Cheap Car Lease

:confused: Is there no way that you can just give him the money and have him pay you back? That way, if he defaults, you don't take the credit risk. Also, if he defaults, you're out no more money than if you had co-signed. Plus, we're back to the liability issue again. If your name is on a loan and it is tied to the car (it will be), you will be sued if anything goes wrong. Why would you want to take that risk if there are other options?

Note, I give you credit (a lot of it) for wanting to help, but even if this guy is a saint, accidents in cars happen all the time. Be careful.

I'm in Jerry's camp on this issue. Just give (or loan, if you prefer that term) him the money to buy the car and be prepared to walk away if things go south for him. If he later pays you back that's great. But if things do go badly at least you won't be dragged down with him.

Also agree that it is great that you want to help and that you're in a position to do so, but you don't want his problems to become yours, which may well happen if you co-sign on a loan or are part owner of the car or some other similar arrangement.

A key issue with what (I think) Jerry is driving at is to not have any paperwork tying you to your relative's problems.

Aye. this is the tightrope I walk. My whole career was about helping others with THEIR problems, without making them MY problems. A distinction dental patients often struggle with.:)

Sincerely, thank you for your input. We'll get this, one way or another.

Give a man a meal.....he eats for a day.....

Teach him how to fish.....he eats forever.....

Be careful....

Give a man a meal.....he eats for a day.....

Teach him how to fish.....he eats forever.....

Be careful....
Give a man a fish , he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day.

Give a man a fish , he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night,

Set a man afire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Back
Top Bottom