Havila Norwegian Coastal Cruise

PaunchyPirate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just booked a cruise on the Havila Voyages ship named MS Havila Pollux for 11 nights. This cruise visits 34 ports over 12 days up and down the length of Norway. In addition to housing cruisers, the ship serves as a cargo transport as well as a way for Norwegians to move between the dispersed coastal communities. Some of the stops are as short as 10 minutes and they continue through the night.

Cruise and flights are booked. I still need to research and book some excursions for some of the ports as well as hotels. I also will be taking the train round trip from Oslo to Bergen and back, which should, in itself, be quite enjoyable.

This cruise line is a recent entry into a market previously dominated by Hurtigruten.

If anyone has any advice on either Havila or Hurtigruten voyages feel free to chime in. I’m already aware of CruiseCritic for info. I am a frequent reader on that forum.

Here’s the trip:

https://www.havilavoyages.com/voyages/round-voyage-bergen-kirkenes-bergen

We did the Hurtigruten coastal cruise in 2019 and loved everything about it. Our trip was in March so we could see the Northern Lights, but I imagine it would be at least as much fun in warmer weather. Some of the stops are pretty short, so be ready to get out and see what you can as soon as they get the gangplank down.

In the (early) summer you can enjoy the Midnight Sun.

We did the Hurtigruten coastal cruise in 2019 and loved everything about it. Our trip was in March so we could see the Northern Lights, but I imagine it would be at least as much fun in warmer weather. Some of the stops are pretty short, so be ready to get out and see what you can as soon as they get the gangplank down.

I'm very excited about the trip. I love the uniqueness of it. How cold/wintery was your March trip? Mine starts April 21. I'm assuming (and hoping) there will still be snow on some of the higher elevations and possibly even at the more northern latitudes.

...Our trip was in March so we could see the Northern Lights...

I've been looking for a Northern Lights trip. Hadn't really thought about a cruise. I thought those only went far enough North during summer. I'll have to look into that. We did do a SE Alaskan cruise in the fall, but no aurora that trip, unfortunately.

I've been looking for a Northern Lights trip. Hadn't really thought about a cruise. I thought those only went far enough North during summer. I'll have to look into that. We did do a SE Alaskan cruise in the fall, but no aurora that trip, unfortunately.

Definitely check out both Havila and Hurtigruten. Their ships run year round all the way up to the northernmost portion of Norway. It's a unique type of cruising, for sure. So be sure you buy into the way it works. It's not your typical cruise.

I'm very excited about the trip. I love the uniqueness of it. How cold/wintery was your March trip? Mine starts April 21. I'm assuming (and hoping) there will still be snow on some of the higher elevations and possibly even at the more northern latitudes.

Our trip was in early March, so there was still lots of snow on the ground. Your normal down jacket is fine, but you'll also want earmuffs and gloves. It is Norway, after all! :LOL:

I can't say enough good about how Hurtigruten handles everything -- they have been doing this for so long.

Hurtigruten offers a guarantee that you'll see the NL, and if you don't they will give you another trip free. I don't remember the inclusive dates, but you can look that up on the site. We saw them almost every night on our trip, and the nights are long at those latitudes. Consider that the southernmost port (Bergen) is still north of Anchorage.

Sounds exciting, let us know the good & bad when you return.

Did you book an inside room ?

I've told DW, and joked with her, she could have kippers for breakfast :LOL:

Sounds exciting, let us know the good & bad when you return.

Did you book an inside room ?

I've told DW, and joked with her, she could have kippers for breakfast :LOL:

I booked a cabin that has a fairly large window. It’s called a Seaview Superior Double. Designed for 2 people, but I’m going solo.

I don’t eat seafood or fish at all! And I’m also not all that adventurous and eating reindeer and such might or might not happen. I may lose a few pounds on this trip. If I’m lucky.

I booked a cabin that has a fairly large window. It’s called a Seaview Superior Double. Designed for 2 people, but I’m going solo.

I don’t eat seafood or fish at all! And I’m also not all that adventurous and eating reindeer and such might or might not happen. I may lose a few pounds on this trip. If I’m lucky.

Ren (reindeer) is excellent! Something you might consider.

I noticed they don't have any balcony cabins available on those ships. It didn't take me long to figure out why. I guess I'd have to book one with the large windows, but they're not cheap!

