Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think we face greater risks to our confidential info from our banks systems being hacked than from OneDrive being hacked. Everything on the bank's system is valuable so it is a much more lucrative target for hacking by an order of magnitude, as compared to OneDrive within which confidential info is mixed in with family photos, MP3s, personal correspondence, etc., yet is just as secure. My company recently has started keeping its proprietary intellectual property in Microsoft Azure.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think we face greater risks to our confidential info from our banks systems being hacked than from OneDrive being hacked. Everything on the bank's system is valuable so it is a much more lucrative target for hacking by an order of magnitude, as compared to OneDrive within which confidential info is mixed in with family photos, MP3s, personal correspondence, etc., yet is just as secure. My company recently has started keeping its proprietary intellectual property in Microsoft Azure.
+1

Yes. Most everyone's data is more important to the owner than it is to others.
Well, exceptions might be account numbers to accounts from which cash can be extracted, passwords, PINs, etc. -- those and the like need special handling.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #43

What I'm doing at the moment is when I scan a financial document I'm using the 'scan to printer' selection on the scanner. I then print it to a Microsoft OneNote file located on OneDrive. Since OneNote is searchable, it is more useful than just saving single pdfs. Also, since I can make different sections in OneNote, I have a section for each tax year, my HSA, random receipts, home maintenance, etc.

One day I will run out of free space on OneDrive, so I will have to consider the options then. I could find all the different vendors that provide some free space and put things in different places, or pay for more space, or I don't know.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #44

So far, my credit union is not charging me for mailed paper statements. I do pretty much all of my transactions online, once in awhile I actually go inside the building or use the ATM, but mostly it's online. I still like getting the paper statements. Wife isn't online as much as I am, and I feel like if something happened to me, she would be happier to get the statements in the mail.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #45

They keep increasing the amount of free space on OneDrive faster than I use it up.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
What I'm doing at the moment is when I scan a financial document I'm using the 'scan to printer' selection on the scanner. I then print it to a Microsoft OneNote file located on OneDrive. Since OneNote is searchable, it is more useful than just saving single pdfs. Also, since I can make different sections in OneNote, I have a section for each tax year, my HSA, random receipts, home maintenance, etc.

One day I will run out of free space on OneDrive, so I will have to consider the options then. I could find all the different vendors that provide some free space and put things in different places, or pay for more space, or I don't know.
That is nice. My scanner (HP printer) doesn't have that function. Is there some other way to bring a PDF into OneNote?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
But now, I have all this paper, some of it 40 years old, and I need to get rid of it.
I had that problem, but on a smaller scale.

I discovered 3 shoe boxes of cancelled checks on a closet shelf several years ago. Back in the 70's when DW and I were setting up our household, we put her in charge of balancing the check book and storing the cancelled checks. She did a good job. Nothing for me to worry about. If on rare occasion I needed to know if/when something was paid, the check register always had the info.

I really didn't keep track of the fact she was carefully bundling and storing the cancelled checks without a plan of purging them after some period of time. When I stumbled across them, there were thousands covering almost 40 years!

I looked through some and there were lots and lots of memories! Instead of sitting in front of the shredder, I decided that since it was winter I'd just slowly add them to the woodstove after fanning through a small stack per evening looking for interesting bits of our history. It was great fun! I'd grab a bundle of checks and, usually while watching TV or listening to music, fan through them and find examples that were fun or at least interesting to discuss and recall the times.......

Some of the laughs/memories we got involved cancelled checks that reminded us of:

Paying of DW's college loans (which were substantial, more than her first year's income!)
Paying for our first new car, a 1970 VW bug, on a time payment plan.
Bailing a college buddy out of jail after a DUI incident.
Buying stock in our local community bank when it was still a house trailer on a gravel parking lot in about 1975. (That panned out well!)
Making mortgage payments.
Paying for grad school.
Paying for DS's college.
Funding a trust for our special needs grandson.
Buying DS and DIL new cars. (Not at the same time.....)
Etc. Etc.

Lotsa memories. Lotsa discussions. Getting everything glanced over and burned took 4 or 5 evenings and 4 or 5 bottles of wine. I wouldn't recommend saving paperwork like this, but as long as we did, we made the best out of getting rid of it.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Lotsa memories. Lotsa discussions. Getting everything glanced over and burned took 4 or 5 evenings and 4 or 5 bottles of wine. I wouldn't recommend saving paperwork like this, but as long as we did, we made the best out of getting rid of it.
And a lot better plan than sitting in front of the shredder until it starts to smoke.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
That is nice. My scanner (HP printer) doesn't have that function. Is there some other way to bring a PDF into OneNote?
When OneNote is installed it should set itself up as a printer driver. Open the .pdf and when printing use 'print to onenote'.

I have an HP scanner also. The 'scan to printer' feature is probably a software function, so I'm wondering if there is an update to the software on the HP web page?