Join Early Retirement Today

Car/Home/Umbrella Insurance Recommendations?
Old 05-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Car/Home/Umbrella Insurance Recommendations?

One of those years when I really need to call around for better rates. Currently have State Farm and hate the constant rate creep with no explanation, no claims ever, etc.

Wondering whether anyone has recommendations. My short list so far:
Amica
Travellers
Metlife
Liberty Mutual
Farmers
Nationwide

Thanks!

Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #2

We have been with Amica for several years and have been happy. They too have rate creep...but tell me what company doesn't...I don't think it exists. There are explanations, and they are reasonable (lots of storms, more complex and expensive cars, more accidents from distracted drivers) in my mind. Do I like the increases? Of course not, but USAA mentioned last year that in the first time in the HISTORY of the company, they paid out more in claims than they took in premiums in 2016.

At any rate, most of the good financial folks out there will tell you to rate shop every couple of years, and don't become a huge fan of a company...as brand loyalty will not get you any savings.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

Find a broker who will shop it for you. Nextdoor is a good source for finding a broker based on your neighbor's recommendations and experience.
My current insurance isn't through any of the ones you have listed, though they offered the best rates and did fine by us on our only claim. Bid your insurance every two years, at least.

My broker found these guys.

https://www.auto-owners.com/
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

I have had State Farm for decades. Have not found anything worth switching to. Rates creep but still seem good.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have had State Farm for decades. Have not found anything worth switching to. Rates creep but still seem good.
+1 except for me it is Liberty Mutual plus for car insurance you are allowed 1 accident every 5 years with no associated rate increase.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #6

Have been with Farmers for 3 years. At annual renewal time last December I shopped for a better deal with an independent agent. Farmers still had the best rates for the coverage we wanted.
“Every tick-tock is a second of life that passes by, that flees never to repeat itself. And it holds such intensity, such interest that the only problem is knowing how to live. May each person solve it as best they can.”

Frida Kahlo
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We use an independent agent and have been with Cincinnatti Insurance Co for quite a while... perhaps as long as 10 years.... I have them shop it every other year or so and Cincinnati is always the most competitive.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have Allstate now, and the rate creep was not too bad the past two years. Had State Farm before that, rate creep was terrible with them. Before that had Guide One through a broker. Low rates, but they skyrocketed back when I had my first accident ever in my life (where I was at fault), a parking lot fender bender.

Will shop around and may try a broker again, if/when the Allstate rate creep becomes too high. I do have "accident forgiveness" with Allstate as i also did with State Farm, so that may be a factor in the rate creep, at least with State Farm anyway.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

country financial companies
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #10

We have been really happy with WestBend
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 AM   #11

When rates creep, I move my business. Amica and USAA are the highest rsted. I have pulled my business from Met Life as they were sub par.

I was in the car business 24 years and had to often mediate claims for customers. Farmers Insurance Group gave me more trouble than all other companies combined.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:07 AM   #12

We are with State Farm and have not noticed any rate creep on auto or umbrella liability. In fact auto rates have declined marginally, I assume that is due to declining auto value. The home owners policy increases each year due to the inflation factor built in (5 percent I believe). For the past two years I have had them scale back coverage to the prior year's coverage so that there has been no premium increase. We are able to do this only as long as we feel the coverage is sufficient and State farm's calculation tool supports the math. Our home has increased in value but the coverage was greater than it needed to be to begin with. Don't forget land value need not be insured, just replacement cost of the structure.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the same issues with not rate creep but rate skyrocketing. Went to an Independent Agent who placed us with Hanover and saved $1200 yr on home/auto from what we would have paid with then current company after increase.

I never would have shopped Hanover on my own.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #14

Another vote for independent agents. Mine isn't independent- he's exclusively Farmers. I've been happy with Farmers and especially the agent (never had a claim so I can't tell you how they are there), but in order to remain competitive they've cut agent commissions to the bone. He's got his house on the market so they can downsize and had to let a staff member go. When he retires in a couple years I'm outta there. I was in the property-casualty insurance business for 38 years so I need my hand held less than most, but my agent was really good about explaining what coverages were in my policy. They're not all created equal. I want that expertise. Id get rate creep. It happens.

DS worked for a unit of Nationwide and they treat their claimants pretty well. He left because he felt the management in HQ was going in the wrong direction for his unit (Commercial, not Home/Auto business) and they were losing money. His new employer (not listed above), he said, fights claims to the mat by comparison. They still provide what the policy promised but not a penny more.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #15

Also been with State Farm forever. Coincidentally, I met w/ a broker a couple days ago to see if we can get better prices for the same coverage.

Expecting to hear back today or Monday.
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We use an independent agent and have been with Cincinnatti Insurance Co for quite a while... perhaps as long as 10 years.... I have them shop it every other year or so and Cincinnati is always the most competitive.
Watch out for companies offering agents increased commission as that company always seem to get chosen by the independent agents. I would also do your own premium check every few years just to make sure the agent is not doing whats best for him. (I have been an agent in the past)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

You should definitely get quote from Hartford-AARP, been with them for auto, home and umbrella for years, great service and minimal rate creep. My neighbor just switched there and saved $ too.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I know GEICO has its detractors, but I switched from Farmers recently and saved about $800 per year. I think the best fit depends a lot on one's individual risk profile and situation.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
I know GEICO has its detractors, but I switched from Farmers recently and saved about $800 per year. I think the best fit depends a lot on one's individual risk profile and situation.

I have Geico for auto and umbrella.....premiums are very attractive here in Jersey.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

If I lived in Minnesota, I would find an agent that represents the better regional companies in the Midwest. I would look for an agent that represents Acuity, UFG or Country Companies, not in any order. I think that you will find the regional companies to be easy to deal with, have local adjustors and knowledgeable agents.

rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote