Brexit revote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Europe has some hard issues facing them. Blaming the EU is easy. I'm skeptical that their problems will be solved by leaving/breaking-up the EU.

Personally, I feel for the UK. I think a lot of their citizens are going to have a harder time going forward. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scotland, and maybe Northern Ireland, end up leaving the UK. This is definitely going to take some time to work through.

Northern Ireland fought a war for 40 years to leave the UK, I kind of doubt the UK will allow it now. Although if it did happen I bet my grandfather would jump from his grave and do a jig.:dance:

Northern Ireland fought a war for 40 years to leave the UK, I kind of doubt the UK will allow it now. Although if it did happen I bet my grandfather would jump from his grave and do a jig.:dance:

Maybe. But now maybe they have more justification than before?

I know very little about Northern Ireland. But I know that Scotland had recently tried for independence and knowing that a majority wanted to stay in the EU, it seems their justification for independence has increased. Maybe Northern Ireland isn't far behind?

Ironically, the implementation of Lisbon treaty itself was delayed by a revote. The terms of the treaty required changes to the Irish constitution, which mandated a referendum. The Irish people rejected the treaty in the 2008 referendum. A revised treaty was ratified in a second referendum in 2009.

Last edited:
Northern Ireland fought a war for 40 years to leave the UK, I kind of doubt the UK will allow it now.

A lot has changed in the past two decades, with 20 years of the peace process. Relations between the Republic of Ireland and the UK are now extremely cordial and collaborative. Brexit means that the UK will in future have a land border with the EU on the island of Ireland. That will have to be a hard border, which will be disastrous for trade, tourism and the economy. There is a risk that old animosities will be stirred up again. I'm quite sure that Ireland and the UK will be working together to mitigate that risk. They may have to think outside the box.

OMG, we are planning to visit Texas next year, will we need a passport by then, or will just our new stetsons and shiny boots do? We are already practicing our two-step and Texas drawl. :cool:

Depending on where you plan to go you may have to have your passport, we've had to produce ours several times while near to the Mexican border. Last year we drove to California on I-10 and the whole of I-10 was directed onto a border control post to check passports. We were on our way eventually to Canada so did have our US passports with us.

We are living in a part of England that voted 71% to leave and the decision was mostly economic, a big steel works closed earlier this year (the last on Teesside) with a big loss of jobs in an area that was already depressed. There is little fear about stock market losses or an economic downturn as they feel they are already in one.

At times like this it is best to keep a stiff upper lip and be optimistic, when my wife and I were born in the 50's the UK was still on rations from WW2.

A primarily non-economic perspective from Calcutta born, Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Western Ontario, Salim Mansur:

Articles: Brexit and Multiculturalism

".......who remember what Britain was once like not too long ago as society and culture that open immigration policy severely, if not mortally, has undermined, decided that to save what remained of their island kingdom they needed to regain their full political sovereignty instead of losing more of it to the bureaucrats of the EU in Brussels."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom