Medicare/Social Security Question

Drake3287

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hoping someone who's already been through this can answer my question. My wife turns 65 in June and will need to apply for Medicare 3 months prior just like I did last year. She'd also like to apply for Social Security at age 65.

First off, can she apply for both of these at the same time and secondly, because my wife turns 65 in June, will she need to technically start SS effective July 1st? I assume she needs to wait until her exact 65th birthday or after in order to get the maximum amount for a 65 year old. When applying for SS do they ask you when you'd like it to start?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Is she going to do it on the social security website in her secure account? Their questions will lead you through the process.

There was an option on the Social Security form to also start Medicare, as I planned to start SS at 65 like your wife.

I have no idea if it works because I submitted the form on January 9th, given a 2-4 week expected review period, and it will be 6 weeks as of tomorrow without a word if the form has been accepted or if I will start either on time. No phone calls, no emails, no snail mail communication, no updates on my SS account (still says in review). :mad::(

I wanted my first check to start in April (when I turn 65), so I was directed to start my SS benefit on March 1. What gets accrued in March will be paid in April. So, if your wife wants her first SS check in June, the month she turns 65, she will need to start her benefit on May 1.

I wish her better luck than I have had so far. If anyone is going to get screwed over on the start of SS and Medicare, it will be me.

Last edited:
I started Medicare by itself, as waiting on getting older for SS.

They don't have to be taken at the same time, and for me, my Full Retirement Age is past age 66.

In the old days age 65 was great for both as it was also the FRA age. Now that connection is broken, so it's weird that to signup for Medicare , it's done on the Social Security site.

I have no idea if it works because I submitted the form on January 9th, given a 2-4 week expected review period, and it will be 6 weeks as of tomorrow without a word if the form has been accepted or if I will start either on time. No phone calls, no emails, no snail mail communication, no updates on my SS account (still says in review). :mad::(
I did my online application for SS on 1/30 and expected to wait 6 weeks. I checked my SS account around 2 weeks later, and to my utter surprise it showed approved already. Must depend on your particulars and the staff/work load of the SS office that has your case. I would not expect to get anything via phone, email or snail mail though - I’d check online FWIW. I guess you could go to your local SS office and ask, but I doubt that would help?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 11.53.52 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 11.53.52 AM.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
In the old days age 65 was great for both as it was also the FRA age. Now that connection is broken, so it's weird that to signup for Medicare , it's done on the Social Security site.

My understanding is it's done that way since Social Security has the employment record to confirm your eligibility for Medicare.

DW's application for SS took about a month. She was not eligible for Medicare yet. I think you can have your Medicare payments taken out of your SS. Taxes too if needed.

I did my online application for SS on 1/30 and expected to wait 6 weeks. I checked my SS account around 2 weeks later, and to my utter surprise it shows ‘approved, though it will show pending until the month my payments start.’ Must depend on your particulars and the staff/work load of the SS office that has your case. I would not expect to get anything via phone, email or snail mail though - I’d check online FWIW. I guess you could go to your local SS office and ask, but I doubt that would help?
Like I said, if anyone here was going to far exceed the waiting period for an application to be accepted, it would be me. I don't think I have any issues that need to be dealt with. I haven't worked in several years, so no lagging income (and I indicated such). I am claiming on my own work record and not a spousal claim. My DW claimed on her own work record over 6 years ago, so that's not an issue. I honestly don't understand why my particular case is being delayed.
DW's application for SS took about a month. She was not eligible for Medicare yet. I think you can have your Medicare payments taken out of your SS. Taxes too if needed.
That and the above comments are not giving me a warm fuzzy. The online status has not changed in six weeks. Still says it's being reviewed.

Last edited:
My 65th bday was in Sept. I took SS in Sept. when I turned 65. I received my first SS deposit in October. I applied for SS in March or April. Had a phone interview with the SS office in July, and verified everything. I would say apply 4 months in advance of the month you want to start. SS bases the first day of the month you turn 65 regardless of your actual birthdate in that month. Apply on the SS website in your account. Your wife must do this. You can't do it for her.

