Cheapest/Best way to get Intl exposure?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Any tips on the cheapest way to get international equity exposure? I am rolling money over from a 401k to my IRA so I now have pretty much any choice I want. Is EFA the way to go, or is tere some, better, cheaper way to get intl equity exposure?

You don't say which Mutual Fund company you're dealing with.
Whichever one, it's easy to select the International Fund within the Fund company.
Vanguard, for example, has 10 international/global funds.
Dodge and Cox has one.
Fidelity has a bunch too.

I like Vanguard's VPL and VWO. Very low expenses.

I used to like DODFX, but today I'm less interested in Value. I only have a very small position.
There's a Europe Viper too, I think VGK.

Some people like international bonds; I prefer intl equity and us short term bonds myself (at today's prices) to decrease exposure to us equity, but not overdo my currency exposure.

brewer12345 said:
Is EFA the way to go, or is tere some, better, cheaper way to get intl equity exposure?
Now that Tweedy, Browne is closed EFA may be the only cost-effective alternative. No dollar hedging, but maybe that's part of the plan for you.

I am sticking to my guns and I still reco Dodge & Cox Intl.  Some people on the forum dislike the "newness" of the fund but look at the long-term record of the flagship fund.  Similar approach and about as low as you can go on the expenses for actively managed.  I like the slow and steady approach & they will close to new investors before new money floods the fund.  

Other strategies the forum has mentioned in the past - basket of each Vanguard Intl index fund, i.e not the Total Intl. index and weighted differently.

Tweedy Global - offer hedged and unhedged but I think I recall someone mentioning they will closing to new investors.  Exp ratio a bit higher.

Damn I wish we all had access to DFA's index funds b/c that opens up a whole new avenue  :mad:

And I won't touch your area of expertise with foreign bond recos, esp. since I got mine from you  :D

Back
Top Bottom