I noticed they don't have any balcony cabins available on those ships. It didn't take me long to figure out why. I guess I'd have to book one with the large windows, but they're not cheap!

On the Hurtigruten, we had a smaller window, but spent almost no time in the cabin except to sleep. The public lounge areas were very nice and comfortable, and of course with huge windows.

On the Havila ships, the suites have balconies. But also, not cheap. And there aren't many of them on each ship. The Lighthouse Suites also have a jacuzzi on the balcony. There's your Blow-That-Dough moment.

The trip is now fully booked.

Flights from Pittsburgh to London to Oslo on American Airlines and British Airways. I purchased 20,000 miles for $610 to add to what I already had. This plus $127 gave me Premium Economy seats over and back. For some reason, it also put in me in business class on the BA return flight from Oslo to London. And First class from Philadelphia back to Pittsburgh. So $737 for round trip tickets to Oslo and back in Premium Economy seats. I can live with that.

I'll spend 2 nights in Oslo doing some exploration. I've been there for a day previously on a cruise stop. So, I'll have to see what I want to do once I get there. A lot will depend on weather.

Then I take the train for about 6 hours across the country to Norway's second city, Bergen. They say the scenery on this trip is wonderful. Again, I've seen part of this terrain from a cruise stop at Flam, but I look forward to seeing it again. Especially in the Spring.

I have 2 nights in Bergen to explore. I've also been here previously on a cruise stop.

Then I board the Havila Pollux and begin the 11-night transit on the Coastal Express journey.

I have booked four ship excursions:

Alesund - Winter Cruise to Geiranger - a 6-hour small boat ride up the fjord to Geiranger and back with some sightseeing by bus upon arrival. I've done this fjord on the previous cruise, but you can never have too many Norwegian fjords, in my opinion.

Tromso - The Arctic Capital - this is a short bus trip around the area and a ride up to a mountain top on a gondola.

Honningsvag - The North Cape Plateau - this is an excursion that virtually everyone takes. It's a bus trip to the northernmost point in Europe. Well, that's how it's marketed. But from what I read, the actual northernmost point is one peninsula away. But you can see that point from the marketed point. There's a statue of sort that everyone has to get their picture taken with to prove you were there.

Kirkenes - The Russian Border - this is a trip over to the nearby Russian border, a stop at a WWII underground bunker facility and museum.

Other than these paid excursions, I will be setting out on foot in the other ports that are more than a few minutes stop. Trondheim, for example, I will have 3 hours to explore. I actually plan on mimicking a ship excursion walking tour. I will try to not follow them and eavesdrop on their guide. :)

Once I return to Bergen, I will stay another night (so some additional sightseeing time) before taking the train back to Oslo. Then I have one final night in Oslo again before flying back to the USA on the next day.

This has been a fun trip to pull together. I booked it all in the last 5 days.

I leave the US on April 17th and I will provide a trip report on this thread when I get back home in early May.

The trip is now fully booked.

Should be a fun trip. It's clear you've done your research.
In Oslo a fun place to eat is a great brewpub called Amundsen Bryggeri & Spiseri. It's right on the main drag, you can't miss it. The Munch museum is open again, so that could be worth a visit. The Akershus Fortress is kind of interesting to walk around. Alas, the Viking Ship Museum is closed for renovation.

I like the train ride between Oslo and Bergen very much, I've done it several times. Bergen is a great city and the fish market is phenomenal.
Don't miss the marvelous brewpub (Ølhallen) in Tromso, it was the northernmost one in the world until they opened one in Svalbard. They have about 100 different beers on tap from all over.

Should be a fun trip. It's clear you've done your research.
In Oslo a fun place to eat is a great brewpub called Amundsen Bryggeri & Spiseri. It's right on the main drag, you can't miss it. The Munch museum is open again, so that could be worth a visit. The Akershus Fortress is kind of interesting to walk around. Alas, the Viking Ship Museum is closed for renovation.

I like the train ride between Oslo and Bergen very much, I've done it several times. Bergen is a great city and the fish market is phenomenal.
Don't miss the marvelous brewpub (Ølhallen) in Tromso, it was the northernmost one in the world until they opened one in Svalbard. They have about 100 different beers on tap from all over.

Thank you for the excellent tips. I have added the brewpubs to my notes. I have already been to the Viking Ship Museum, so I'm good there. But I did not get to the Fortress or the Munch museum previously. So I'll add them to my notes as well.

Back
Top Bottom