Becoming LESS Frugal

shiny

Full time employment: Posting here.
There is a topic in "other topics" about becoming more frugal, which appears to mostly happen when you use less razor blades - it really got me thinking about my money spending habits (DH's as well) and my anxiety about it.

I've always been frugal - I still am mostly because I love the earth and don't like to fill it up with garbage, etc. but although I still LBYM, our means have gone up and I am spending more. Adapting to this, while easy intellectually, is causing some anxious feelings. Perhaps its due to the fact that we are in the last stages of getting our ducks in a row for DH to quit in a few months, I don't know.

An example of this is - I don't use razor blades anymore because I had all the hair lasered off my legs. I could have provided the whole forum with a lifetime of razorblades with the money it cost to do that, but alas, I thought "why not" life's to short to shave my legs all the time. (in my anxious moments I think, well at least I won't have hairy legs whem I'm living in a van down by the river!!)

Anyone else grappling with this admittedly neurotic problem? Maybe I should have posted this in the health issues forum, tee hee.

Martha said:
I have to ask an indelicate question. What about the armpits?

Razorblades no longer required ;).

shiny said:
Anyone else grappling with this admittedly neurotic problem? Maybe I should have posted this in the health issues forum, tee hee.
I'm planning to have this done. I hate shaving. I tried the so-called IPL "laser" but its not a real laser and and I wasted the money spent because the results were so poor <grumble>. I need to go to a clinic that uses real lasers. What laser did they use on you? (I realize that different types of laser are used for different skin colors, but just curious what you got).

Some members of this forum get their house and cars fixed up before retiring. I think of it like that -- getting me fixed up before retirement. Maybe we need a new forum -- "Beauty and Early Retirement" :)

Oops, I did not transition very well in my original post - I thought my neurotic problem was my anxiety about spending more money, but I'm not surprised to find that I have more than one problem - a body hair phobia of some kind! :D

Martha said:
Did it hurt :confused:

A little, some places more than others. (I sent Martha a PM about this earlier, but thought others might want to know)

Linney said:
What laser did they use on you? (I realize that different types of laser are used for different skin colors, but just curious what you got).

The laser was called a "Lightsheer Diode laser" I think it works best on dark hair (it doesn't do blondes or grays)

Linney said:
Maybe we need a new forum -- "Beauty and Early Retirement" :)

Maybe Rich will give us a sub-category under Health!

Anyway, reading about the guy's frugal use of razors just made me think of this one example of my increased spending over the last few years.

I always think of myself as a simple-living, person, but when I realize how much more I spend now than in the past I feel like a bit of a fraud on that account.

First of all, I'm not frugal just to be frugal!

IMO - as long as you LBYM, then that is good enough! Sure I prefer to get more for my money, but I'll often buy the better quality item for more $$$ if I can afford it.

For me it's all about what you get for what you spend (and about optimizing quality of life), not about minimizing costs as much as possible. It's more about making wise choices based on clear priorities.

I probably save more money by NOT accumulating a bunch of "stuff" than anything. We finally learned that money spend on consumables (food, meals, wine, travel, experiences) brings us the most pleasure. Stuff can be expensive and fleeting and end up costing time, trouble and space in the long run. So we're very careful about accumulating stuff.

Audrey

I've noticed a loosening of the purse strings lately, since this looks like it will be a bountiful year. Nothing big, just a bit here, a bit there.

After enjoying the first 18 months of FIRE, experiencing first hand what it costs to live in retirement and successfully transitioning from COBRA to private health insurance...we're beginning to loosen up some on the spending. For example, DW has been eying a fancy computerized embroidery machine for a couple of years and in keeping with the Nords and C-T "what are you saving it for?" school of thinking, Santa is going to leave it under the tree for her.

audreyh1 said:
First of all, I'm not frugal just to be frugal!

IMO - as long as you LBYM, then that is good enough! Sure I prefer to get more for my money, but I'll often buy the better quality item for more $$$ if I can afford it.

For me it's all about what you get for what you spend (and about optimizing quality of life), not about minimizing costs as much as possible. It's more about making wise choices based on clear priorities.

I probably save more money by NOT accumulating a bunch of "stuff" than anything. We finally learned that money spend on consumables (food, meals, wine, travel, experiences) brings us the most pleasure. Stuff can be expensive and fleeting and end up costing time, trouble and space in the long run. So we're very careful about accumulating stuff.

Audrey

I have found three guidelines with regards to "stuff"

1. You shouldn't own anything that you don't know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

2. If it is shoddy, you will quickly forget how little it cost.

3. Always get the right tool for the job.

Adhering to these rules means I have the stuff that I need, but only the stuff that I need and no useless junk that simply occupies space.

Hi Shinny

Dont forget to give me the name of that river - i will be in the van next door to you. Its best to have good neighbours ! :D

tryan said:
Agree with most of it (not sure my teenager will have a car thou).
Well, they're going to be driving something and it'll probably be the parent's ride if it's not theirs.

In general I'm beginning to think that it's better to let your kids practice their skills with the benefit of your scolding & discipline thoughtful tutelage before they leave the nest to make their own mistakes in the big cruel heartless world. It seems to be working for rock & roll and finances (handling budgets, checking accounts, & credit cards) and it'll probably work for driving. But I haven't made up my mind yet about alcohol, drugs, & sex...

"The exterior doesn't need to look like much. After a few fender benders, it won't look like much anyway. But the interior should do its best to keep your progeny alive"... to which I'd add "despite their best efforts to the contrary."

Here's a picture of me having my leg hair removed with a laser:

laser.jpg

TromboneAl said:
Here's a picture of me having my leg hair removed with a laser:

Looks to me like you are about to get your pubic hair removed.
But what do I know about cosmetic surgery.

shiny said:
Oops, I did not transition very well in my original post - I thought my neurotic problem was my anxiety about spending more money, but I'm not surprised to find that I have more than one problem - a body hair phobia of some kind! :D
Still appreciated the answers

I'm in the final few years to RE and I know I have a tough time spending money on anything. Those of us on the quest for FIRE are very good savers and conversely we can have real trouble letting go and spending some of our hard earned money. The saving habit is so strongly engrained that I really have to think it through when I purchase any non-necessities --- why do I want this? will I get enough value for the money spent? As long as I can strike a balance I think this approach is a good one. The timeout needed to answer these questions will invariably stop me from making purchases that I shouldn't. And answering the questions will eliminate any guilt for the times when I do decide to spend money because I understand how this purchase will address my wants. I must be doing at least okay because my husband and I just completed the purchase of an RV last week, a dream we've had for some time but finally decided to make real.

Personally, I think laser hair removal is a good value too :) Especially the "bikini area treatment" (much more delicate a phrase for what bpp called a "public hair removal" )

Linney said:
Personally, I think laser hair removal is a good value too :) Especially the "bikini area treatment" (much more delicate a phrase for what bpp called a "public hair removal" )

No, it's really "private hair removal". It's done in private to one's privates. :D

On a more serious note, I agree with audreyh1's view about trying not to be frugal just for the sake of saving money all the time. We all decide on what's important to us and we spend on it and try to get good value on those expenditures, while we don't spend too much on what we feel is less important.

shiny,

I ran a cosmetic laser business for 12 years. That enabled us to ER in '05. Laser hair removal was a big part of it.

BUM said:
I ran a cosmetic laser business for 12 years. That enabled us to ER in '05. Laser hair removal was a big part of it.

You must have gotten in on the technology really early - good for you!

Back
Top Bottom