Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
When I was young and had no money, I worried about that. Now that I am older and retired and have a nickel or two, I worry about that. My income is military retirement, s.s., pension and two rental properties. Cash in the bank at .55 only earns like $20 a month per 50k. I like to stay liquid.
If all the banks go under, bank accounts will be worthless. If too much money keeps getting printed and put into the economy, cash will be almost worthless.
I keep about 5k in cash in the house. Sometimes the wife and I think about keeping nearly all of our cash in a safe in the house. But then, if it becomes worthless... So, we are stockpiling food and water. Reading too many survivalist forums huh!
You have one possibility of many covered. Now work on a few more.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
When I was young and had no money, I worried about that. Now that I am older and retired and have a nickel or two, I worry about that. My income is military retirement, s.s., pension and two rental properties. Cash in the bank at .55 only earns like $20 a month per 50k. I like to stay liquid.
If all the banks go under, bank accounts will be worthless. If too much money keeps getting printed and put into the economy, cash will be almost worthless.
I keep about 5k in cash in the house. Sometimes the wife and I think about keeping nearly all of our cash in a safe in the house. But then, if it becomes worthless... So, we are stockpiling food and water. Reading too many survivalist forums huh!
I suppose we could argue whether stockpiling for survival has any merit (yes, someone might take your stash though I doubt most folks would charge down a load of 00 shot for a can of beans). But, I've stockpiled this year on items I use routinely (primarily canned/prepared foods, paper/plastic products, etc.) This had little to do with "survival" and more to do with my personal outlook on the value of the US$. Unfortunately, these items have been my best investments, earning over 10%. Personally, I don't believe the "official" inflation numbers and my personal documentation backs that up. So, criticize "stockpiling" all you want, but it can be used strategically. Not a recommendation, just an observation of what worked for me this year. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You need a hobby - preferably one not involving, guns, knives, or explosives...
I ddin't know there was anything else....

Quote:
And frickin' frackers...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I suppose we could argue whether stockpiling for survival has any merit (yes, someone might take your stash though I doubt most folks would charge down a load of 00 shot for a can of beans).
You underestimate the will power of someone with a couple of hungry kids sitting in the bushes, or what 10-12 looters can manage.

Quote:
But, I've stockpiled this year on items I use routinely (primarily canned/prepared foods, paper/plastic products, etc.) This had little to do with "survival" and more to do with my personal outlook on the value of the US$. Unfortunately, these items have been my best investments, earning over 10%. Personally, I don't believe the "official" inflation numbers and my personal documentation backs that up. So, criticize "stockpiling" all you want, but it can be used strategically. Not a recommendation, just an observation of what worked for me this year. As always, YMMV.
I'm not a hoarder, but on the occasions when Amazon or P&G has coconut water, detergent, paper towels and whatnot on a deep sale I buy 4-8 cases.

And yeah, inflation is ridiculous right now, but apparently I'm imagining it. Meat and milk prices shot up, gas is high, and I'm not seeing anything still at the same price as last year. Hell, taco bells "$2 meal deals" cost $3 now, and the $5 box meal is now $5.50...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

And yeah, inflation is ridiculous right now, but apparently I'm imagining it. Meat and milk prices shot up, gas is high, and I'm not seeing anything still at the same price as last year. Hell, taco bells "$2 meal deals" cost $3 now, and the $5 box meal is now $5.50...
Yup. DW and I were trying to decide which "dollar" menu to use yesterday. McD's was $1.50 and BK was $1.99. Go figure. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #46

Quote:
I'm not a hoarder, but on the occasions when Amazon or P&G has coconut water, detergent, paper towels and whatnot on a deep sale I buy 4-8 cases.
There is a huge difference between "stocking up" and "hoarding". Stocking up (also referred to as prepping) is when you go to the store and buy six whazzits and the store will replenish them in the next day or so. There's not a shortage of whazzits - you just want some extra to keep in the house.

Hoarding, in survival terms, means there's a shortage and you're trying to grab as much as you can without regard to the restocking capability of the store or for others who might need the same item.

We stock up on things that are basic to our every day lives - food, cleaning supplies, and sanitary supplies not because we think the world is going to come physically crashing down around us - we stock up because it's just too darn far to go to town for piddly things and prices (including gas) are going up. However, in case the world does come crashing down you won't see us in the FEMA lines. And the rifle will be pointed at the gate.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hell, taco bells "$2 meal deals" cost $3 now, and the $5 box meal is now $5.50...
Wow, we must be lucky... our local Taco Bells still have the meal deals for $2
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
There is a huge difference between "stocking up" and "hoarding". Stocking up (also referred to as prepping) is when you go to the store and buy six whazzits and the store will replenish them in the next day or so. There's not a shortage of whazzits - you just want some extra to keep in the house...
Thanks for the distinction. I feel so much better now that I am a "stocker", not a "hoarder".

Case in point: Recently, in my recent RV trek through California, we happened to stop by a Trader Joe's. As even chain stores like Costco often carry some regional items, we went in for a look. Then, I saw the "two-buck chuck" wines there. I do often drink this inexpensive wine, but have to pay $2.99 in my state. Here, it has always been $1.99.

