As I get older

eta2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I read more and more quotes of Steineck and Hemingway and I listen more to more to Chopin or Beethoven.

I think I am better investor who makes better choices. I feel I am FI, I am relatively happy, it is nice to walk on autumn day:

"Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be a part of them forever
.” Ernest Hemingway

What do you feel about desire of being FI, its journey......aging.....being there.....

Still listening to Stoner Rock and reading lurid sci-fi novels at 54. Maybe after another 30-40 years I'll grow up...

Still listening to Stoner Rock and reading lurid sci-fi novels at 54. Maybe after another 30-40 years I'll grow up...

Consider me a snob :) but you did not get my point.......

In 2013 and 2014 I have dreamt and prepared much more. In both years I had extended layoff time during which I could practice FIRE behaviors. I feel partially retired, even though I'm working a temporary contract. It is almost as if the decisions are being made elsewhere.

The best analogy is that of a dog on a leash. Of course I will be leashed in some way for the rest of my life. One leash disappears, but one or more will appear near my door. The dream is that I will be off leash from time to time, and will go sniffing in various directions, exploring and enjoying life.

I'm finding that the older I get, the more I appreciate the humor of "Green Acres". When I was younger, I used to think it was pretty stupid sometimes. But now, I see some sort of creative, slightly evil genius lurking in there...

I'm finding that the older I get, the more I appreciate the humor of "Green Acres". When I was younger, I used to think it was pretty stupid sometimes. But now, I see some sort of creative, slightly evil genius lurking in there...

I agree! But if you ever get to the point where "Three's Company" starts being funny, I need to do an intervention! Same goes for Dukes of Hazzard! :D

I agree! But if you ever get to the point where "Three's Company" starts being funny, I need to do an intervention! Same goes for Dukes of Hazzard! :D
Nobody watched Dukes of Hazzard for the comedy. Depending on your priorities it would be silly car stunts or Daisy.

I went for Barney Miller and watched every episode. The frequency of watching a 30 - 40 year old TV episode is increasing. ETA2020, does that count?

DW and I watch old movies we have seen before and we can't remember any of it when watching it for the second time. It's like watching a new movie for the 1st time.

Nobody watched Dukes of Hazzard for the comedy. Depending on your priorities it would be silly car stunts or Daisy.

While I am a "Car-Guy", it was Daisy back in the day, and still is, when the re-runs are on. (Factoid- Her legs were insured for a million dollars while she was on the Dukes of Hazzard)

Last edited:
I'll confess to enjoying Three's Company, but mainly the earlier episodes. Once the Ropers left to be on their own tv show, I just didn't enjoy it as much. And when Chrissy left, it got worse.

I'll confess that the short lived "Ropers" spinoff is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Perhaps because, being a car guy, they showed him driving a '56 DeSoto... If I watch too much of the show it will give me a headache, but in small doses, it's fun. I couldn't just sit down and watch a whole marathon of them though, like I could with "Mama's Family" :cool:

I used to LOVE the Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid, but as I got older, they seemed to get stupider. Although, Daisy Duke was always a welcome sight.

She said there is no reason,
And the truth is plain to see
That I wandered through my playing cards,
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast.
And although my eyes were open,
They might just as well have been closed.

Procol Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale" is stoner rock - but it's also great poetry. No need to grow up mate..........

She said there is no reason,
And the truth is plain to see
That I wandered through my playing cards,
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast.
And although my eyes were open,
They might just as well have been closed.

Procol Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale" is stoner rock - but it's also great poetry. No need to grow up mate..........

Progressive rock, baroque rock, art rock, psychedelic rock, symphonic rock, blues rock, yes.

Stoner rock?

As I get older I realize that being FI has given me the opportunity to make the most of the most precious commodity we have, time. Time to enjoy listening to my grandson or granddaughter read a book out loud, time to enjoy hearing my son speak about his growing business, time to do anything I want, without the worry of having to rush at anything.

Last edited:
I read more and more quotes of Steineck and Hemingway and I listen more to more to Chopin or Beethoven.

I think I am better investor who makes better choices. I feel I am FI, I am relatively happy, it is nice to walk on autumn day:

"Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be a part of them forever
.” Ernest Hemingway

What do you feel about desire of being FI, its journey......aging.....being there.....

Retirement simply confirms the sage offerings of writers who had the time to think of them. For many years, it was a joy to teach kids to think about those passages/poems and watch them learn about life.

Now that I'm free to walk, enjoy the woods, re-read those authors, and think about what they say in new ways, I keep finding out just how "right" they often are. It's great if we can cut those w*orking years short ASAP, for as the poet says "getting and spending we lay waste our powers...."

Thoreau was right. "Simplify!" (Then we have more time to listen to music ....)

:)

My current house is a exactly 1/2 the square footage of my prior home and the lot is 1/4 the size. This home was purchased for two people, and was not purchased with stay over guests or house parties in mind. And we've had plenty of both even in this smaller home, with just as much joy and laughter as in the bigger home.

My life lesson - you don't need a large home. This house is the size of our first home. Getting older is like reverting back to the good old days when size didn't matter!

Even in teenage years, I listened to music that most people considered too sedate. Would you believe that only about 2 weeks ago, I discovered that the song "Come Together" was a Beatles song? Of course, I heard that song from time to time, but never liked it. And I rarely read things that are best-seller to keep up with the masses. So, my taste in books and music did not change much as I age.

Still, there are things that change with me as I get older. I drive even slower now. I eat less and drink less. I get even mellower, though I was never aggressive. I get more interested in history. When I travel, I like to know more about the locales that I visit. Generally, I think I become less self-centered.

The poem by Ernest Hemingway is beautiful...since I was a child part of me has always yearned to exist in that world of dreams and beauty. The work world many times pulled me away. Now that I am retired, watching the trees bend in the breeze is lovely.

Not getting older, just getting more experienced. Though I would gladly do without some experiences.

In 2013 and 2014 I have dreamt and prepared much more. In both years I had extended layoff time during which I could practice FIRE behaviors. I feel partially retired, even though I'm working a temporary contract. It is almost as if the decisions are being made elsewhere.

The best analogy is that of a dog on a leash. Of course I will be leashed in some way for the rest of my life. One leash disappears, but one or more will appear near my door. The dream is that I will be off leash from time to time, and will go sniffing in various directions, exploring and enjoying life.

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
John Steinbeck

Progressive rock, baroque rock, art rock, psychedelic rock, symphonic rock, blues rock, yes.

Stoner rock?

You bet - along with Bob Marley, The Grateful Dead, The Doors, Pink Floyd, etc.

Speaking not about a rigidly defined genre of music, but rather a state of mind "back in the day" while listening to Procol Harum.:angel:

In all seriousness, I try harder to find middle ground, to be kinder, and to think more before I speak.
But I have always loved to laugh, read, and listen to good musicians ply their art.

CSPAN, PBS, and a couple other channels that don't have commercials. Some great stuff there, and no commercials! :clap:

Back
Top Bottom