Best way to divert home sale proceeds to my young kids...

Lol... Yes. I calculate that I would hardly touch the nest egg ($1.5M). We have 4 pensions kicking in after retirement (2 military retirements ($7,000 per month combined) plus 2 social security ($6,500 per month combined). Plus the bull market...

How do 2 people who retire in their early 40's get $6,500 combined in SS? Even if both of you wait until 70, don't you have a lot of 0's averaged into your top 35 earning years?

The challenge is not just how you raise them - it is how much they get influenced by peers, which at 18 is going to be a tremendous challenge. Once others find out about it can be tough to fend them off. As an example, look at the young athletes who get big, even moderate money in their late teens or early 20s, and the financial failure rate that occurs.

I do not much about them, but if you really want to leave them a windfall maybe a trust that starts at a particular age and pays out money periodically would be a better bet than providing access to a lump sum.
+1
I love my son's lol I really do but i was amazed at how much common sense went out the window when their dad died leaving them some cash. Lol I said it before younger son who was a smart college kid immediately had vision of installing a pole in the living room for his poor misunderstood friend "cinnamon ". Who really is a ballerina [emoji2] have to admire the kid's wanting to help those less fortunate.

So basically what i did was set up a trust with a boat load of stipulations. Right now they are 22 and 24. I remind them that they are in college loan free. One will go to law school loan free. They drive cars note free. They have to work for any thing else and until they are 35 (yep i said 35) I'm still in control. Personally I think they've got it good.
They are great kids but I also think they are pretty normal. They have pulled stunts that have left me shaking my head.
Speak with an estate attorney there are plenty of options to gift kids. Not sure if they are all tax free

Last edited:
Agreed... Thank you for your comment. Yes. I am really hoping that I don't let them down and raise kids that would not appreciate such a gift. My work is cut out for me.

Honestly, the two other options are donate to charity or for us to spend like crazy in our golden years. I would prefer to give it to the kids. When I learned that I was going to be a father, my wish was to give them more than I had growing up. My mother was a single parent, raised 3 kids, and we had almost nothing. There was hard times when I was a kid. That taught me to be frugal. Frugal to a point where I just got a cell phone. :cool: Even now, when we have almost $2M in assets, I still clip coupons and use groupon.

So, just trying to do the correct estate planning.

Revisiting this for a moment: My parents had nothing when I was born. They worked hard, scrimped and saved and made certain that (with us also working and saving) us kids could get a good education. We appreciated it because it cost US as well as mom and dad. When time came for our kids to go to college, we did help, but made sure it was "hard" on the kids as well. They had to do their part. Buying into the process made them stronger and they also appreciated what they had when they were finished. What we have done to see that "they have more than we did" is to help with things like student loans and house down payments - once we have seen how hard they are willing to work for what they want. They have never asked for help, so we feel really good about offering it because we know what the effect is on their lives.

If I'm making a point, it is that I understand being "without" and how that affects us in relation to the next generation. BUT making it too easy on kids is no gift IMO. Let them struggle, help a little as you see them needing a little help. Then later, you can step in when they are old enough to appreciate it and also use it wisely.

If all this means that you pay a little more taxes in the mean time, so be it (heh, heh, Uncle Sam needs the money!) Sure, fund the 529s up to a point, but don't get carried away. Keep your "powder" dry for when they need it and go from there.

I rarely give this much specific advice. I never think I have enough experience or knowledge to do so. But in this case, I think I know "where you live" so to speak.

Still, this is a decision that only you can make and nothing anyone says is Gospel. You'll still be responsible (along with your kids) for the outcome(s). So eventually, you'll just have to go with your gut because YMMV.

Revisiting this for a moment: My parents had nothing when I was born. They worked hard, scrimped and saved and made certain that (with us also working and saving) us kids could get a good education. We appreciated it because it cost US as well as mom and dad. When time came for our kids to go to college, we did help, but made sure it was "hard" on the kids as well. They had to do their part. Buying into the process made them stronger and they also appreciated what they had when they were finished. What we have done to see that "they have more than we did" is to help with things like student loans and house down payments - once we have seen how hard they are willing to work for what they want. They have never asked for help, so we feel really good about offering it because we know what the effect is on their lives.

If I'm making a point, it is that I understand being "without" and how that affects us in relation to the next generation. BUT making it too easy on kids is no gift IMO. Let them struggle, help a little as you see them needing a little help. Then later, you can step in when they are old enough to appreciate it and also use it wisely.

If all this means that you pay a little more taxes in the mean time, so be it (heh, heh, Uncle Sam needs the money!) Sure, fund the 529s up to a point, but don't get carried away. Keep your "powder" dry for when they need it and go from there.

I rarely give this much specific advice. I never think I have enough experience or knowledge to do so. But in this case, I think I know "where you live" so to speak.

Still, this is a decision that only you can make and nothing anyone says is Gospel. You'll still be responsible (along with your kids) for the outcome(s). So eventually, you'll just have to go with your gut because YMMV.

That is great advice. Money to people who are not ready for it, is a curse. Look at lottery winners to see just how often that much money destroys peoples lives.

I look at it like the first "Last Man Standing", when his daughter asks for money for the mall, and he says that the 'starbucks' is hiring. She was like "OMG dad are we poor?" His answer... "Nope, your mom and I are doing great! You are poor!"

I've always told my kids that my wife and I plan to be spending that last penny as we keel over dead. They had to work their way through college with very little help from us. They have to work, and move out on their own, pay their own bills, buy their own car, their own insurance, etc etc. We help here and there but make sure its the right kind of help. But by them knowing they have to make it on their own, they are working harder and learning just how hard that is. When we finally do pass on, if there is something left, we hope to make sure its a blessing to them and not a curse.

Back
Top Bottom