Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I'm running at 820-830 and my credit report says I should have more lines of credit, it recommended 18. 69 seems maybe a bit much..but for me thats just because having to track them all and ensure no fraud is too much of a hassle for me.

If they are major credit cards I'd just keep them, I have a discover card I used once in the last 8 years but has a decent line of credit so its a plus. However, if you have a store credit and you use it it could actually be a minus as they look at overall and individual limits.. so if you have a $500 store card and happen to charge $400, if they happen to run the report at that time (since its only a snapshot), it would show you are above a high water mark and could cost you a few points... obviously anything above 780 is really the same..but it seems you'd like to try for 850 so just something to keep in mind.
I should clarify that I have 69 total accounts, but 50 of those are closed. I "only" have 19 open at the moment. I play credit card games (currently travel hacking and tradeline piggybacking) to earn a few thousand dollars extra per year so that is why I have so many.

It's not something I would necessarily recommend; I was just using my data as a counterexample about the number of open accounts.

I don't really care what my credit score is. I'm retired, debt-free except for my credit card games, have no plans to borrow money for anything, and I think mine is high enough to avoid higher insurance rates on the insurance that I carry.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

And I could care less (within reason) what my FICO score is, as I don't intend to ever borrow any money in the future.
I'm with you.
I'm not saying it's the case with anyone here @ ERF, but I've read articles in the past (may have been SmartMoney magazine) where people became obsessed with their credit rating, & the vast majority of the time, the people that obsessed the most, were those that didn't really have to worry about it.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #23

We started opening cards for the sign up bonuses last year and closed them all after a year. We did maybe 3 each over the year and it never seemed to make much of a change in our credit scores. I just checked Discover's FICO score table for the past year and it doesn't show any major changes for card opening or closing events.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #24

When I had no credit score, I opened a secured credit card, and it does count towards your credit score. Three months or four months after having it, I went back to the same bank and said I wanted a "real" credit card.
They gave me one, and took back the secured one.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We started opening cards for the sign up bonuses last year and closed them all after a year. We did maybe 3 each over the year and it never seemed to make much of a change in our credit scores. I just checked Discover's FICO score table for the past year and it doesn't show any major changes for card opening or closing events.
+1
Same thing, although I think I noticed when I opened a new one that my score slipped from 813 to 793 a couple of months ago, but has since climbed back up a few points.