I used the national telephone number for social security to make a telephone appointment to sign up for social security. My appointment was about six weeks later and they called at the appointed time. My social security was approved on the spot along with setting up withholding. I signed up online on Medicare.gov for Medicare Parts A and B. I checked a couple of weeks later on the social security website to find my Medicare number. I then signed up for a Part B supplement and Part D prescription plan through Via Benefits. Everything went smoothly and I had all my cards by the first day of my birthday month.

I turned 65 last Fall and applied for Medicare only. Even though I applied 2 months before the month in which I turned 65, and approval in my case was a complete no brainer, they sat on my application until the very last minute. My application on their site had a "stage two of three step approval" until the day before my ACA insurance ended and Medicare was to begin. It's the Gubment, they wont hurry for anybody!

Yes, you can apply for SS and medicare at the same time. I started both when I turned 65 (June) a couple of years ago. I applied online in March, received a call from SS in April to verify info, first payment was in July. No issues at all.

I turned 65 last Fall and applied for Medicare only. Even though I applied 2 months before the month in which I turned 65, and approval in my case was a complete no brainer, they sat on my application until the very last minute. My application on their site had a "stage two of three step approval" until the day before my ACA insurance ended and Medicare was to begin. It's the Gubment, they wont hurry for anybody!

Same here. When I applied for spousal on September 1 to start in November with first check in December, it sat and sat and sat until December 7. This is not at all unusual.

Same here. When I applied for spousal on September 1 to start in November with first check in December, it sat and sat and sat until December 7. This is not at all unusual.
Did you contact anyone along the way, or did you just wait it out? I wonder if part of my delay is I applied almost three months before I needed to start Medicare and to received my first SS check. Or maybe because I am doing both at the same time added to the "review" process.

Did you contact anyone along the way, or did you just wait it out? I wonder if part of my delay is I applied almost three months before I needed to start Medicare and to received my first SS check. Or maybe because I am doing both at the same time added to the "review" process.

I just waited it out. I knew they had it since it was at Step 2 and I had heard they were very slow in processing the ones that were filed really early like mine (and yours) because they focus on the ones that have payments starting that month. They are understaffed and very busy. Think of all the thousands of claims they receive each month. Seriously, I would not worry. I only received my notice about 10 days before I received my first payment. And it was only the one that I downloaded off their website. I never received a hard copy, but I didn't one.

On the other hand, when I decided to switch to my own benefits from Spousal I applied online on January 1 to start that month. It only took 10 days to get through the approval process. And that 10 days included the New Year's holiday.

Thanks everyone for your comments, sounds like it's a fairly easy process. In my wife's case we know she doesn't have to take Medicare at the same time as Medicare but she's been planning to start SS at 65 anyway.

***Slightly off topic*** What if someone that is about to turn 65 just ignores the issue and DOES NOT sign up for Medicare. What are the consequences? I'm sure this happens more often that we think.

Mike

***Slightly off topic*** What if someone that is about to turn 65 just ignores the issue and DOES NOT sign up for Medicare. What are the consequences? I'm sure this happens more often that we think.

Mike

Medicare Part A is automatic enrollment. If one does not enroll in Medicare Part B, they will have to pay their medical costs out of pocket. They also lose the guaranteed right to enroll in a Medicare Supplement plan (unless their state guarantees access).

If they choose to enroll in Medicare B at a future date, they will pay a higher premium as a penalty for delayed enrollment.

Medicare Part A is automatic enrollment. If one does not enroll in Medicare Part B, they will have to pay their medical costs out of pocket. They also lose the guaranteed right to enroll in a Medicare Supplement plan (unless their state guarantees access).

If they choose to enroll in Medicare B at a future date, they will pay a higher premium as a penalty for delayed enrollment.

Thank You

Mike

Mike

Late enrollment for a part D also has a penalty when later a person enrolls.

The penalties for part B and D late enrollment are for life and not a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom