CD rates going up?

John467

Dryer sheet wannabe
If the Fed raise interest rates his week, how long before we see CD rates rise?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I don't expect the anticipated 25 bp move will have a noticeable impact. I mean really this seems trivial but it could spark some special terms (which seem to occur anyway this time of year) rather than an across the board rate hike.

CD rates have risen some and stabilized earlier this year already. As has 30 year mortgage rates too. I don't expect the fed to raise rates at all, and if they do a rate hike, I just don't see any effect on savings rates.

I moved cash to 5 yr cd's several mo. ago, in the low 2 - 2.2 % rate area. will take the early withdrawal penalty if / when some attractive investments come along.

Last edited:
I hope to see some increases in the cd rates, but if not will have to agree with lakewood and invest in lower rates and eat the penalty if necessary.

I've been hoping / expecting that a 25 bp increase will take 5-year Jumbos to 2.5%, as I'm looking to get more into cash. Any reason that a 25 bp increase wouldn't do that?

I don't think they will raise. It would have to be significant jump for savers to see any benefit, 25bps won't make much difference mostly for show. But the stock market might see a knee jerk reaction.

The FED may not even raise rates...

C/D rates and the Fed rates have nothing to do with each other. If the future inflation prospects are dimmed due to the Fed rate rise, they could go DOWN. I expect that 10-year yields, which affect mortgage rates, may well go down.

CD rates have very loose connection to Feds rates. I think the Feds are going to raise about .125%, just symbolic increase because they talked about it for more than a year. Many economists point out that economy does not show strong grow, inflation or improving trade deficit.

I don't expect to see much (if anything) in CD rates increases in the near future. Maybe after a couple of FED rate increases but that's most likely going to be a while.

Don't know about CD rates, it took Wells Fargo all of 12 minutes to raise their mortgage rates though...

Don't know about CD rates, it took Wells Fargo all of 12 minutes to raise their mortgage rates though...

Its funny how it always seems to go that way. Any how, I don't expect to see any noticeable CD rate increases in the near term.

Looks like CD rates at Penfed went up a bit (at least it looks like it compared to last time I checked). Still too low for me though.

I think PenFed had slightly higher rates a couple of months ago.

It could be. I started checking just a couple of weeks ago to see if they had a special this year. No such luck it looks like. The 5% 10-year CDs I bought from them back in early 2011 still look good at the halfway mark. Darn has it been 5 years already?

Actually I think the only notable rate Penfed has is 1.11 on the 1 yr. it was 1.21 a few weeks ago. I went into the branch a couple weeks ago and asked if any specials were planned. The member services rep just shrugged.

Edit: NFCU has 20 and 30 mo CDs @ 2-2.5 pct right now.

Last edited:
Right - I remember seeing 1.20% on the 1 yr CD a couple of months ago, but that dropped to 1.1% recently which was what was available at the beginning of this year.

Synchrony Bank is still offering the 1.25% 1yr CD.

Last edited:
It could be. I started checking just a couple of weeks ago to see if they had a special this year. No such luck it looks like. The 5% 10-year CDs I bought from them back in early 2011 still look good at the halfway mark. Darn has it been 5 years already?

Wish we'd bought more! Ten yrs is awfully long term for a CD but that turned out to be a great bet.

don't forget going back to the great depression even 1.50% cd's if they existed were a great deal since the cpi fell 18% and everything is relative

Last edited:
don't forget going back to the great depression even 1.50% cd's if they existed were a great deal since the cpi fell 18% and everything is relative

There were 3.5% preferred stocks issued in the mid 1940s that were never called and are still trading today. Amazingly they still trade close to par today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like CD rates at Penfed went up a bit (at least it looks like it compared to last time I checked). Still too low for me though.

Go here:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/pentagon-fcu.html#rates

There's a bunch of various terms that Pen Fed offers. Click on the orange down arrow to the right side of the term that you are interested in. It'll show you a rate history for that term.

The 5-year has been stable at 1.51% for quite a while. The 1-year is 1.11%. But, it has bounced around.

Go here:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/pentagon-fcu.html#rates

There's a bunch of various terms that Pen Fed offers. Click on the orange down arrow to the right side of the term that you are interested in. It'll show you a rate history for that term.

The 5-year has been stable at 1.51% for quite a while. The 1-year is 1.11%. But, it has bounced around.

Thanks for posting this. I've only looked quickly at this site before and I missed how much detailed info is available here.

There is a reference to 2 Pearl Harbor Specials on the page for Navy Federal Credit Union, but I can't find any details on the second one (.5% bump on any CD rate) on NFCU's website.

Back
Top Bottom