Join Early Retirement Today

CD rates going up?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

CD rates going up?

If the Fed raise interest rates his week, how long before we see CD rates rise?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't expect the anticipated 25 bp move will have a noticeable impact. I mean really this seems trivial but it could spark some special terms (which seem to occur anyway this time of year) rather than an across the board rate hike.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #3

CD rates have risen some and stabilized earlier this year already. As has 30 year mortgage rates too. I don't expect the fed to raise rates at all, and if they do a rate hike, I just don't see any effect on savings rates.

I moved cash to 5 yr cd's several mo. ago, in the low 2 - 2.2 % rate area. will take the early withdrawal penalty if / when some attractive investments come along.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #4

I think there is too much pent-up demand for yield to expect savings and short term CD rates to rise much.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hope to see some increases in the cd rates, but if not will have to agree with lakewood and invest in lower rates and eat the penalty if necessary.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been hoping / expecting that a 25 bp increase will take 5-year Jumbos to 2.5%, as I'm looking to get more into cash. Any reason that a 25 bp increase wouldn't do that?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

I don't think they will raise. It would have to be significant jump for savers to see any benefit, 25bps won't make much difference mostly for show. But the stock market might see a knee jerk reaction.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #8

The FED may not even raise rates...

C/D rates and the Fed rates have nothing to do with each other. If the future inflation prospects are dimmed due to the Fed rate rise, they could go DOWN. I expect that 10-year yields, which affect mortgage rates, may well go down.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

CD rates have very loose connection to Feds rates. I think the Feds are going to raise about .125%, just symbolic increase because they talked about it for more than a year. Many economists point out that economy does not show strong grow, inflation or improving trade deficit.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
....25bps won't make much difference mostly for show....
+1 much ado about 25 bps.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Will a Fed increase of 25 bps increase online savings account rates? Looks like 1.05% is about the highest now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

I don't expect to see much (if anything) in CD rates increases in the near future. Maybe after a couple of FED rate increases but that's most likely going to be a while.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #13

CD rates going up?

NC
Old 12-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know about CD rates, it took Wells Fargo all of 12 minutes to raise their mortgage rates though...
Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Don't know about CD rates, it took Wells Fargo all of 12 minutes to raise their mortgage rates though...
Its funny how it always seems to go that way. Any how, I don't expect to see any noticeable CD rate increases in the near term.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like CD rates at Penfed went up a bit (at least it looks like it compared to last time I checked). Still too low for me though.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I think PenFed had slightly higher rates a couple of months ago.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think PenFed had slightly higher rates a couple of months ago.
It could be. I started checking just a couple of weeks ago to see if they had a special this year. No such luck it looks like. The 5% 10-year CDs I bought from them back in early 2011 still look good at the halfway mark. Darn has it been 5 years already?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #19

CD rates going up?

Actually I think the only notable rate Penfed has is 1.11 on the 1 yr. it was 1.21 a few weeks ago. I went into the branch a couple weeks ago and asked if any specials were planned. The member services rep just shrugged.

Edit: NFCU has 20 and 30 mo CDs @ 2-2.5 pct right now.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Right - I remember seeing 1.20% on the 1 yr CD a couple of months ago, but that dropped to 1.1% recently which was what was available at the beginning of this year.

Synchrony Bank is still offering the 1.25% 1yr CD.