Credit wise vs FICO credit score

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My credit score from all 3 credit reporting companies is excellent. I've wondered why Creditwise is always about 5- 6% lower than FICO, even though CreditWise at CapitalOne and FICO at Wells Fargo both use TransUnion data. A 5% lower score could get you a slighly high mortgage rate if you have border line score.

I have no idea. The only time I even check mine is when a thread like this pops up... So that's several times each year. :)

I am only a one point difference between TU and Equifax. It's my understanding banks pull more than one when applying for a mortgage.

Again, the point of this inquiry is that the two different scores are coming from the data of TU but being reported by Credit Wise and FICO differently.

No idea, but I would guess that each has their own "in house" massage of the number related to what they see from a customer at their business (or even customer vs non-customer).
Could also be an update issue, maybe they get a lagging indicator value.

I just got 2 more credit cards.
One said my score was 815/850 the other said it was 823/900

Somebody is wrong :LOL:

My credit score from all 3 credit reporting companies is excellent. I've wondered why Creditwise is always about 5- 6% lower than FICO, even though CreditWise at CapitalOne and FICO at Wells Fargo both use TransUnion data. A 5% lower score could get you a slighly high mortgage rate if you have border line score.

So Creditwise is a service of Cap One that uses VantageScore 3.0. There are numerous Fico scores. A quick search tells me Wells Fargo reports Fico Score 9 using Experian data.
https://www.wellsfargo.com/goals-credit/smarter-credit/credit-101/fico/

I am not surprised if it is difficult (impossible) to compare these directly. I did a deep dive on my own “free” scores from 5 different banks. They were generally within 2% but some models were more reactive than others.

It’s not too hard to boost mediocre credit scores by paying down debt but it gets tougher if you already have a decent score.

I see FICO? credit score bands of 760-850, 700-760, 680-699, etc. That not even close to 5%. The difference in rates is less than 1/4% between bands.

I would see what score model the lender will be using and what are their rate bands.

Back
Top Bottom