Cable Company Bait and Switch

I think it comes down to a more simple decision tree than you have....

The first thing is what other options do you have that might be as good for a price cheaper than the $117.... if the answer is NONE... you just suck it up and keep what you got...

If the answer is there is something.... then you have to decide if it is worth the trouble of doing it for $300 per year....

As far as the bill, I would just tell them that since they breached the 'contract' (which BTW is not a contract, just a proposal... which we know can be changed) you only plan to pay for the month of service you used and not the install fee since it was their fault... I have ignored bills before when they were wrong... I also ignore the calls.... IF I ever do talk to them I just tell them I am happy to have a judge determine if I am right or they are right...

I read a couple of other threads this evening on the topic of cutting cable. One still needs internet service. I see that internet service alone, for some users, can be upwards of $75.00/month or so! Bear in mind that I do not have a smart/cell phone nor want one. Therefore I am wondering whether $99.00 plus tax for the three services--landline phone, mid-tier TV, and internet--is worth it.
If anyone cares to answer: all told, how much do you pay per month for: internet, TV (or streaming services, etc if you use them), and phone (whether landline or cell)?
Sorry to belabor this topic. I guess that's what I am doing. I remain upset about this matter--angry. I despise being backed into a corner, cheated, taken for a fool, "used." That's how I feel.

I'm with Comcast and paying about $205 for the triple play right now since the introductory rates have expired. Time to get back on the phone and get it cut back down.

I'm with Comcast and paying about $205 for the triple play right now since the introductory rates have expired. Time to get back on the phone and get it cut back down.
I assume you have ALL the premium channels for that price. Yikes.

I read a couple of other threads this evening on the topic of cutting cable. One still needs internet service. I see that internet service alone, for some users, can be upwards of $75.00/month or so! Bear in mind that I do not have a smart/cell phone nor want one. Therefore I am wondering whether $99.00 plus tax for the three services--landline phone, mid-tier TV, and internet--is worth it.
If anyone cares to answer: all told, how much do you pay per month for: internet, TV (or streaming services, etc if you use them), and phone (whether landline or cell)?
Sorry to belabor this topic. I guess that's what I am doing. I remain upset about this matter--angry. I despise being backed into a corner, cheated, taken for a fool, "used." That's how I feel.

The $99 for the triple is the going into rate for most companies...

I have cable and phone and am paying $55 per month into, but it will go up to $95 in a year.... this includes the taxes...

I think my sis pays in the $150ish range for triple, with two TVs, DVR and something else.... she is not on intro rate...

Comcast basic TV and Internet is $80. That includes modem rental.
Netflix is $8.
Tracfone averages out to $7.
Verizon wireless for 3 phones is $150.

First three items are a triple play of sorts.

I'd be surprised that after all the hassle of switching your service to someone else, you would be paying much less than $99 per month for fiber optic based service. I would love to have a triple play like you describe for that price, our internet (DSL 4 meg) and phone are $100 month alone.

I think it would be worth one more try with the escalation supervisors to get them to sweeten their offer a bit more but I'd file complaints about the tactics that others have suggested but use and pay for the new service.

I don't blame you for being mad but if the fiber internet is faster than what was originally proposed that would soften the blow. $99/mth for a triple play with fiber internet (>50 Meg) would be a pretty good deal. My beef with TWC is that they continually raised my rate for our triple play. It went from $89 to over $130 before I finally cut the cable.

I pay $28/mo for landline local only. $93/mo for cable one step above basic. And $11/mo for unlimited dialup internet (using local access numbers). Total monthly cost $132, including taxes and fees, for this ala carte triple play. Not interested in any bundling, which would be almost as expensive, and need to upgrade my hardware, plus no trust. So your $118/mo sounds pretty good to me. And I share your loathing of the ripoff artists!

Your reluctance toward further dispute is understandable, we can't fight every battle. It is helpful in any negotiation to have an objective, clearly your service provider has one. The new $99 price seems acceptable to you. Members here love to challenge cable companies, but the cable companies are clearly prepared to wear you down.

