Votes: 46 44.2%
  • Bought a used car every time

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Bought a new car every time

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Bought some cars new, bought some cars used

Votes: 35 33.7%

• Total voters
Always buy new - usually pay cash, but the dealer usually gives me an extra $1-2k off if I finance. So I finance and pay it off in a couple of months

I'd have to say all of the above . I've paid cash . I've financed cars . I've bought new and I've bought used . Whatever seems reasonable at the time .

When I was young I financed new cars. Now that I'm old I buy used for cash.

Coach

All of the above.

Last was used for cash.

Bought new and used. Always cash. Only borrowed money once, mortgage on first house, paid it off ~22 years early.

We always buy used and pay cash. Makes me spend less on a car and not stretch.

Currently drive a 2003 Chevy Suburban and a 2006 Chrysler 300. Alas, not very stylish or sexy, much to my DW's regret (and sometimes mine).

That's fabulous!
The suggestion that replacing the Harley Davidson engines with something else could be thought of as a reduction in power was hysterical.
:LOL:

"...These cars were first powered by Harley engines, but figuring the loud roar wasn’t really all that good for these cars, Wright gave them more subtle Honda and Kawasaki engines. That however, does not mean that the cars lost their power..."

Paid cash for some, financed some. At least through 2003. I only bought one new car in my life, a 1984 Honda Accord.

We now only buy used vehicles for cash. Being free of consumer debt is very important to us. We tend to buy "certified" used for our primary vehicle.

interesting - us used and cash only guys average car age - you 20.66, me 19 for the drivers. not adding in the '56 Chev getting work done or the 56' VW scattered around the garage.

When it isn't winter I still drive the 76 Monte a good bit so felt I could include it. With just the "young-uns" I'd be at 14.

The Toyota p-up just turned twenty, the CRV is 8.

I live in a college town. Most of the students drive newer vehicles than me. I prefer to drive'em til the wheels fall off. Then I put the wheels back on and do it again. And in the case of the Monte I bought in 1984 I do it again and again and again and again...

The average age for the cars at our house: 3 weeks... :blush: We just bought 2 new cars to replace a 9-year old VW and a 13-year old Mazda.

Starting out--bought used and financed. Later on bought new and financed. The last three cars that I have bought were new and paid cash. Already have the cash saved for next car---plan to purchase a year and half from now. I expect that this forum is very atypical with all the cash buyers. When I worked, co-workers who leased were shocked at the idea of paying cash for a car. They also traded far more frequently than I.

Have always purchased new every three years. Retired from GM and still get a discount but it's about 10% now and not that inticing. In recent years we have leased. May not be the best way to go financially but at the end of lease you can buy or turn it back in. I'll never drive a car out of warranty. However, we are considering buying used in the future, like one year old, drive it for a couple years and if we like it buy an extended warranty and keep on driving. We used to get a big discount on upscale cars that had 3000 miles on them but those days are long gone. I still have a little heart left for the old company, but not much. I'll buy what ever is the best deal for us, not GM.

Back
Top Bottom