So, I picked up two cases and tossed them in my motorhome and saved myself $24. My MH has a cargo carrying capacity of more than 2,500 lbs, of which I used perhaps 500 lbs, and still had a lot of reserve. I guess if I loaded it up to the gills with cases of cheap wine, I would be called a hoarder, but I did not.

Hmmm... I could have gone for 2 or 4 more cases, as I had room. Darn it!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
Wow, we must be lucky... our local Taco Bells still have the meal deals for $2
Depends on where you go. The taco bell deals can be had for the original $2 at some locations in cruddy towns or far from the highway. The ones near the highway, in nice areas or in malls are the $3 version. Taco Bell has one of the biggest variances in menu prices of any of the fast food places I go.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Thanks for the distinction. I feel so much better now that I am a "stocker", not a "hoarder".

Case in point: Recently, in my recent RV trek through California, we happened to stop by a Trader Joe's. As even chain stores like Costco often carry some regional items, we went in for a look. Then, I saw the "two-buck chuck" wines there. I do often drink this inexpensive wine, but have to pay $2.99 in my state. Here, it has always been $1.99.

So, I picked up two cases and tossed them in my motorhome and saved myself $24. My MH has a cargo carrying capacity of more than 2,500 lbs, of which I used perhaps 500 lbs, and still had a lot of reserve. I guess if I loaded it up to the gills with cases of cheap wine, I would be called a hoarder, but I did not.

Hmmm... I could have gone for 2 or 4 more cases, as I had room. Darn it!
You still wouldn't be a hoarder because all those cases of cheap wine you took off the shelf will be replaced within hours if not minutes. If there was a shortage of wine, and you took all of it all knowing it would not be restocked any time soon, then you're a hoarder. So, the moral of this story is to fill the darn RV with all the cheap wine you want so when the SHTF you're sitting pretty. Unless you start tossing all the wine bottles in the garbage for the neighbors to see and that's - as we say in Texas - a whole 'nuther matter. (Note: the mention of "cheap wine" brings back bad memories of drinking way too much Boones Farm Apple Wine as a young 'un).
Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You still wouldn't be a hoarder because all those cases of cheap wine you took off the shelf will be replaced within hours if not minutes. If there was a shortage of wine, and you took all of it all knowing it would not be restocked any time soon, then you're a hoarder. So, the moral of this story is to fill the darn RV with all the cheap wine you want so when the SHTF you're sitting pretty. Unless you start tossing all the wine bottles in the garbage for the neighbors to see and that's - as we say in Texas - a whole 'nuther matter. (Note: the mention of "cheap wine" brings back bad memories of drinking way too much Boones Farm Apple Wine as a young 'un).
If he were a true hoarder he would have filled the fresh water holding tank of his RV with cheap wine.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Can we agree that feeling nervous about possible physical damage from falling boxes while moving the pile of febreeze so you can check your inventory of paper towels qualifies you as a hoarder?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #53

Quote:
You need a hobby - preferably one not involving, guns, knives, or explosives...
But those are my favorite things.

I could not light up any fireworks on Independence Day because the weather was too dry. However, I'm planning to make up for that on New Year's Eve.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If he were a true hoarder he would have filled the fresh water holding tank of his RV with cheap wine.
Someone needs to have a strong chat with NW on priorities!

Quote:
Can we agree that feeling nervous about possible physical damage from falling boxes while moving the pile of febreeze so you can check your inventory of paper towels qualifies you as a hoarder?
Not even close. When you get remotely close to my inventory of toilet paper we'll chat. However, no matter how many cases of POM I take off the shelf at Sams they seem to mysteriously refill within minutes.

How many of you remember the run (pun unintended) on toilet paper Johnny Carson caused in the '70s?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #55

My only worry is that the satellite dish will go down and I won't be able to watch it on CNN international!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Move to Texas, you'll spend all your time fighting spiders, scorpions and fire ants.
Don't forget the rattlesnakes that may be laying in wait in your yard !
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
My only worry is that the satellite dish will go down and I won't be able to watch it on CNN international!
My only worry is the beer runs out before the Cheeze-its.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My only worry is the beer runs out before the Cheeze-its.
There is an easy solution to that.

"Give a man a brew and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Charles Shaw wine sold at Trader Joe's is produced by Fred Franzia, an unpretentious man who no longer has any business relationship with the Franzia box wine. I am not an oenophile, but find the following on Wikipedia. Obviously, when one pours a wine out of its bottle for a blind taste, his palate will not be so prejudiced when tasting something devoid of its label and price tag.
At the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition, Shaw's 2002 Shiraz received the double gold medal, besting the roughly 2,300 other wines in the competition.

Shaw's 2005 California chardonnay was judged Best Chardonnay from California at the Commercial Wine Competition of the 2007 California Exposition and State Fair. The chardonnay received 98 points, a double gold, with accolades of Best of California and Best of Class.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
"Give a man a brew and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime."
Slow drinker!