When you sign up for a bundle it becomes more difficult to change service in the future. The provide knows this, which is why they offer such attractive sign-up packages. Is the regular price, after the introductory offer runs out, also acceptable? If so, the $99 offer seems pretty low. In my area just internet and basic cable costs that much, and phone adds another $30.

I pay $60/month to AT&T for nationwide unlimited landline calling and $40/month to Comcast for basic internet. I'm not interested in any bundling either. Also, I have streaming with Amazon Prime. But I get prime for the shipping so really don't count the $99/year fee as my viewing habit. The Prime I consider just a bonus to the OTA broadcasts.

I pay about $75 a month for Verizon DSL and phone service, including all fees and taxes.

I pay $29/month for 'fixed wireless' internet. There is a small dish on my house (18" dia?) that points to a local tower (line of sight, but I can't see it).

Not the fastest service, we get about 1Mbps consistently, and bursts of ~ 4-6 Mbps, sometimes for up to a minute during a download (not sure how they regulate this 'burst', it might vary depending on their available bandwidth?).

But it's good enough for one stream at a time, and web surfing etc is fine. We have Netflix, and of course youtube offers a lot. We also have VOIP, and it is mostly OK for that, I have had problems when ping times got high and variable, but my provider was eventually able to straighten that out (interference on some channels on their tower).

But streaming and a phone call at the same time can be problematic, it can get choppy on our end. In fact, today I'm installing a switch between the router and the VOIP adapter, so I can just switch off the rest of the internet to the house if I'm on a phone call and having drop-outs. I recently found that some of the Apple computers were downloading stuff in the background (even though I thought I had them set not to), and I couldn't even find settings on the iPad to control this (I installed an app to monitor the network, and it was downloading stuff, and I couldn't figure out why or what for - arghhhh!). So the 'kill' switch will fix that.

But the key for me is, I'm not dealing with some oligopoly. If I have a problem, I call, they fix it. No stress, no annual call to get the fee reduced (it has been the same $29 for over 10 years). I should check again if they have a higher tier service, I might even entertain the idea of just getting a second dish and paying another $29 to double the bandwidth. $60 doesn't sound bad in comparison.

You might want to check if there are any fixed wireless providers in your area.

VOIP (PowerPhone) runs us ~ $12.30/month with all fees/taxes, etc, essentially unlimited local/LD. So ~ $32 for phone and internet.

-ERD50

Fiber service @ $99 / month locked in for 3 years sounds like a pretty good price to me. If that's within your budget, then I personally don't think it's worth your blood pressure to keep arguing (although I would go ahead with the complaint to the government regulators). If it's not within your budget, you'll need to give something up.

Yeah I'm at $100/mo. on Comcast for all channels + HBO and 75mbps HSI. One box (my Tivo) with multiple Tivo Minis on extra TVs with no monthly fee. This is a 2-year promo price but when it expires I just call, select option to downgrade/cancel service and get a retention rep that gives me another one. Been doing this for 15 or so years now.

That's way better than most are paying for cable + HSI, judging from a lot of posts on other forums (such as dslreports and AVSforum).

Just to compare (and comparisons aren't fair as local taxes and fees are different geographically). You asked what others pay. In Seattle suburban area (all taxes/fees are included in the prices):

Comcast Basic Cable - $23.08. That's the local OTA channels + 10 others
CenturyLink Internet is $38 at 7MB DSL, sufficient for streaming Netflix, etc
CenturyLink* Phone is $56 includes nationwide long distance, call waiting, etc.
* This is the unsubsidized rate, I have a $17/mo discount for upgrading to a phone/internet package - discount good for a one year
Hulu $9.45 includes WA state sales tax using Roku-3 player
Netlfix $9.45 includes WA State sales tax using Roku-3 player
T-Mobile Pay As You Go Plan Cell Phone $3 no taxes, covers 30 minutes of calls, no data

So my rates for 'triple play' is $23+38+56, or $117 from two different sources, and you are being offered a similar rate from one carrier with, I am assuming, some sort of on-demand programming available. I have no on-demand programming with basic cable, and that's why I have Netflix and Hulu subscriptions.

I'd take the $99 deal and lower my blood pressure -- especially if they have in writing that they are locking the rate for 3 years. That's a good offer (in Seattle anyway). My expense before moving to this combination was $150 per month.

-- Rita

Just got off the phone with Comcast (Houston):

Triple play Xfinity package (240 channel package w/ 2 yrs free HBO) - $99/month - TWO YEAR CONTRACT FOR ONE TV

Includes Blast Internet (50 MB/sec)

Phone line

Xtras: HD DVR - $20/month
Modem rental - $10/month
Maint package - $8/month

Taxes, etc brings it to $157.55

Second year is ~ $20/month more. ($178/month)

Tracfone - 3 phones - (this year we didn't need time so it's low) $15.50/mo total

With Comcast we have 3 TVs, 2 computers, 3 rokus, and 3 kindles sharing access via cable tv or internet. This month's bill is below. The bill is constantly going up. The latest increase was in the fees; the one before it was for the two previously free dumb level cable boxes (why they said they were free and then five years later charged for rather old boxes is beyond me). Also, don't ask me what the fee type stuff is for 'cause I don't know.

XFINITY TV
Digital Starter $69.99
Additional Outlet $2.99
Additional Outlet $2.99
Total XFINITY TV $75.97
XFINITY Internet
Modem Rental $10.00
Performance Internet $53.95
Total XFINITY Internet $63.95
Other Charges & Credits
Broadcast TV Fee $3.25
Regional Sports Fee $1.00
Total Other Charges & Credits $4.25
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees
TV
Franchise Costs $0.50
Franchise Fees $5.01
Local Taxes $7.06
State Sales Tax $0.85
FCC Regulatory Fee $0.09
Internet
State Sales Tax $0.87
Total Taxes, Surcharges & Fees $14.38
Statement balance $158.55

SO--WWYD? The older I get the more I need to conserve my emotional health and energy--need to pick my battles. Is this issue worth being angry about as I have been, now, for two days?

You are so wise! I agree completely. Even though what they did was AWFUL, still, is it worth suffering a lot of angst over it? That won't change anything.

If it was me, I'd think about my options (and prices) as though nothing had happened so far, and I'd pick the option (and prices) that would make me happiest. Then I'd pay whatever I needed to pay to get out of this one (like, the installation and one month's service), pay for what I want, and go on with life. It's not that your outrage is unjustified - - you have every reason to be furious. It's just that I don't think there is much you can do about it, and you have better things to be doing with your life.

I doubt that what I pay will help much, but it's

$66.99 to Cox Cable for medium level internet,
$60.52 to Verizon for my iPhone calls, data, and so on, and
$0.00 for television, which I get through a homemade OTA indoor antenna.

I got tired of TV, and we get a lot of OTA channels which is almost all that I watch. Also I have Amazon Prime, but seldom watch streaming video. In fact, Frank set up my TV to use his Netflix and despite the fact that it is always there and available to me if I want it, I have only watched half of one show on Netflix by myself. He sometimes watches stuff on it when he is over here but I am just not that into TV I guess.

Last edited:
Just because it is common does not mean it is not shady....

And if every provider is providing basically the same level of service then caveat emptor does not come into play if you want their service....

Another example is drug companies.... they can charge whatever they want for their drugs... they can raise them at any time and there is nothing a consumer can do.... especially if there is only one drug that can be used....
I understand what you're saying. I suppose my problem is that I don't understand how one benefits from viewing the situation that way. To wit:
SO--WWYD? The older I get the more I need to conserve my emotional health and energy--need to pick my battles. Is this issue worth being angry about as I have been, now, for two days?
And why? Well that's clear:
Your situation aptly show the difference between a "pro-business" environment where the playing field is tilted in favor of a few, and a true 'free enterprise' competitive environment where the playing field is even.
Regardless, perhaps it's not important enough to pursue further.

