Awkward Wealth

Speaking of drunk driving I should post my mint julep recipe. It's a winner.

My DSO and I aren't retired quite yet, but we're those "millionaires next door", living in a modest, long-paid-off home, driving older cars, doing things ourselves whenever possible, etc. A few years ago we decided to increase our real estate holdings by buying a little get-away place while the housing market was down. We were able to pay cash for a great little place on a short sale.

One day we mentioned our second place to our neighbor, and she said, "Well, now you have two mortgages!" When my DSO politely informed her that everything was paid for, she gave us an incredulous look and clammed up. I got the feeling she thinks we both make minimum wage or something.

Living as she does in a bigger house than ours, hiring out her yard work and other routine maintenance, buying a new car every 5 or 6 years, and spending freely on new furniture, kitchen upgrades, and electronics, I suppose she can't imagine how anyone could own two places and be mortgage-free, especially the "poor" souls next door who can't even afford to hire a landscaper!

Living as she does in a bigger house than ours, hiring out her yard work and other routine maintenance, buying a new car every 5 or 6 years, and spending freely on new furniture, kitchen upgrades, and electronics, I suppose she can't imagine how anyone could own two places and be mortgage-free, especially the "poor" souls next door who can't even afford to hire a landscaper!

I like the idea of doing the spending your neighbor does and still being the millionaire next door! Yes, it's possible to have it both ways.......

You can also hire out people to pat you on the back.

Not sure that would fit the true spirit of frugal living and LBYM!

Although, I do remember one situation from years ago. I was in a job interview and the interviewer was a bit intimidating to a young guy out of work, with a new baby at home, and really needing the job. Suddenly my back itched, really itched! I wanted to rub my back against the chair. I wanted to reach under my suit jacket and scratch that spot more than you can imagine, but I was afraid I'd look awkward. I just suffered through it.

I probably would have paid for a good, hard series of pats on the back right about then!

I recall hearing of an interview where a cute student was just looking for a job. I wasn't there.

At one point, one of the interviewers lifted a cheek and farted righf there. How do you do?

She just rolled.

Yes, there has been a sea change in attitude about vehicle safety since when I was a kid in the 1980s. When I was little no one bothered with seat belts or car seats. I rode around in the back seat without a seat belt, and it wasn't unusual for people to have their infant on their lap.

You might enjoy this article about Col. John Paul Stapp, who lobbied hard for seatbelt usage and also was an all-around awesome person:

Ejection Site: Fastest Man on Earth- John Paul Stapp

He also coined Stapp’s Ironical Paradoxon: „The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.“

It's about drinking and driving and not wearing your seatbelt in an old car with no airbags, while on your way to the Piggly Wiggly to ask your out-of-work neighbor's wife where the fish eggs are :p

Paging Bob Dylan. This could be the plot for a new version of "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts."

A.

It's about drinking and driving and not wearing your seatbelt in an old car with no airbags, while on your way to the Piggly Wiggly to ask your out-of-work neighbor's wife where the fish eggs are :p

One of my neighbors put it this way:

"I am not going to drink $10 wine just so that my DIL will be able to drink $20 wine!"

I heard that if you play a country music song backwards, you get your truck back, your trailer back, your dog back, your Bible back, your significant other back, etc...

Not even close. We haven't discussed pickup trucks, jail time, beer, a lyin' SO, bars, or mothers.

Edit to add: Railroads

Don't forget shotguns and hound dogs.

Back
Top Bottom