" He explains it better than I can, but he gives an example of tastes in vodka. When you're a college student, any rot-gut will do. When you actually start to make some money, you move up to the "good" stuff. Then you find out there is "better" stuff and eventually, you buy only the "best". You still get just as wasted, but how could you ever go back to the rot-gut or even the good stuff?

Vodka is a bad example for me, but I can see this phenomenon in say, housing, TV sets, "toys" and other aspects of my lifestyle. While I consider myself an official member of the LBYM club, I can see lots of "life style creep" over the years.

Eisenberg also offers a "borrowed" definition of rich which includes some numbers. I won't quote the book further, but check it out (before inflation makes it obsolete!) at the book store or library sometime. The surprising thing is that when I just look at the numbers which define various levels of being "rich", they simultaneously seem too high and too low.

I'll give you an example. We (at least I) think of folks who fly private jets as being "rich". The top number Eisenberg lists as in the "rich" category is $100 mil. He doesn't go beyond that because his definition considers those folks "uninteresting" since they already have everything anyone could want. Don't think anyone on the board would argue that $100 mil is not rich.

But, I have an interest in such things as private jets. Can't explain it, I just do. I got to ride on Megacorp's Gulfstream a few times and now I try to follow prices of such "birds". I watch all the shows on the "mega-rich" and their toys. Jets and their outfitting are a big part of these shows.

So, consider that a new Gulfstream IV costs about $50 mil and you can see that even a rich person (with ONLY $100 mil) has to watch his pennies when he trades up to a G IV. Otherwise, his wife may not get to buy her 120 foot (sorry honey, we can't afford the 180 foot) yacht! Those poor rich people!

SO... It really is all relative. Anyway, the book helped me examine my thinking on wealth and "richness". Don't know if anyone else worries (or thinks) about such things. Guess they must or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

SO... It really is all relative. Anyway, the book helped me examine my thinking on wealth and "richness". Don't know if anyone else worries (or thinks) about such things. Guess they must or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I don't think about it often but... Today we pulled into a space in the KOA in San Antonio and there was one of those Mega-sized RVs in the space next to us. The type of RV I seen last month at a trade show for $450,000 and up. As I was setting up a guy (in his 70's?) came out and sat down at the table and opened a beer... said it was time for a "cold one." His RV had a really (I mean REALLY) nice trailer attached to it. I asked what he had in the trailer and he told it was for the car. We talked a bit while I set up. I went inside to finish up and he pulled a fantastic looking old (late 60's?) Gold Cutlass 442 out of the trailer and parked it along side his RV.

I don't know if that is "Rich" but he seemed to be "rolling in it."

Sorry don't have a number...Sure, the family with a 100 goats might be considered rich next to the family with 2 goats. Just one of those crazy 4 letter words open to a wide range of interpretation:cool:
I found the number. It would be the price tag on this baby: http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/Burj_Dubai.jpg
The financier has to be one serious goat owner. No low profile going on at this address.

Back
Top Bottom