car people - suggest a toy

There is an Alfa version of the Miata that is more of a head-turner, built on the Miata line so little risk of the fabled Italian reliability. I strongly considered it before I bought my WRX, but wanted the extra space in the soob.

The Alfa is great fun to drive and has entirely adequate power for a street car. Having spent 15 years racing sports cars, I am not very excited by unnecessary horsepower on the street but YMMV.

I have had Porsches and they're great for the ego but astronomically expensive to maintain. I also considered Vettes at one point, but DS said: "Dad, you're going to look like a guy in middle life crisis." Yes, that.

Please be more specific! I am aware of the Fiat 125 version of the Miata, but Alpha has the 4C roadster which I do not believe is a Miata variant.

Please be more specific! I am aware of the Fiat 125 version of the Miata, but Alpha has the 4C roadster which I do not believe is a Miata variant.
Oops, sorry. I drove it at an aAlfa store but it was the Fiat. Not as sexy a brand name but quite a decent ride.

I don't think that 4C is a Miata variant . That is a 85K car the Miata / Fiat is less then 30 K

I'm not a "car person", but I can chime in with another vote for a Miata. DH is on is second and just loves the thing. His first one, he bought used in case he didn't like it. Kept it until routine maintenance was needed (tires, some other things), then traded it in on a brand new one and has been happy as a clam ever since. I call it a "toy car".

If you get down to it, the Mazda Miata is the best sports car to ever be built that's affordable and durable. But it has an image of being a "girl car." My college roommate had a couple of racing Miatas he campaigned out of Florida, and they weren't for sissies.

I think the image of it being a 'girl car' is odd. In my area, it's viewed more as a middle-aged guy's car. Not a crisis car, but a mid-40s to mid-60s guy's car that says "the kids are out of the house and now I can have fun!" In fact, in all our years of driving around in it, we've only ever seen one woman driving one.

We have a 2008 MX-5 (Miata) roadster bought new and it has been extremely reliable and loads of fun. We are thinking of switching, though, because we'd like to take the fun car on trips occasionally and the Miata is pretty noisy, has a fairly unforgiving ride, and extremely limited trunk space. It's a blast on curvy, twisty, roads, but not so pleasant on an expressway. We are considering a Mustang convertible (GT?) but need to confirm that it will be a more pleasant experience on longer drives.
It's noisy on interstates, for sure, but we just load up a podcast. Otherwise, we're on those back roads (actually the divided highways that were the main roads before the interstates) with the roof down. Those are still quite fun to drive and often have hills and turns (unless we're in FL!). We go on two long trips a year right now, 700 miles one way and have a blast!

As for comfort, the 2015 (top trim line) is MUCH more comfortable than the 2008 sporty one was. My hips were always sore in that one after about two hours and the 2015 is just as comfy as my SUV, with, interestingly, a bit more legroom.
There is also a marked difference between the rag top (our 2008) and the hard top (the 2015) as for noise. The hard top is MUCH quieter on the interstates (for those rainy days when having the roof down isn't possible).

The Mustang you listed would be our next choice, if we wanted more room. :D

I've heard that about the Miata being a "chick" car. I care very little about opinions like this. It's really fun to drive. The only thing I'll say against it from the OP's requirements is that it's not that fast. It feels fast though, which keeps it fun yet safe. I agree it's a noisy, somewhat uncomfortable interstate driver, but that doesn't look to be what the OP needs.

I don't know what I'd do if mine got unreliable. I might get that RF with the hard top option, for both decreased noise and better bad weather driving. I've got the typical 1st gen back plastic window tear, and a raccoon put a couple of pinhole punctures in my roof (at least didn't shred it like it did the cover), so I don't like driving it now if there's any real chance of rain. But I might just stick with one car. Or go for the retro Mustang, Camaro, or Charger. Or something like a pickup I could turn into a weekend camper. Or go crazy with a class B RV.

With a discount you might even consider a New VW GTI stick shift. It's front wheel drive but a blast to drive. And VW extended their bumper to bumper warranty.

We got a BMW Z4 2011. Has a "M" type engine. Plenty fast, although Boxters hold the curves better. Looks great too and not the typical sports car for this area.
Probably could get it from that model year in the 20-30k range.

