Join Early Retirement Today

Bob Brinker’s Final Broadcast
Old 09-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bob Brinker’s Final Broadcast

Not confirmed yet, but today is reported to be the final broadcast of Bob Brinker’s Moneytalk radio show. His broadcast started in 1987. I know he’s not very popular on this forum, but there are a few fans here. His advice has been a great help to me and I just re-subscribed to his newsletter after a long lapse. Don’t know what’ll happen with that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bob Brinker, John Bogle, Luis Rukeyser, and Andrew Tobias are the four guys to whom I own my successful retirement. Thanks to them I learned about asset allocation, low cost mutual funds, how to measure the performance of the funds I was looking at, not panicking in the face of the Bear, and how to avoid Shark Attacks.

Shark Attacks!! Thanks Bob for giving me the information I needed to avoid things like commodities, limited partnerships, short selling, universal life, etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

Can't say I really remember him. I followed Bogle and Rukeyser however and did quite well.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #4

Confirmed. Last live broadcast.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I subscribe to his podcast and got the notice it was being cancelled after today, so I am anxious to listen tomorrow. I owe a lot to Bob's good advice and I do hope he continues his newsletter, and also that all is well with him.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

I listened to him. He was on the local radio on Saturday early afternoons. As I was working it was nice to listen. I was a noob and it helped me.

I always he would end on the anniversary of his 1st show. SuperBowl Sunday
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I followed Brinker's newsletter advice and moved my retirement savings to a guaranteed fund in 2000 and then in early 2003 back to 100% stocks. The results made it possible to enter the land of 'Critical Mass' and FIRE in 2008...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

He said the newsletter would continue. No evidence of a health issue.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Good to hear, thank you.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #10

He will be missed by me.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not listened to his radio program for years, very little info. I do get his news letter and it has helped me hold on through some troubled times. His news letter is always bullish and usually right. Been waiting 15 years for a sell signal.

He did miss the 2008 drop.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #12

Before this I never heard of him
Old 10-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post

He did miss the 2008 drop.
This is exactly why I did not renew my subscription with him. He just kept saying "buy, buy, buy" many months before the crash. 'Marketimer' was not a good name for that newsletter.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I listened in the 90's, took the newsletter for a while.

I learned/confirmed a lot from him. Low cost index funds, "shark attacks", diversification. And he rarely ever actually did much market timing, despite the name.

After a while, it was all repetitive, I was totally in the buy/hold camp, but I would tune in once in a while if I was in the car.

I appreciate what I learned from him.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to listen to Brinker on the radio in the late 80's and he had two main themes -- buy Treasuries and buy MSFT. Both turned out to be good suggestions and of course I did neither. Still got to where I needed to but that would have made things alot quicker.
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Not confirmed yet, but today is reported to be the final broadcast of Bob Brinker’s Moneytalk radio show. His broadcast started in 1987. I know he’s not very popular on this forum, but there are a few fans here. His advice has been a great help to me and I just re-subscribed to his newsletter after a long lapse. Don’t know what’ll happen with that.
Oh no, I love him

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...talk-to-an-end

I think his influence was the most significant in my critical mass concept learning ...

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Bob Brinker’s MoneyTalk retirement
Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Bob Brinker’s MoneyTalk retirement

During last Sunday’s show Bob said he’d make an announcement at the end of the show. I figured it might be and it was... That was his last show. He thanked a number of people, including the woman that offered him the opportunity to do the first show in New York.

I’ve been listening to Bob for 25 years and it’s a little sad to know there’ll be no more MoneyTalk live, ever again. While I’d already discovered no-load mutual funds before I started listening, his show reinforced the basics for reaching “the land of critical mass.” He admonished listeners to use broadly diverfied, no-load, low cost mutual funds (see www.fifolio.com), high deductible auto insurance, umbrella insurance (“hire” the insurance company’s lawyers) and term life insurance. And to always be on the lookout for the “sharks.” “Let them take a bite out of someone else’s wallet!”

Bob said he’d be writing some books and continue to produce his newsletter Bob Brinker’s Market Timer. Best wishes Bob on behalf of myself and all the listeners that have benefited from hearing your show. Your guidance will be misssed.
JohnHauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #18

I am really going to miss Bob! He had a big impact on our financial success and I listened to his whole show every week. It was one of my ways to stay up on investments. I still look forward to getting the newsletter.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #19

I still miss Bruce Williams, who I listened to at night going to work on midnight shift, or after afternoon shift on Indy's WOWO.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I still miss Bruce Williams, who I listened to at night going to work on midnight shift, or after afternoon shift on Indy's WOWO.
LPL...me too. Bruce & I drove together nights as I was starting my business. I had a night driving job, then worked during the day. I learned a lot from Bruce. IIRC I sent his agent a note to thank BW

Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote