Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it's my ultimate hope that eventually people will stop caring who I am and just consider the ideas and concepts objectively and critically for what they are and apply them to their own situations if they so desire and otherwise just let it be.

I think this is a general problem with our culture. If someone comes up with a concept that can't be expressed in a soundbite the media will simply bring in the person and consider the person instead: "Does he look like someone I could have a beer with?" (If yes, his ideas are probably good.) The way of dumbing down critical thinking and objectivity is destructive. Anyone who thinks like that gives up a lot of democratic/agency/deliberate control. [See Jerry Mander's book for more on this.]

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #42

I think being honest about where you are in life is what makes blogs compelling to read.
The changes that have taken place in people's lives as I've followed their blogs, even when those changes have taken them away from the attitudes and activities that caused my initial interest, are still compelling.
I'm thinking here of a couple of travel blogs, including Nomadic Matt's post: This is Where This Journey Ends | Nomadic Matt's Travel Site

And our own frequent posters who changed up from traveling in an RV around the US to moving on to other pastures on foot (love the Lake Atilan picture, btw).
Everywhere Once | Independent Travel - Everywhere, Everyway

But it would seem that the real story is where next, jacob? I think that is what your readers are most interested in hearing about.
And that is the real story for all of us. What next, indeed?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
But it would seem that the real story is where next, jacob? I think that is what your readers are most interested in hearing about.

And that is the real story for all of us. What next, indeed?
+1 for all of us, indeed!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1 for all of us, indeed!
+2. How you live the anti-consumerism, extremely frugal life while actually making a good income is to me just as interesting as how you lived the ERE life before.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes

+2. How you live the anti-consumerism, extremely frugal life while actually making a good income is to me just as interesting as how you lived the ERE life before.
+3.

Carry on, Jacob. No longer a spokesperson, but just a friend.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am finding this thread a bit depressing as there is too much negative contrast between the different ways of thinking about work and retirement. Not all posts are like this, thankfully. Or maybe I'm reading a bit too fast.

At 64 I just want to feel good about things in retirement. You can work, be ER'd, be extremely frugal, spend a lot and enjoy your freedom, or be traveling for months on end. It's all OK.

Taking off for a run in the park now ...
Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I am finding this thread a bit depressing as there is too much negative contrast between the different ways of thinking about work and retirement. Not all posts are like this, thankfully. Or maybe I'm reading a bit too fast.

At 64 I just want to feel good about things in retirement. You can work, be ER'd, be extremely frugal, spend a lot and enjoy your freedom, or be traveling for months on end. It's all OK.

Taking off for a run in the park now ...
No, if you are not living life my way you are wrong.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, for charities, I would recommend the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), the Long-Now Foundation and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (WHOI).

Disclaimer: still working on my bidding for bridge, and my play isn't what it should be, and I've never earned any master's points or played with Warren, but I tutored his niece in math when I was in high school.