Can anyone recommend a good stock forum?

daverph

Dryer sheet aficionado
Can anyone recommend a good forum devoted to individual stocks? Everything I see is all about mutual funds. Thanks.

Dave

Not really. What individual stocks did you have in mind?

I am somewhat reluctant to post ideas because everyone here only seems to remember and comment on the ones that don't work out.

I am not looking for anything specific at the moment, just a place where I can chat with those that invest soley or priamarily in individual stocks. For conversation sake, I like Altria, Proctor and Gamble, Johnson and Johnson, Berkshire Hathaway, and Coca Cola. However, I am mostly interested in small value stocks. I am interested in how people have built up there portfolios over the years using stocks.

daverph said:
I am not looking for anything specific at the moment, just a place where I can chat with those that invest soley or priamarily in individual stocks. For conversation sake, I like Altria, Proctor and Gamble, Johnson and Johnson, Berkshire Hathaway, and Coca Cola. However, I am mostly interested in small value stocks. I am interested in how people have built up there portfolios over the years using stocks.

Say the word here. I am heavily concentrated in small value stuff and always have been. Some others (Nords, among others) invest in individual equities as well and might comment.

Thats a relief, its seemed like everyone here was into Vanguard. I am a recovering Diehard myself. I was totally devoted until I learned about Warren Buffett and focus investing. I was introduced to small value investing by an older guy I used to work with a few years back. I was holding 500 index and losing money while he was making almost 6 figures a year in profits in his IRA. I figured that this guy at almost 60 knew better than me at 27. I have not invested anything in a while, other than my 401k which is in a great small value fund-Keely small cap, normally a loaded fund but I get it free of charge in my 401k. Its doing well. But I can't wait til I can roll over into an IRA and start going after some good bargains on my own. I would ask for some leads but I am staying put in my job for a while so it wouldnt do me any good, and there is no other money to take advantage of them right now-wife not working/home with baby. Some day......

dave, in the meantime (with all that spare time new parents have :LOL:), learn all you can about accounting and corporate finance. Get a decent accounting textbook, and see if you can pick up a used copy or "Fundamentals of Corporate Finance" by Brealey & Myers. If you understand what the financial statements mean, you will be way ahead of the game.

If you are interested, I can show you a very simple model for a simple company.

brewer12345 said:
I am somewhat reluctant to post ideas because everyone here only seems to remember and comment on the ones that don't work out.

There are always winners and losers. No one has a perfect record. Keep the ideas coming. ;)

I appreciate that very much, but I have an accounting book by Benjamin Graham. It was recommended by Rich Rockwood who runs focusinvesting.com and also wrote an excellent book called "The Focus Investor". I recommend it to all. It goes over company models and things like that. I am also looking into uranium stocks, I like Cameco. I have looked into the industry and the company and see them as the leader and poised to dominate the market now and in the future.

daverph said:
I appreciate that very much, but I have an accounting book by Benjamin Graham. It was recommended by Rich Rockwood who runs focusinvesting.com and also wrote an excellent book called "The Focus Investor". I recommend it to all. It goes over company models and things like that. I am also looking into uranium stocks, I like Cameco. I have looked into the industry and the company and see them as the leader and poised to dominate the market now and in the future.

You might want something a little more modern, as accounting changes over time. Definately need a good corporate finance book, too.

I think uranium will go nuts also. Haven't investigated any of the stocks, though.

http://www.dripinvesting.org/Boards/Boards.asp

This is mostly about drip plans, which usually includes disc. of the larger companies paying dividends...

Edit: what I have found is most people that talk about individual stock are completely full of **** on web boards.... ;) Remember if you are good at it, that should be good enough rather than have to find admiration from a bunch of anonymous posters...in other words, lots of trolls on these kind of boards.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom