Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2016, 03:40 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When the article opened misrepresenting the original SWR methodology, I didn't read any further. Bengen did not write "4% per year" or "blindly withdrawing."
Quote:
Well, in the good old days, you could withdraw 4% per year from your nest egg and it would last 30 years. Or at least that’s what financial planner Bill Bengen so famously wrote some 22 years ago. But now, in a world where interest rates float around zero and where investment returns are likely to be low for some time to come, blindly withdrawing 4% per year would be a disaster for your nest egg, and ultimately your standard of living.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

most of these journalists do not even realize how bad the math has to be for 4% to fail .

1965/1966 were pretty awful numbers wise over the first 15 year critical period .

to duplicate that horror show really takes a lot to go wrong and it has to happen in the first 15 years .

Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Attached is the spreadsheet in case anyone wants to play with it, changing
the factor or the growth numbers.

Many thanks to target2019 for the formulas.
Very nice! I changed it to have varying age/# so could adjust for early vs later (as some people noted, it seemed low in the out years).
Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Very nice! I changed it to have varying age/# so could adjust for early vs later (as some people noted, it seemed low in the out years).
Am I missing something here? Did someone upload an actual SS or just the screenshot(s)? Then the others typed the entries from the pic into a SS?
Old 08-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Varying Factors.
Attached Files
File Type: xls AgeMinus20_withdrawal_with_avg_growth-2.xls (29.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 06:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Attached is the spreadsheet in case anyone wants to play with it, changing
the factor or the growth numbers.

Many thanks to target2019 for the formulas.
Thanks for your modifications.

Last evening I came across an older xls spreadsheet that was created by Peter Ponzo, aka Gummy. His ss randomizes returns for 40 years, and you can modify several inputs.

He also added some modifications that I requested at the time, to account for additional factors. This included continuing to invest new money for a given number of years.

You can alter many more factors than with a straight line prediction of the future. I can't vouch for the correctness or appropriateness of this spread sheet for anyone's situation. It does contain and use his macros. I have saved it as a .xlsm file. Unfortunately, that can't be uploaded here. It is available through my gdrive, here is the link. It has been scanned with Malwarebytes and Mcafee.

Download the file and check with your antivirus to be safe. If/when you open it with Excel, if you get macro warning and don't want to proceed, then by all means, stop there.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Varying Factors.
thanks.......
Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Varying Factors.
Nice portrayal of tweaking the age-x factor.