What do others pay for similar services?
It is important to note that telecommunications services are priced locally. Since I moved within the last year I can give you two data points, for roughly the same services. Verizon in New England charged me $109 for monthly service + $54 for the equipment I was renting from them. Comcast in Georgia charges me $99 for monthly service + $30 for "additional" services. Of course, government charges taxes and fees on top of that.

Last edited:
I pay $29/month for 'fixed wireless' internet. There is a small dish on my house (18" dia?) that points to a local tower (line of sight, but I can't see it).

Not the fastest service, we get about 1Mbps consistently, and bursts of ~ 4-6 Mbps, sometimes for up to a minute during a download (not sure how they regulate this 'burst', it might vary depending on their available bandwidth?).

But it's good enough for one stream at a time, and web surfing etc is fine. We have Netflix, and of course youtube offers a lot. We also have VOIP, and it is mostly OK for that, I have had problems when ping times got high and variable, but my provider was eventually able to straighten that out (interference on some channels on their tower).

But streaming and a phone call at the same time can be problematic, it can get choppy on our end. In fact, today I'm installing a switch between the router and the VOIP adapter, so I can just switch off the rest of the internet to the house if I'm on a phone call and having drop-outs. I recently found that some of the Apple computers were downloading stuff in the background (even though I thought I had them set not to), and I couldn't even find settings on the iPad to control this (I installed an app to monitor the network, and it was downloading stuff, and I couldn't figure out why or what for - arghhhh!). So the 'kill' switch will fix that.

But the key for me is, I'm not dealing with some oligopoly. If I have a problem, I call, they fix it. No stress, no annual call to get the fee reduced (it has been the same $29 for over 10 years). I should check again if they have a higher tier service, I might even entertain the idea of just getting a second dish and paying another $29 to double the bandwidth. $60 doesn't sound bad in comparison.

You might want to check if there are any fixed wireless providers in your area.

VOIP (PowerPhone) runs us ~ $12.30/month with all fees/taxes, etc, essentially unlimited local/LD. So ~ $32 for phone and internet.

-ERD50

I am surprised that your VOIP provider does not 'force' the issue.... where I used to work, when you started a phone conversation the system dedicated the small amount of bandwidth needed for the phone call... there was a max of 24 lines and if all were used the other people could see slower internet etc.....

There might be something like this that is available instead of a kill switch... however, if it does not matter in your house that is an easy fix...

I understand what you're saying. I suppose my problem is that I don't understand how one benefits from viewing the situation that way. To wit:And why? Well that's clear:
Regardless, perhaps it's not important enough to pursue further.

It is important to note that telecommunications services are priced locally. Since I moved within the last year I can give you two data points, for roughly the same services. Verizon in New England charged me $109 for monthly service + $54 for the equipment I was renting from them. Comcast in Georgia charges me $99 for monthly service + $30 for "additional" services. Of course, government charges taxes and fees on top of that.

Well, the quote just does not look the same... but anyhow...

I agree that pursuing the matter is not worth the time and trouble... what does the OP expect to happen in the end? Get the original quoted rate? Not going to happen... as I mentioned earlier it was a proposal... it was not a legal contract... they have given their best offer and it is now up to the OP to decide what to do... since there are no good alternatives, I would just suck it up and pay... I might do what she did and complain a bit more, but in the end it is either pay the higher rate or get someone else...

I'm livid at the moment. After carefully negotiating a "triple play" package with a major phone/cable company last month--and getting a confirmation of all agreed upon charges in writing--I received my first bill. The bill does not AT ALL reflect the agreed upon package price. 1.5 hours on the phone to the company today and all I am told is that "the sales rep was wrong; we will make sure we will train our reps better in the future."

I will not pay a bill for something I did not agree to. What can I do? A quick check on the internet confirms that this company frequently uses bait and switch tactics.

Re-reading the original post, I would switch to another provider then enjoy when the old provider begs you to stay. By walking, you'd cut your losses and not give another penny to the company that got you livid in the first place. Maybe you'd find a company that doesn't d the bait and switch tactics.

After asking DW to hide the Comcast bill, my blood pressure dropped 20 points. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom