Can I afford not to get a Tesla (or a Bolt)

BlueberryPie

Recycles dryer sheets
My 2011(bought in 2010) Kia Sorento is getting old (transmission slipping) so I might be time to think about a replacement

We need two vehicle and buy one more or less every 5 years and alternate between a smaller one and an SUV style. We decided to push off the RV Trailer purchase for a few years so this is going to be our smaller/commuter vehicle purchase. I say commuter but as the other small car (Subaru Impreza) gets old and unreliable, the car were about to buy would be one our main car till we buy something that can tow a trailer.

My budget to stay under $30K, there isn't a ton on ICE vehicles to be had at that price (Kia Soul, Hyundai Kona are in the low-mid $20Ks base price) but is was noticing that I can get some EVs a lot cheaper with the tax rebates. You can get $7500 federal on some cars (my MAGI is under $300K) and my state offers $5000 also. My tax liability would exceed both incentives, so I would basically get a $12,500 discount

That suddenly makes a basic Tesla Model 3 in the high $20ks and within my budget.
I think the only other vehicle that qualifies for the full tax credit is the Chevy Bolt which breaks $30K before incentives and could be below $20k after incentives.

I'm not necessarily wanting an EV, but if feels that either a Tesla or a Bokt would be higher value for my money than ICE vehicles similarly priced?

Am I letting the tac inctives wag the dog?

Am I better off buying the car in late 2023 to get my incentives applied to my April taxes rather than buy in early 2934 but wait a year to get "refunded"? I heard dealers may be able to offer the discount on the spot in 2024 (but will they charge for the convenience)

Last edited:
Funnily though, after posting this I realized there are way more ICE vehicles under $30K than I had realized, I wondered if I typoed something last time I looked earlier this summer (maybe I typed $20K)

For example, a basic Subaru Corsstrek is around $26K and has 4WD (something I appreciate in my state with cold winters, which can also affect EV batteries)

A basic Honda civic is less than that.

So it seems the premise of my post is a bit premature, there probably ARE quality ICE vehicles in my budget, so unless I value a Tesla Model 3 more than a Subaru Crosstrek, the model 3 is not as obvious a choice as I thought.

Have you test driven any EV'S yet. I would recommend you do that as the one pedal driving experience can be fun. The EV smooth acceleration and quietness are pretty nice too. We love our Bolt EUV for around town. The only downside is road trips and slower charging speeds.

If you are looking for something similar in size with Gas engine and check out the Buick Encore GTX. Good discounts on them right now.

... Am I letting the tac inctives wag the dog? ...
Posssibly. Personally, having spent much of a career in tech, I am not an early adopter on much of anything. I think the jury is still out until the EV fleet gets some years and miles on it. Things like range anxiety in winter, maintenance availability and cost with no dealer network, and the various charger availability horror stories one hears are current deterrents for me. Nothing that can't or won't be fixed long term, but I'm happy to let the early adopters be the Guinea pigs. The EV zealots don't have enough incentive/aka bribe money for me to risk future misery.

Last edited:
.............. I am not an early adopter on much of anything. I think the jury is still out until the EV fleet gets some years and miles on it. Things like range anxiety in winter, maintenance availability and cost with no dealer network, and the various charger availability horror stories one hears are current deterrents for me. Nothing that can't or won't be fixed long term, but I'm happy to let the early adopters be the Guinea pigs. The EV zealots don't have enough incentive/aka bribe money for me to risk future misery.

Can you say new model first year teething problems?
Sure, I knew you could. :blush:

The EVs have come down in price that I would consider one as a commuter car if I had to drive to work everyday. Don't know about taking one on a road trip though.

About the other risks, it can be minimized if one can park the car outside, and if he does not live where it's cold and snowy in the winter.

Last edited:
Can you say new model first year teething problems?
Sure, I knew you could. :blush:
Well yes, but the situation is more complex than that. Teslas, for example, have an innovative streak and undoubtedly many of the design folks have not designed cars before. It could be things like bolts that can't be seen or touched after the car is completely assembled or suspension components that aren't strong enough to stand a couple of years of pothole pounding. It is said that FAA's flying regulations are written in blood. That's way too strong but guaranteed there will be some EV design revisions written in customers' and CFO tears.

Last edited:
That suddenly makes a basic Tesla Model 3 in the high $20ks and within my budget.

Last I looked, the basic Model 3 started at $40k before rebates.

If you want AWD then you would need the Model 3 Long Range would put you over your budget. A Crosstrek may be a better option but make sure to test drive it first. I am tall and could not fit reasonably behind the wheel. That was my first choice when I was car shopping around 18 months ago but went with a Kia Seltos instead. I would say either fork over the extra money upfront for a Tesla Model 3 or Y with AWD and enjoy the future reduced upkeep costs or go with the cheaper upfront cost of the Crosstrek.

Last I looked a couple days ago you could get a Model 3 for 29,120 after the 7500 federal tax credit. Then deduct any state and utility rebates.

Exactly. I thought I couldn't get a decent car from $25k which is why I thought the Tesla made so much sense, but it turns out there "plenty" if ICE alternative Ives around that price.

He gets a $12,500 rebate bring it down under $30K at least before options and tax.

Ah I misread that as the price before rebates.

A Subaru would get my vote in a cold, snowy winter environment.

Download the owner's manual(s) to get a flavor of the car.

We compared the 2023 Bolt to the 2023 Mazda3 Hatchback. The Bolt read like a science fair project. So we're going to look at the Mazda this fall (the 2024 Model is shipping).

We may reexamine the Bolt once the Ultium battery is fielded. The tax credit is a major plus.

_B

Download the owner's manual(s) to get a flavor of the car.

We compared the 2023 Bolt to the 2023 Mazda3 Hatchback. The Bolt read like a science fair project. So we're going to look at the Mazda this fall (the 2024 Model is shipping).

We may reexamine the Bolt once the Ultium battery is fielded. The tax credit is a major plus.

_B

Wondering what read like a science fair project to you?

I think Chevy did an excellent job on the 2022 Bolt refresh making it feel like a regular uncomplicated car. No giant I-pad stuck on the dash that controls everything. Buttons and switches where you would expect them. The user interface is very user friendly. We love the simplicity of its interior. :greetings10::greetings10:

The EVs have come down in price that I would consider one as a commuter car if I had to drive to work everyday.

If I were still working and driving 85 miles round trip every day, a Chevy Bolt or Hyundai Kona would be close to a no-brainer.

If I were still working and driving 85 miles round trip every day, a Chevy Bolt or Hyundai Kona would be close to a no-brainer.

Many years ago, I drove 100 miles round trip to work every day.

And in a car with 13 mpg. :facepalm:

Check out the Ford Maverick hybrid crew cap truck. 37 mpg as I recall but only tows 2,000 lbs.

The word is EVs are not that reliable these days (including Tesla), and the initial cost is still high. With exception of Bolt I guess. If I'm pressed to buy a car now, I'd look for hybrid from reliable manufacturer rather than pure EV.

Not counting my 1973 land Cruiser or my BMW Z4, we have two main cars. My wife drives a Lexus 450H and I drive a 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser

My wife tends to drive less than 30 miles a day when she drives. Sometimes up to 100, but once a year.

When we go on trips or even just someplace together, we take my gas guzzling Land Cruiser

Her next car will be an EV and AWD for the winter. We have solar and I switched out old AC units for efficient Heat pumps and the surplus in electricity would more than cover her driving. We haven't decided which EV as of yet. Hopefully the Tax Incentive list will grow

My next Vehicle will likely be the new Land Cruiser that gets 27 MPG or the Lexus version GX550. I go offroad for a hobby and also tow a trailer. I am a few years away from thinking about a new vehicle and maybe there will be big improvements that meet my needs.

I think its good for now to have one EV and one ICE vehicle (or Hybrid)

One daughter just bought an Ionic 5 and they love it. Her other vehicle is a Land Cruiser

The other daughter just bought a Tesla and they love it. Yup, her other vehicle is a Land Cruiser (Lexus version)

They are both in their 30's now. I taught them to drive offroading and to this day we still spend time on the trail together with their families. That is why we all have Land Cruisers.

Sorry, pictures are not EV related, but why it is good to have one non EV :) Of course I read the Rivian is pretty capable, it just can't tow without depleting charge fast

hmm - my daughters white Land Cruiser photo is rotated 90 deg. She was going down hill

Attachments

• Gamiviti.JPG
    Gamiviti.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02962.jpg
    DSC02962.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170505_135001.jpg
    20170505_135001.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 33
Not counting my 1973 land Cruiser or my BMW Z4, we have two main cars. My wife drives a Lexus 450H and I drive a 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser

My wife tends to drive less than 30 miles a day when she drives. Sometimes up to 100, but once a year.

When we go on trips or even just someplace together, we take my gas guzzling Land Cruiser

Her next car will be an EV and AWD for the winter. We have solar and I switched out old AC units for efficient Heat pumps and the surplus in electricity would more than cover her driving. We haven't decided which EV as of yet. Hopefully the Tax Incentive list will grow

My next Vehicle will likely be the new Land Cruiser that gets 27 MPG or the Lexus version GX550. I go offroad for a hobby and also tow a trailer. I am a few years away from thinking about a new vehicle and maybe there will be big improvements that meet my needs.

I think its good for now to have one EV and one ICE vehicle (or Hybrid)

One daughter just bought an Ionic 5 and they love it. Her other vehicle is a Land Cruiser

The other daughter just bought a Tesla and they love it. Yup, her other vehicle is a Land Cruiser (Lexus version)

They are both in their 30's now. I taught them to drive offroading and to this day we still spend time on the trail together with their families. That is why we all have Land Cruisers.

Sorry, pictures are not EV related, but why it is good to have one non EV :) Of course I read the Rivian is pretty capable, it just can't tow without depleting charge fast

hmm - my daughters white Land Cruiser photo is rotated 90 deg. She was going down hill
Cool pics as much as I would love to try something like that I would be afraid I would get stuck or run out of gas...

The Teslas are great vehicles designed by some very experienced designers.
That said, if you want AWD, the AWD Tesla Model 3 is pushing your budget.

AWD isn’t an option for the BOLT, but at a starting price of 15k (if you qualify for the rebates you mention) you may want to consider it.
Bolts won’t be made after December, so get it quick if you want one. GM will be bringing back the Bolt with a new design for the battery pack, but we don’t know when.

Back
Top Bottom