Are you keeping a low profile in these difficult economic times?

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
It's pretty safe to say that most people on this board would be considered "rich" by any standard. Because we mostly live below our means though, most of us have probably learned to fly successfully under the radar. But, with the current economic and political climate, are you taking any extra steps to keep a low profile?

We have been the recipients of a few disagreeable comments lately, that's why I'm asking.

Yeah, I gave up wearing my bling... :LOL:

My profile is already lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut...

No.
However I have always had a rather low profile with regards to finances.

It's pretty safe to say that most people on this board would be considered "rich" by any standard. Because we mostly live below our means though, most of us have probably learned to fly successfully under the radar. But, with the current economic and political climate, are you taking any extra steps to keep a low profile?

We have been the recipients of a few disagreeable comments lately, that's why I'm asking.
Oooohhhhhhh, I'm rich I'm rich :clap::clap::clap: TY for making my day. ;)
Seriously, though, I have always been private about my finances. LH and I were DINKS, so we heard all the remarks over the years. Blah blah blah...
In my current situation, I continue to totally disregard any and all comments. Just smile and wave :greetings10:.
I'll share, again, what my Mom used to say...
"When the neighbors start paying my bills, then they can tell me how to live."

Just to make sure... We are also very private with our finances. Nobody knows what we are worth or how much we make. Not even close family members. We live on 30% of our gross income so it's not like we go around flaunting it either. But of course people close to us know that a DINK couple with 2 Ph.D.s must be making a good living...

No, I am what I am.

Well, I still wear torn underwear, old shirts, stained pants, shoes with card board in the soles, don't shave, have flies buzzing around me, but I have given up my gold chains

jug:nonono:

I drive a 1996 Jeep GC with 160,000 miles on it. The air dosen't work and the radio caught fire last year. The driver's seat has a piece worn out of it. It's worth about 2K? What does this have to do with keeping a low profile? Everything. The vehicle is sufficient for my needs. I live in an urban area where carjacking is common but no one would bother with me. Same thing with finances, a Walmart watch and faded jeans incognito all the way. Most think I'm worst off than they are.

Well, I still wear torn underwear, old shirts, stained pants, shoes with card board in the soles, don't shave, have flies buzzing around me, but I have given up my gold chains

jug:nonono:

Ha I knew I wasn't the only one who wore torn underwear!

No. To my knowledge, no one has ever thought that I am wealthy. I guess I'm doing something right...so no changes.....;)

No real change -- I've never been one to just go out and discuss my financial position with the general public and I've never been one for flaunting what wealth I may have. I live in a cheap, 65-year-old 2/1 house with 1150 square feet, for crying out loud... :)

Obviously on this board that changes *somewhat* but even here I usually don't go posting our financial statements except for occasional bits and pieces that might be relevant to the discussion.

Just to make sure... We are also very private with our finances. Nobody knows what we are worth or how much we make. Not even close family members. We live on 30% of our gross income so it's not like we go around flaunting it either. But of course people close to us know that a DINK couple with 2 Ph.D.s must be making a good living...
I hear ya.
Been there done that as a DINK couple, both GS-13 Engineers. No matter what you do, there will always be a grouse who has to try to ruin your day. Today's economy may drive the frequency of comments in an exponential fashion.
Freebird's Method of How to Deal with Disagreeable Comments...
Plan A: Smile and wave :greetings10:.
Plan B: Wave :greetings10: and smile.
Plan C: KMG (G stands for grits)

Good plan to keep asset details to yourselves, even family. Some would say "especially" family. :whistle:

Define "rich". I'm not sure I qualify.:cool:
"In better financial position than most of our peers," maybe? As a group I'd imagine we have more invested for retirement, more saved up for emergencies and less debt than the average person on the street for our age and income history.

One a somewhat related theme, even during normal times I find it very hard to find friends that are comfortable discussing finances even in a general way. I rarely bring it up myself, but when things drift that way everyone seems to shuffle their feet and change the subject.

Well there are plenty of other things to talk about with friends. I guess one of the nice things about this board is that money, retirement, and investing are not taboo.

One a somewhat related theme, even during normal times I find it very hard to find friends that are comfortable discussing finances even in a general way. I rarely bring it up myself, but when things drift that way everyone seems to shuffle their feet and change the subject.

Well there are plenty of other things to talk about with friends. I guess one of the nice things about this board is that money, retirement, and investing are not taboo.

Lawyer coworkers of mine always liked to discuss finances. From new investment possibilities to "my God, my daughter is going to Northwestern and we will have to pay through the nose!" Maybe in part it was because we always knew what each other makes. Outside of work, I have the same experience.

I just naturally keep a low profile: small old house in a blue collar neighborhood, small car, replace clothes when they wear out.

Cow-irkers used to mock me, but I'm retired.

And that's why I is and they ain't.
(points for the reference)

No change here. Low profile as usual. I am 30 with a good job but still travel like a college student (overnight buses because I am too cheap to pay for a hotel, etc.). It's nice to know I can still do it and have not been spoiled by a stable income.

Some people at work are very much taken aback when I tell them I am tentatively planning to retire later this year. I can almost hear them thinking, "How can she afford that?" After explaining my plans, I always laugh and say, "well, tentatively, you know, depending on the market!" But you know - - it isn't like I am going to cancel my plans if the Dow goes down. It already did that. :LOL:

Sometimes I remark on the price of gas, which doesn't really affect me since I only get my tank filled every six weeks.

I don't think most people that I know in real life think I am rich. I don't really feel rich though I might if the market keeps rising. :D

We mostly stay low profile; small home, used cars, no expensive toys. However we do take some nice vacations and DW has noticed some resentment from a few co-workers. I think it has more to do with the amount of time off DW is able to take without pay due to my much higher salary and generous vacation allowance. She is working because she still enjoys her job, not because we need her income to get by. She could retire anytime she chooses. Her co-workers know this and it seems to tick off some of them :mad:

Define "rich". I'm not sure I qualify.:cool:

We did a survey a few weeks ago. The vast majority of people on this forum declared themselves millionaires. Since only about 8% of the population belongs to that club, I think that millionaires could be described as rich. And if you are 40/50 years old and you can afford to stay in your PJs at home all day, I think that only on ER.org would we question whether or not that qualifies as rich.;)

Back
Top Bottom