Now, if you are willing to give up on the rear wheel drive, a VW GTI or Golf R...

That's what we got as our "toy". Our manual GTI is a blast to drive. I know some people really want RWD, but I don't mind on this car. Ours was in the upper $20Ks a few years ago, but if that too much, a slightly used one should fit the bill.

Was just watching Scotty Kilmer's channel on youtube on this very subject. I vote Miata. You will regret anything from Germany. IIRC, Corvettes can be sketchy as well.

If I had a lot of pennies, I would consider an XKSS replica or a Viper myself.

Even though I have a soft spot for them, avoid anything British (MG, Triumph). They are a real pain to own.

Like the saying goes, "if Lucas made guns, wars would never start".

Had a '99 Miata and had loads of fun with it. But not very comfortable on a long trip and very limited luggage space. Recently had a '14 Mustang V6 convertible and much more comfortable on a cross country trip. If you really want then look at the GT version.

If I were buying one now I'd get heated seats to extend the top down driving season.

The thing that really extended top down season for me was a hooded sweatshirt. It keeps the vortex of cold air rolling off the top of the windshield from running down the back of my neck. Easily good for 5-10 degrees cooler weather.

I vote for the Miata as well. I have enjoyed mine for 18 years with minimal trouble. Sure it's not blazing straight line fast, but it is still fun to run through the gears and throw it around curves like a go-kart. Speeding tickets are down for me since I unloaded the 5.0L Mustang, so its not all bad.

We got a BMW Z4 2011. Has a "M" type engine. Plenty fast, although Boxters hold the curves better. Looks great too and not the typical sports car for this area.
Probably could get it from that model year in the 20-30k range.

Or heck, if you're a purist you could go for the previous generation Z4M from 2006-2008. Just as powerful as the newer turbo, but normally aspirated for that immediate kick. Available as either a coupe or vert (not that heavy halfway-between "hardtop convertible" they introduced in '09).

Personally I'm a hardtop fan so it would be between a Z4M coupe and a Porsche Cayman for me in your price range.

My vote is for a convertible mustang or camaro. My old boss had a mustang with a convertible, stick and a six banger. She loved it and had a lot of fun driving it. FWIW, she could buy just about any car she’d want.

For driving I don't think you'd beat the Miata. That's what my DS swears by.

I owned a 2001 Porsche Carrera 4 for just about 14 years, until it was totaled from the rear. Very reliable and durable for me, but only about 32k miles I think. It was very nice, but a little slow these days. The Cayman should be a better driver.

When Tesla Model 3's hit your price range try it out. Electrics are fast and a blast to drive. The Model S is fast, but too big to be fun for me.

my Miata's were daily drivers. we took many road trips in the Miata's, with the longest being 29 days---camping every night as always. the vette has always put a smile on our faces and it too gets its share of road trip but I can't carry as much in the vette as I could the miatas with a trunk rack. for the money, you can't beat a Miata. but for pure fun and extreme comfort you can't beat a vette! (c7)

Attachments

• 8 (26).jpg
    8 (26).jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 115 (3).jpg
    115 (3).jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180907_150247.jpg
    20180907_150247.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1586681.jpg
    1586681.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Another Mazda MX5 Miata vote. I bought a new one in 2008 with power retractable hardtop. Loved driving that car!

I'd buy a Miata tomorrow if I was about 6" shorter. At 6'-3" tall, I couldn't sit in the older versions with the top up. Are the newer ones any larger?

If you can find one in good shape - Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. Classic vehicle.

I am currently selling my beautiful white Porsche 944 with the burgundy "script Porsche" interior that has a 5 speed. Unfortunately, I enjoy my 2004 Mustang GT convertible much more with almost twice the HP. My FIL has a really nice original Miata, but it doesn't really interest me for a performance car.

If I had your budget, I would seriously look at a 5.0L Coyote V8 Mustang convertible with the 6 speed (420+ HP with full independent suspension on the later ones).

I'd buy a Miata tomorrow if I was about 6" shorter. At 6'-3" tall, I couldn't sit in the older versions with the top up. Are the newer ones any larger?
I hear you. At 5'9" I lean the seat back a notch with the top up so I'm not bumping it. Mostly I drive it in top down weather.

Back
Top Bottom